You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Nov 02, 2021 7:37 pm

New Historian
Active

Books books books!

It's been a great USA trip, seeing family, health checks (good for another 100,000 miles!), buying bits and pieces, and especially: books-books-books!! I love browsing bookstores, especially used ones. This lot will give me hours, weeks, months and even years of endless immersion!

Booksbooksbooks.jpg

#2 Nov 02, 2021 7:55 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Books books books!

Love them too.  I finished The 'Assassination of Maurice Bishop' on Kindle but bought the book on dead-tree anyway.  Gotta have paper!

#3 Nov 02, 2021 8:05 pm

New Historian
Active

Best find this trip was Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - for ten bucks apiece!

#4 Nov 02, 2021 8:34 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Many years ago I walked out of a used book store with a first edition of Orwell's 1984 for five bucks.  Still have it.

#5 Nov 02, 2021 10:31 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

Many years ago I walked out of a used book store with a first edition of Orwell's 1984 for five bucks.  Still have it.

Amazing. There's one in DC that I love, plus books they sell all kinds of old maps, posters and obscurata. Andthe people who work in them are always booky-hippyish types, who really love the books they sell - and have read half of them!

#6 Nov 02, 2021 10:47 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I love books on paper but lately my reading has been on Kindle.  The back lighting helps my old eyes and I can read much longer without getting tired.  If I really like the book, I buy it on paper after I finish it on Kindle.

I have a copy of 'To Kill a Mockingbird' signed by Harper Lee.

Looking at your books there, I see you have a volume by Alison Weir.  I have read several of her books about Tudor England.  She is awesome.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Nov 02, 2021 10:48 pm)

#7 Nov 03, 2021 11:28 am

Dancer
Active

You surprise me    .....  'sometimes'   ..... reading     ....   'to kill a mocking bird' .

Better than a library filled with 16 century history. lol.

#8 Nov 03, 2021 11:44 am

Dancer
Active

New Historian wrote:

It's been a great USA trip, seeing family, health checks (good for another 100,000 miles!), buying bits and pieces, and especially: books-books-books!! I love browsing bookstores, especially used ones. This lot will give me hours, weeks, months and even years of endless immersion!

https://i.postimg.cc/N5B00v0t/Booksbooksbooks.jpg

....NH. You must really try to widen your retiring book reading.
Do you want me to suggest other reading material .
Smh.

#9 Nov 03, 2021 12:54 pm

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

Lord it is hard to read in Grenada. As soon as you tink you have a chill day, someone calling up, lets go nah man.  Ah want to read that Chris Deriggs new book real bad.

Glad you had fun in the good ole USA.

#10 Nov 03, 2021 1:01 pm

New Historian
Active

Dancer wrote:
New Historian wrote:

....NH. You must really try to widen your retiring book reading.
Do you want me to suggest other reading material .
Smh.

Suggest away!

Board footer