You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#11 Sep 04, 2021 9:35 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: IOWA exploring accepting more refugees from Afghanistan.

Respected in the sense that they donate millions to build a new pediatric ward on a local hospital that gets named after the donor.  Respected in that the businesses with their names are considered good places to do business.  Good names in that they do good things for the community for generations and people remember that.

#12 Sep 04, 2021 10:52 am

houston
Active

Just kidding, I know what you are saying.

#13 Sep 05, 2021 9:53 am

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

As ever with RD: Interesting, authentic - and unexpected! Interesting observation on hijabs, when your blue-eyed blonde Muslims starting wearing them - uh oh.

We had an imam come and visit our church.  After his presentation there was a Q&A session.  I showed him two group photos in front of the Mother Mosque.  The first was from 1935 and the second was recent.

In the first, there was no Muslim type clothing.  They just looked like Iowans in the Great Depression.  Men and women were intermingled.

In the second the men and women were self segregated.  Many women wore hajibs.

I asked the imam why they seemed more conservative in 2015 than in 1935.   

He decried it and blamed Wahhabism out of Saudi Arabia.  He is a liberal imam and and says that focus on things like clothing rather than faith in God erodes any faith system.  It is not what is important.

We were all quite impressed.

#14 Sep 06, 2021 6:15 pm

New Historian
Active

"We were all quite impressed."

So am I.

Board footer