You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Nov 03, 2021 12:33 pm

Dancer
Active

Why Jesus was an activist.

" Some things just don't sit right with me.  So I must give another view "

So here goes !  .......... JESUS TALK

**** Being born to a peasant family , Jesus became the vanguard of liberation for the marginalized  peasant class and stood for truth and justice.
Which placed him on the blacklist of the State and became the reason for his execution.  ****

"" He is real , authentic , relevant . He spoke with honesty . He was a man on a mission , he was a radical  , a revolutionary , yet , tender  and kind and loving .
""" He was doing things completely against the rules of the day.
""" He was a mix of Justice , kindness , judgement and grace.
( can't claim the above were are all my words )  .... by one should get the drift. )

....... Altar Boy .....  where art thou ???

#2 Nov 03, 2021 12:56 pm

Slice
Active

Re: Why Jesus was an activist.

Dancer wrote:

" Some things just don't sit right with me.  So I must give another view "

So here goes !  .......... JESUS TALK

**** Being born to a peasant family , Jesus became the vanguard of liberation for the marginalized  peasant class and stood for truth and justice.
Which placed him on the blacklist of the State and became the reason for his execution.  ****

"" He is real , authentic , relevant . He spoke with honesty . He was a man on a mission , he was a radical  , a revolutionary , yet , tender  and kind and loving .
""" He was doing things completely against the rules of the day.
""" He was a mix of Justice , kindness , judgement and grace.
( can't claim the above were are all my words )  .... by one should get the drift. )

....... Altar Boy .....  where art thou ???

Me ent believe in them  Anancy stories about Jesus and them, wicked folks in the Bible.

#3 Nov 03, 2021 11:04 pm

New Historian
Active

Cool dude? He was a revolutionary, why else would the Romans crucify him? They reserved that punishment for enemies of Rome, like the 5,000 gladiators of the failed Spartacus uprising Marcus Crassus crucified along the Appian Way. History is written, and highly edited, by the victors, and the later 'converted' Romans heavily doctored the so-called scriptures to suit their political ends. If they lied about his birth and death and converted existing pagan festivals to conform to the new orthodoxy, what else wouldn't they lie about? All his so-called miracles were simply a crock of crap, invented to fool foolish peasants. Ever read Holy Blood Holy Grail? Eye opening.

Last edited by New Historian (Nov 03, 2021 11:06 pm)

#4 Nov 04, 2021 9:59 am

Slice
Active

Amen.

#5 Nov 04, 2021 11:36 am

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

Cool dude? He was a revolutionary, why else would the Romans crucify him?

Cool dude and revolutionary aren't mutually exclusive.  Maurice Bishop should have proved that.

If you recall the story, the Romans had no interest in executing Christ.  Pontius Pilate famously washed his hands of the whole thing. 

It was the Sanhedrin, the Jewish council of priestly and lay elders who arrested Jesus during Passover.  They were deeply threatened by his teachings.  They demanded that he be executed.

According to the Gospel of Mark, Pilate came to the defense of Jesus before giving in to the mob.  Pilate offered to commute the death sentence by popular vote but the Jewish crowd chose the criminal Barabbas over Jesus.

The bottom line is that the Roman's executed Christ on the insistence of the Sanhedrin and the mob they stirred up.  Remember, Judas got paid his 30 pieces of silver not from the Romans, but from the high priests at Gethsemane.

So Christ was indeed a revolutionary but he wasn't a threat to the Romans, he was a threat to the established Jewish religion and order.

He was also a cool dude.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Nov 04, 2021 11:39 am)

#6 Nov 04, 2021 12:28 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Of course the most revolutionary thing Christ did was allow himself to be crucified thus tearing the veil in the temple from top to bottom opening the way for a sinful humankind to have access to the presence of God.

#7 Nov 04, 2021 1:31 pm

Dancer
Active

New Historian wrote:

Cool dude? He was a revolutionary, why else would the Romans crucify him? They reserved that punishment for enemies of Rome, like the 5,000 gladiators of the failed Spartacus uprising Marcus Crassus crucified along the Appian Way. History is written, and highly edited, by the victors, and the later 'converted' Romans heavily doctored the so-called scriptures to suit their political ends. If they lied about his birth and death and converted existing pagan festivals to conform to the new orthodoxy, what else wouldn't they lie about? All his so-called miracles were simply a crock of crap, invented to fool foolish peasants. Ever read Holy Blood Holy Grail? Eye opening.

