You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Nov 01, 2021 11:28 am

Slice
Active

WHO ARE WEST INDIANS? ARE WE AFRICANS OR EUROPEANS?

In all honesty ah just doh know.  Yes the color of our skin is black and look like Africans, but everything we do are European.  Ah honestly like to know, who we are.  Ah remember this professor speaking on our WEAA, our local station here in Baltimore, and he said we do not have labels.  He said we too damn mixed up.

#2 Nov 01, 2021 11:37 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: WHO ARE WEST INDIANS? ARE WE AFRICANS OR EUROPEANS?

You aren't Africans or Europeans.  You are West Indians.  Period.

#3 Nov 02, 2021 12:22 pm

Dancer
Active

Chinese are Chinese  where ever they go.
Indians are Indians where ever the Live.
White people are white people where ever they go .
Africans (black people )  in the Caribbean  are .... Caribbean - ers . * what BS *
" brainwashing days are over."
Africans are Africans where ever they live .

#4 Nov 02, 2021 1:34 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

What a dog's breakfast of bullshit.

You aren't even consistent.  To make a consistent point you would have said "white people are Europeans wherever they go" and I can assure you that is abject nonsense. 

I am white but I sure as hell ain't European.  I'd sound like an idiot if I claimed to be European.  I didn't even travel to Europe the first time until I was 50 years old.  I'm not European and Slice isn't African. My ancestors were European but I am not.  Never was.  Never will be.

#5 Nov 02, 2021 6:45 pm

New Historian
Active

"What a dog's breakfast of bullshit."

Indeedy. Having lived a decade in Africa and traveled to most of its countries, I can safely attest to the fact that, apart from racial features, there's not much African about black West Indians. With the exception of Ghana - where most of us originated. The similarity in food, accents, mannerisms and general outlook is remarkable. Even Jamaican Anansi stories are straight out of Ghana, unfiltered.

https://kidworldcitizen.org/anansi-stor … enerations.

#6 Nov 02, 2021 7:41 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I am sure that is the case.

There is no doubt that a lot of my culture and traditions are of European origin.  I don't deny that.

My DNA test has me at about 95% Germanic and Scandinavian origin.  I always thought I was mostly Czech but not according to the DNA. 

Who cares really?  I identify as an American and an Iowan.  That's what I am and I am what I am and what I ain't is a German or Swede.

#7 Nov 03, 2021 11:41 am

Dancer
Active

Take away ( outlaw) your name ....
Take away  ( outlaw )  your language ...
Pigmentation is a little more difficult ...   lol. But some try. Oh Lord. Jeez.
Now .... take away your vote.
Will it never end
The false narrative.

#8 Nov 03, 2021 11:54 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I speak only English.  None of my European ancestors came from English speaking countries.  I speak none of the languages of my ancestors.

My last name is Smith.  It was changed from Schmidt over 100 years ago due to anti-German sentiments.

When I was young it was socially important to get a tan.  Anyone who had pale white skin was laughed at.

So it goes.

#9 Nov 03, 2021 12:48 pm

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

You aren't Africans or Europeans.  You are West Indians.  Period.

Growing up and even later in my life, I always thought I was African, but knowing the only similarities we share with folks from the main land is the color of our skin. I now truly believe I am West Indian with the exception of Jamaica.  Ever since that Jamaican professor kinda  made it clear, ah still was wrestling with my being. I am no longer wrestling.  I am West Indian, to be more specific, I am ah Spiceman.  RD ah agree with you ah million percent.

#10 Nov 03, 2021 12:51 pm

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

"What a dog's breakfast of bullshit."

Indeedy. Having lived a decade in Africa and traveled to most of its countries, I can safely attest to the fact that, apart from racial features, there's not much African about black West Indians. With the exception of Ghana - where most of us originated. The similarity in food, accents, mannerisms and general outlook is remarkable. Even Jamaican Anansi stories are straight out of Ghana, unfiltered.

https://kidworldcitizen.org/anansi-stor … enerations.

You drove it home.  I was honestly wondering what were your thought on that matter.

Board footer