You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 May 16, 2021 11:01 pm

New Historian
Active

Who do Voudou?

For summer 1975 I went to Haiti with a group of students from the Jamaica School of Art. I wasn’t an artist but it was a cool place to hang out and meet arty chicks! We stayed at a budget bed and breakfast in downtown Port-au-Prince and I was stunned by the abject povery that surrounded us, I’d seen poverty in Jamaica but this was another level altogether. One evening the boarding house served fish for dinner. I took one look in that dead eye and decided: nah. Even though I was short of money I walked down the road to eat a delicious meal of what turned out to be poulet de montagne: frog. I returned to the boarding house two hours later to a scene of utter chaos: every one of my companions who’d eaten the fish had become violently sick, two of whom had to be rushed to the hospital and thence home to Jamaica. Moral: always look a dead fish in the eye!

For the rest of the week the survivors visited artists and galleries across Port-au-Prince, but the high point of the trip was a visit to an authentic Voudou ceremony. Or the low point? I’m no expert on Voudou but I believe this was the real deal, certainly we were the only foreigners there, and they didn’t like me taking pictures. But when they started biting off chickens’ heads, I had to:

D1000001.jpg

D1000005.jpg

D1000032.jpg

#2 May 18, 2021 11:06 am

Dancer
Active

Re: Who do Voudou?

Some of these  small islands   , big ones too   ,,,,  still practice Voudou .
JAM up there  , so is Trini .  Gree of course.
Bim , not really.
Blame  Haiti
smh.

#3 May 19, 2021 7:11 am

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

For summer 1975 I went to Haiti with a group of students from the Jamaica School of Art. I wasn’t an artist but it was a cool place to hang out and meet arty chicks! We stayed at a budget bed and breakfast in downtown Port-au-Prince and I was stunned by the abject povery that surrounded us, I’d seen poverty in Jamaica but this was another level altogether. One evening the boarding house served fish for dinner. I took one look in that dead eye and decided: nah. Even though I was short of money I walked down the road to eat a delicious meal of what turned out to be poulet de montagne: frog. I returned to the boarding house two hours later to a scene of utter chaos: every one of my companions who’d eaten the fish had become violently sick, two of whom had to be rushed to the hospital and thence home to Jamaica. Moral: always look a dead fish in the eye!

For the rest of the week the survivors visited artists and galleries across Port-au-Prince, but the high point of the trip was a visit to an authentic Voudou ceremony. Or the low point? I’m no expert on Voudou but I believe this was the real deal, certainly we were the only foreigners there, and they didn’t like me taking pictures. But when they started biting off chickens’ heads, I had to:

https://i.postimg.cc/QKpKhd7n/D1000001.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/56VFp8dc/D1000005.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/tYNnc7ps/D1000032.jpg

From ah distance, would love to see one.  Got to keep distance doh, half ah them folks does be drunk.

#4 May 19, 2021 10:21 am

New Historian
Active

half ah them folks does be drunk.

WELL drunk, lots of white rum in evidence, when they not drinking it they spraying it from their mouths onto the women dancing in a trance. Weirdest shit I ever saw, one guy went into a rigid trance, eyes bulging, they lifted him up by his head and feet and carried him off, stiff as a board!

Board footer