' Man Historian , first I understand where your name derived from , but should it be " NEW "?  Lo.

' Anyhow  you made me read  lots of 'tib bits'  about the  > Holy  blood  Holy Grail <  and Mary Magdalene -  I am  thankful . lol.
... lots of it cause me to think of today's Q. ....lol.
It merits   much more reading from the Knights to  France .  RD ?

' But Last night/ this morning ...... something blew me away  ... a first for moi .

> The new Chalice ...... 'not made of metal  ??????

**** They concluded that the Holy Grail is simultaneously the WOMB of Mary Magdalene and the sacred blood line she gave birth to ....

' Man  Historian , Altar boy , can't play with you .     ......
LOL.

#8 Nov 04, 2021 3:39 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

History is written, and highly edited, by the victors, and the later 'converted' Romans heavily doctored the so-called scriptures to suit their political ends.

There are many sources of the scriptures in the original Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic that predate Constantine and the Edict of Milan.

#9 Nov 04, 2021 3:47 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
New Historian wrote:

Cool dude? He was a revolutionary, why else would the Romans crucify him?

Cool dude and revolutionary aren't mutually exclusive.  Maurice Bishop should have proved that.

If you recall the story, the Romans had no interest in executing Christ.  Pontius Pilate famously washed his hands of the whole thing. 

It was the Sanhedrin, the Jewish council of priestly and lay elders who arrested Jesus during Passover.  They were deeply threatened by his teachings.  They demanded that he be executed.

According to the Gospel of Mark, Pilate came to the defense of Jesus before giving in to the mob.  Pilate offered to commute the death sentence by popular vote but the Jewish crowd chose the criminal Barabbas over Jesus.

The bottom line is that the Roman's executed Christ on the insistence of the Sanhedrin and the mob they stirred up.  Remember, Judas got paid his 30 pieces of silver not from the Romans, but from the high priests at Gethsemane.

So Christ was indeed a revolutionary but he wasn't a threat to the Romans, he was a threat to the established Jewish religion and order.

He was also a cool dude.

That is if you believe every word of the so-called Gospels. Which is a big stretch. They differ on many key points, they blatantly make up stuff, and they blatantly were 'edited' to suit the purposes, nefarious and otherwise, of the rulers of the day. Who 'wrote' the 'word of god'? Who decided what was in the bible, and what was blasphemy? Men! The Council of Nicea was no more that a political convention, with the aim of establishing Roman orthodoxy. Question: How come 'miracles' were a dime a dozen in those days, where did the miracles go?

As if the New Testament isn't bad enough, the Old is so patently a complete compendium of porky pies (Cockney rhyming slang: lies). You're a bright fella, are you really telling me the 'cool dude' raised the dead, walked on water and fed a million people from one fish? Come on now! Don't even talk about the Ark, parting of the Dead Sea, burning bush (er, lightning?) and all that other gar-bage.

If you tell me you believe in the MESSAGE of the Bible, fine, but the words? As we say in South Africa: assablif! Oh puhleeze!

#10 Nov 04, 2021 3:58 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I don't pay much attention to the Old Testament except Ecclesiastes which, in the King James verbiage, is some of the most beautiful words in the English language. 

I don't think the four canonical gospels differ much on the question of who condemned Christ and what Pilate's role in the whole thing was.

We aren't really talking about miracles or religion here, are we?  Or maybe I have lost the plot. 

I was responding to your original claim that Christ was a revolutionary against Rome.  I don't think there is much evidence of that.  After all, he outsmarted the Pharisees who questioned him when he told them to go ahead and render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's.

Now, I think the it is pretty clear that the authors of the Gospels were doing their best to tear down the established Jewish religion and turn every Saul into a newborn Paul.  There is no question of that.

Look, I don't really want to debate religion with you.  What's the point? 

I do like discussing the history/narrative, however, even if you think the history is a nancy story.  It really doesn't matter.  If we were discussing Hamlet we wouldn't be arguing about whether it really happened or not.  We'd just be talking about suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

Board footer