You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Jul 15, 2021 12:47 pm

New Historian
Active

Chad-Cameroon Pipeline: A Feast of Corruption

The Republic of Chad is in the premier league of failed states. In five decades since independence from France in 1960, Chad has been through a one-party state, two civil wars, coup d’etat, Libyan invasion, ethnic cleansing, Muslim insurgency, Tuareg uprising and, in a recent development, some semblance of democracy. Note: some semblance. After such a chequered history it comes as no surprise that Chad is one of the poorest, most corrupt countries in the world, ranked as 32nd poorest and 14th most corrupt. With the relentless southward advance of the Sahel region, most Chadians earn a subsistence living from nomadic farming.

And then; oil. In the 1990s oil reserves estimated at 1.5 billion barrels were discovered underneath the Chadian sand; but getting the oil to the coast was going to be a major challenge. With both Chad and Cameroon ranked in the top ten world’s most corruption countries, plus the Chadian government’s military adventurism in the region, the oil majors were understandably nervous about investing billions of dollars in this fragile failed state. Enter the World Bank.

The Bank leapt in where others feared to tread, spearheading an ambitious $3.7 billion project to build a 640-mile pipeline to export oil from the Chadian desert to a new offshore export terminal on Cameroon’s Atlantic coast. The stamp of approval from the World Bank was the catalyst needed to In the early 2000’s this was IFC’s big deal; the crown jewel in the Corporation’s new (if belated) focus on Africa.

Where it went wrong: The pipeline was the biggest development project in Africa when it was completed in 2003. It was funded on condition that the money be spent with international supervision to develop Chad. However, President Idris Deby's government announced in 2005 that oil money would go toward the general budget and the purchase of weapons, or else oil companies would be expelled. The World Bank’s loan has been fully repaid, and President Deby spent the oil money on regime survival and rigged elections. Until April 2021, when he was killed while commanding forces fighting rebels.

#2 Jul 17, 2021 11:18 am

Slice
Active

Re: Chad-Cameroon Pipeline: A Feast of Corruption

Why so many corruption in Black countries?  Not saying there are none in White countries, but my God, it is about time Africans countries wake up.  Even here in Grenada, corruption blows my mind.  Guess who suffers? The average and poor folks.

#3 Jul 17, 2021 2:23 pm

New Historian
Active

Sliceman, don't believe that for one moment, the only reason you know about corruption in black countries is because they're shit at it: amateurs. Brown bags and attache cases stuffed with cash, easily traceable bank deposits. But guess what? It takes two to tango and two to tief, so who is it that's corrupting the corrupt? The reason why ex-President Zuma is currently in jail and the whole nation aflame in riots goes way back to a huge arms deal scandal from about 10 years ago. French arms company Thales paid millions in bribes, but have they faced any prosecution in their home country France? Nope. British Aerospace have been found guilty several times in their murky Middle East arms dealings, they get a slap on the wrist, pay the fine and carry on.

And then of course, there's the historical corruption and looting, the David Camerons and royal families, legal looters of entire continents.

Real-looters.jpg

#4 Jul 17, 2021 5:51 pm

houston
Active

Exactly! Who is corrupting who?
Large firms pay nickels in fines for conducting unethical business.
The billions received in contracts obtained by bribery is well worth the risk of a slap on the wrist.

#5 Jul 17, 2021 6:41 pm

New Historian
Active

For global giants in the UK, France, USA etc, bribes are just a part of doing business, one sleazeball actually had the gall to tell me "We like corruption, it makes it all very simple and we know how much it costs." He didn't like my reply. Now it's all very sophisticated, brokers' fees, finders' fees, consulting fees, all perfectly legal. A very good deal I arranged for Cameroon got killed by corruption - with full and explicit support from the US government:

https://medium.com/@stevenbriansamuel/t … 2118ca6767

#6 Jul 19, 2021 8:13 am

Slice
Active

I do not have a price for illegality.  No one can pay me to do something wrong. For me its by the book or nothing.

Board footer