You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Jun 10, 2021 6:14 pm

New Historian
Active

Classic crossover of rock and disco!

#2 Jun 10, 2021 7:50 pm

houston
Active

Re: Classic crossover of rock and disco!

Good music. The Stones were so versatile they could mix with any style of sound from rock, glam and glitter, disco and of course R&B.
Went to one of their shows during the big stadium era and it wasn’t all that entertaining, too big of an arena and too many fans.
Would have preferred to have seen them at their peak in a venue like the El Macambo.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpos … 31ad6/amp/

#3 Jun 10, 2021 8:47 pm

houston
Active

Interesting list of some shows of note.
Did you mention NH, that you attended a Stones show at Hyde Park?

https://imaliveoutthere.medium.com/the- … 4ccbebb6ca

#4 Jun 10, 2021 9:00 pm

New Historian
Active

Too many ads and popups to plough through to read the meat of that article on the Mocambo, which I got the gist of. Remember that time well, Stones were in their second-coming pomp: kings of rock-n-roll and boy, did they ever live up to their kingly reputations: royal decadence! That whole Toronto tour was amazing for one amazing thing: how the hell Wild Man Keith stayed out of jail for heroin possession! He was all set for some serious time when his lawyer pulled off an amazing result: in return for Keith's guilty plea, the Stones had to play a benefit concert - for the blind! You can imagine that - afterwards - the boys had a few wisecracks about the audience on that night!

Yeah I was at Hyde Park, but way back. Saw them many years later at Wembley, but they were past their prime then. Still the greatest rock-n-roll band ever.

#5 Jun 10, 2021 9:55 pm

houston
Active

Yes, Keith lucked out on that one. He could have been sentenced to several years for trafficking with the amount he had in possession. The judge ordered him to play a benefit concert for the blind.
I remember thinking about how that would work out, but it turned out to be a concert with the rest of the band, where the proceeds would be donated to the blind.
After that show, Keith Richards, Ron Wood and the New Barbarians continued on the road. I had a ticket for their Detroit show but failed to make it. Those border guards can be nasty for the simplest of reasons.

#6 Jun 10, 2021 10:20 pm

New Historian
Active

"I had a ticket for their Detroit show but failed to make it. Those border guards can be nasty for the simplest of reasons."

As my kids would say: that sucks, hairy sweaty balls! Keith's autobiog is a work of literary rock genius, opens up everything.

I'm tempted to be an old fogey and say ah they don't make rockers like they used to, but actually they do, you just got to know where to find them. My sons keep me updated.

#7 Jun 10, 2021 10:36 pm

houston
Active

I'm ready to yell at the clouds, screem at the pigeons and curse the kids for playing that horrible skateboard music so loudly.
But yeah, the youngsters do have some interesting stuff to listen to.

#8 Jun 10, 2021 11:01 pm

New Historian
Active

Speaking of great gigs missed, you know before long you'll stir up yet another 'tall tale':

The annual Isle of Wight Festival was the biggest gathering of hippies in the world, a weeklong orgy of music, drugs and hopefully sex. The 1970 Festival attracted the crème de la crème of the rock world: Jimi Hendrix, Chicago, The Doors, The Who, Miles Davis, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Jethro Tull, Sly & the Family Stone, Ten Years After, Emerson Lake & Palmer and Free. A group of us planned to drive down in two cars and camp out for the week, it was going to be epic.

Until Dad said no. ‘There’s going to be drugs and sex. You're only 17, no and that's final.’ I mentally pleaded: I KNOW there's going to be sex and drugs Dad, that’s why I’m going! No matter how I pleaded he was adamant: nope. Rob, Rog and the rest came back a week later glowing: they had a ball! The music was incredible, topped off by an incandescent performance by Jimi Hendrix. Worse was to come: as it turned out that was to be Hendrix’s last performance! Three weeks later he died in London from a drug overdose. All I had to remind me of the gig of the decade was a lousy T-shirt.

#9 Jun 11, 2021 6:19 pm

houston
Active

That was quite an event that you missed NH, legendary. To rub in the salt, I'm sure your friends would have filled you in with all the fun that you missed. Oh well, at least you got the T-shirt.
That autobiography of Richards sounds like an interesting read. The only book I've read on the Stones was called Up and Down With Rolling Stones, published around 1980. Not sure if it was all true or not but fascinating behind the scenes look written by an insider.
Another book that I read around the same time was about Jimi Hendrix. Again, very fascinating read that I couldn't put down. I think at the time that was the quickest I ever finished a book.

#10 Jun 11, 2021 6:29 pm

houston
Active

Oh yeah, Hendrix did have some legal troubles in Toronto as well.

Board footer