You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and announce yourself in the New Members Forum. You will be upgraded to full use of the forum when it is established you are not a spammer.

#1 Oct 05, 2021 8:53 am

Slice
Active

DREADLOCKS, SHOULD BE A STATEMENT, NOT A FASHION

I honestly hate to see the way dreads are worn today.  Wearing a dread, in the past meant something, it meant you are making a statement against all the ills of society.  Now every Tom, Dick and Mary are wearing Dreadlocks.  I honestly hate seeing folks in dreads, who do not understand the true meaning of sporting locks.

As a young man I proudly wore my dreads, making a statement against all the ills of society. I just want this dread thing to go to hell away. 
dreads should be worn only by folks who know the truth about wearing a dread.

#2 Oct 06, 2021 4:20 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: DREADLOCKS, SHOULD BE A STATEMENT, NOT A FASHION

LOL Slice you could be accused of being one of those "back in my day" old farts - but I getcha! My daughter is a fashion dread, and combined with heavy makeup there's just something WRONG about that image!

"As a young man I proudly wore my dreads, making a statement against all the ills of society."

Sliceman the Dread? Getdafukouttahere! I want picture proof!!

#3 Oct 07, 2021 12:35 pm

Slice
Active

Yea, I agree it ent right to sport dread with makeup.  Ah often wonder if the younger generation knows the history of dread.  What ah also think is very interesting is white folk who sport dread, they are rebelling about society.

No, doh have no pic, of me wearing dread.  I guess you din know ah was very rebellious growing up.  I was NJM to the core.  I also think I was one of Teddy Victor first student.  Then there was George Brizan, before he went abroad to study, he made me an atheist. George, was the first atheist I know.  Kinda interesting now being an atheist in Grenada, is probably the worst thing you can proclaim, they will never forgive you.

#4 Oct 07, 2021 2:06 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

There goes my plan to get dreads.

#5 Oct 08, 2021 10:19 am

Slice
Active

Vanni should really be a dread.  She's totally against society as we know it.  You are everything folks like Vanni and true dreads want no parts of.  Having said that one can be a dread, without wearing the hair style. Ah wonder if Expat is a dread?  Hell no.

#6 Oct 08, 2021 11:21 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Two weeks ago I took my wife to Milwaukee to see an art exhibit.  We decided to go to a nice Italian restaurant but didn't have reservations so we had to sit at the bar.  We were dressed nicely.

After a while, two younger drunk gay guys came in and sat down. (I know they were gay because they said so later.)  They sat there a while at the corner of the bar and I kind of nodded a greeting.  One of them finally said, "you two look like the richest and whitest people I have ever seen."  I laughed my ass off.

To the extent that is true, I am bourgeois as hell and about the diametric opposite of dread.

#7 Oct 08, 2021 4:02 pm

houston
Active

Have to say, I've never met a gay couple that have to tell me that they are gay.

#8 Oct 09, 2021 9:27 am

Real Distwalker
Active

They didn't have to tell me. It wasn't so much an announcement as implied in the course of conversation.

#9 Oct 09, 2021 4:39 pm

houston
Active

Next question, did you volunteer to take the missis to the art exhibition or did she have to drag you there?
Just being nosy my friend.

#10 Oct 09, 2021 6:14 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

She brought it up.  It was a moving Van Gogh exhibit she wanted to see in Paris.  Milwaukee was the best I could do.  I enjoyed it.  It was awesome.

https://vangoghmilwaukee.com/?fbclid=Iw … 5pk2syZp34

Board footer