You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#11 Nov 16, 2021 10:27 pm

houston
Active

Re: YESTERDAY, WAS ONE OF THE FUN DAYS TO WATCH TV

Ever been in jail in Canada?
Those injuns can be good friends. Believe me when I say they have suffered a lot more than most.

#12 Nov 16, 2021 10:38 pm

New Historian
Active

Yes I've heard of their plight. And people still celebrating Columbus day, that evil bastard. He was so evil in his treatment of the Indians, even in those evil days he was sent back to Spain in chains.

#13 Nov 17, 2021 12:21 pm

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

I ent know nothing about no Washington Post poll, but it is plain common sense tat the term is offensive. The fact that "no one knows" if it is found to be offensive among the majority of Native Americans simply points to one thing: their total powerlessness, in American social and political life. If a team had a name that was "offensive to US blacks ("The Cleveland Coons"?), you can bet your life there'd be a thousand polls and lots of pressure for decades to change it. But Indians? Who gives a flying fart about those drunken bums on their reservations? Actually I like the 'Skins logo, it sends a strong message. But the name doesn't.

There was about 10 articles on this topic, that is in favor of keeping the Redskins name.  Post polls are the most reliable, and trusted in America.

#14 Nov 17, 2021 12:38 pm

New Historian
Active

Slice wrote:
New Historian wrote:

I ent know nothing about no Washington Post poll, but it is plain common sense tat the term is offensive. The fact that "no one knows" if it is found to be offensive among the majority of Native Americans simply points to one thing: their total powerlessness, in American social and political life. If a team had a name that was "offensive to US blacks ("The Cleveland Coons"?), you can bet your life there'd be a thousand polls and lots of pressure for decades to change it. But Indians? Who gives a flying fart about those drunken bums on their reservations? Actually I like the 'Skins logo, it sends a strong message. But the name doesn't.

There was about 10 articles on this topic, that is in favor of keeping the Redskins name.  Post polls are the most reliable, and trusted in America.

Yes, and there's a million articles about keeping the Confederate statues, that don't make it right, right? I seriously can't believe that you, a proud Black man, can be so blind to the deeply offensive nature of these names and logos.

Where's RD????

#15 Nov 17, 2021 3:49 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Statues to Confederates are monuments to treasonous criminals, slavers and losers.  Every single one should be removed from public.

Most of the hype over Native American mascots, however, is just white liberals showing how 'enlightened' they are. I know and have asked Indians (yes, they refer to themselves as Indians) what they think and I have never heard one yet say they are offended by the 'Cleveland Indians', the 'North Dakota Fighting Sioux' or the 'Atlanta Braves;.  They almost universally say it is a compliment. 

I have had one or two tell me the "Redskins" name is problematic but most of my Meskwaki acquaintances just shrug that one off too.

Redskins aside, it is pretty hard for me to see how the logo below is anything other than praise and admiration.

Opera-Snapshot-2021-11-17-134714-www-ebay-com.png

#16 Nov 17, 2021 5:04 pm

New Historian
Active

"Redskins aside, it is pretty hard for me to see how the logo below is anything other than praise and admiration."

Fair enough, but this 'little Indian boy' is cringe worthy

Cleveland-logo.jpg

#17 Nov 17, 2021 5:07 pm

New Historian
Active

When I was at Univ of Michigan I fell in love with a Potawotami girl, visions of her in buckskins and a feather in her hair visited me every night lol. Then I saw her warrior boyfriend: big as a teepee! Thus ended my love affair with the Indian squaw lol.

#18 Nov 17, 2021 6:35 pm

houston
Active

New Historian wrote:

"Redskins aside, it is pretty hard for me to see how the logo below is anything other than praise and admiration."

https://i.postimg.cc/JyFjzBns/Cleveland-logo.jpg

That guy is known as Chief Wahoo.
I don’t know what the designers were thinking or not thinking when they gave him a red skin colour. That is cringe worthy.
I do like the big smile on his face, he looks pretty happy.

This is the logo that the Cleveland Indians used from 1946-1950. Much more representative of the actual skin colour of a Native American.

Logo-of-the-Cleveland-Indians-1946-1950.png

#19 Nov 17, 2021 8:48 pm

houston
Active

New Historian wrote:

When I was at Univ of Michigan I fell in love with a Potawotami girl, visions of her in buckskins and a feather in her hair visited me every night lol. Then I saw her warrior boyfriend: big as a teepee! Thus ended my love affair with the Indian squaw lol.

I lost my virginity with a Wagon Burner at the ripe age of seventeen. She was something sweet and I still think about that experience to this day.

#20 Nov 18, 2021 12:43 am

New Historian
Active

houston wrote:
New Historian wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/JyFjzBns/Cleveland-logo.jpg

That guy is known as Chief Wahoo.
I don’t know what the designers were thinking or not thinking when they gave him a red skin colour. That is cringe worthy.
I do like the big smile on his face, he looks pretty happy.

This is the logo that the Cleveland Indians used from 1946-1950. Much more representative of the actual skin colour of a Native American.

https://i.postimg.cc/Jy7t1nPs/Logo-of-the-Cleveland-Indians-1946-1950.png

Yeah, just like she looks happy:

Pickney.jpg

Board footer