You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Aug 20, 2021 1:41 pm

Dancer
Active

IOWA exploring accepting more refugees from Afghanistan.

For RD .  Muslims in the heartland.  Lord Have Mercy !!
But listen  Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds said  ' Iowa is ready to welcome more.'
>> someone  from Iowa  said ,, they are not like the migrants from the Southern border. <<
  Other Red states saying they want some Afghans too.
""" TroJan Horse   ....   free access to the city '''''  Be Afraid.
RD and lots of Americans 'too confused'
" Well you voted for Trump "
...he might return any minute ... the far right say .
This is troubling. People are saying.
sad.smh.

Last edited by Dancer (Aug 20, 2021 1:42 pm)

#2 Aug 21, 2021 6:39 am

Slice
Active

Re: IOWA exploring accepting more refugees from Afghanistan.

Well maybe they realize, they need some diversity in that state.

#3 Aug 21, 2021 2:06 pm

Dancer
Active

RD  would not agree with that statement.
'bet your life ' lmao.

#4 Sep 01, 2021 11:42 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I grew up in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.  It has had a Muslim population since the 1890s.  I went to school with Muslims and, frankly, you couldn't tell them from the Methodists with a cursory look.  Muslim girls were on the cheerleading squad.

As a matter of fact, the Mother Mosque of America is in Cedar Rapids.  Check it out.  https://mothermosque.org

Here is a link to the Islamic Center in Cedar Rapids: https://www.crmosque.com

You guys really should not assume that you know everything about a place you have never been.

#5 Sep 02, 2021 10:05 am

Dancer
Active

Good to see Iowa has  a touch of a Muslim population.  Obama would not believe it .

But so glad -   some info  is available .

#6 Sep 03, 2021 11:11 am

Slice
Active

Lord Dancer, you know RD has told us about the Muslim population in his state before.  But as usual you just cant keep them things quiet.  America is really ah welcoming place. Saw someway else in America that is welcoming Muslims with open arms.  A place you might never expect.  I think it is Wisconsin.

#7 Sep 03, 2021 5:02 pm

New Historian
Active

"You guys really should not assume that you know everything about a place you have never been."

True and a common enough trap we all fall into, but at only 1% of the population the amount of Muslims in Iowa doesn't reach the "significant figure" threshold lol. Anyhow well done Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds, a Repug at that lol! Those desperate refugees will be a huge boost to the Iowan economy - they'll be super-productive 24/7!!

#8 Sep 03, 2021 5:32 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

but at only 1% of the population the amount of Muslims in Iowa doesn't reach the "significant figure" threshold lol.

Most of the state is 0%.  They are, however, concentrated in Cedar Rapids where I grew up and the nearest city to my rural home.  They are definitely a noticeable minority in Cedar Rapids.

They are also from families with well known names in Cedar Rapids in business and philanthropy.  The original Muslim immigrants came from Lebanon in the 1890s.  By now they are so integrated that you cannot tell them from anyone else. Muslim kids with blonde hair and blue eyes.   They come from families with respected names.

Of course there are many newer families of Asian and African backgrounds.  I never saw a hajib in Iowa until after about 1995.  Now they are common.  That said, the older Muslim families look, dress and sound like everyone else.

#9 Sep 03, 2021 7:02 pm

New Historian
Active

As ever with RD: Interesting, authentic - and unexpected! Interesting observation on hijabs, when your blue-eyed blonde Muslims starting wearing them - uh oh.

#10 Sep 03, 2021 7:33 pm

houston
Active

They come from families with respected names, don't ya know?

Board footer