You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Jan 05, 2022 7:05 pm

houston
Active

The mass urban exodus

Over the past 2 years a tremendous number of employees of large firms have had the luxury of working from home. Many have migrated to the rurals for cheaper housing after selling the city home, which in turn has driven up the price of rural property. Good for them to be able to escape the rat race of urban life.
Many have sold there urban home and moved into the cottage on the lake year round. Stories of couples working for the same firm able to buy cheap in Nova Scotia, live by the sea and bring their jobs with them. Or an employee that relocates and moves permentally into the vacation home in Belize.
Employers are allowing this as they don't have much choice but at the same time taking notice of the fact that if this job can be done from anywhere, why not fold up the downtown headquarters. Get rid of that expensive tower and also hire employees in India, Bangladesh, Central America or wherever the salaries are a fraction of the cost.
Manufacturing jobs were exported years ago. Are the office jobs next?

#2 Jan 06, 2022 1:08 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: The mass urban exodus

Covid has permanently changed the work/travel life, permanently. Companies, and employees, are finding that working from home isn't all that bad, and Zoom calls killed the meeting (thank god!). The webinar killed my favourite: the conference, and companies/governments are finding that they can do without most of the business trips they used to go on!

It's a brave new world out there...

#3 Jan 06, 2022 3:05 pm

Slice
Active

Five million Americans has left their jobs.  They are mostly in the service areas.  Working from home ent helping these folks.  They are simple leaving one job for a better one much more monies.

I am honestly now sure if working from home is a good alternative for the younger generations.  They just do not take their jobs very seriously.

Now wifee been working from home for last six months.  Lord it's like she still in the office. She takes lunch at the allotted time and does everything by the book.

Younger folks are not that discipline.

#4 Jan 06, 2022 7:52 pm

houston
Active

I've never been one to enjoy in person meetings, being well shaved is a requirement.
These remote meetings on Teams takes some adjusting. Always a struggle to find that mute button and make sure the camera setting is off. Many times people forget to mute so it's nothing but dogs barking and kids crying in the background when management presents it's latest expectations.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking by it.

#5 Jan 06, 2022 9:16 pm

New Historian
Active

houston wrote:

I've never been one to enjoy in person meetings, being well shaved is a requirement.
These remote meetings on Teams takes some adjusting. Always a struggle to find that mute button and make sure the camera setting is off. Many times people forget to mute so it's nothing but dogs barking and kids crying in the background when management presents it's latest expectations.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking by it.

EVERYBODY who I "meet" with on Zoom knows "the barker"!! My dog Fuggy sometimes just gets it into herself to sing an opera! Thank god I haven't, yet, cussed off the people I'm meeting with, mistakenly thinking the mute button is on - but give me time!

#6 Jan 08, 2022 8:46 pm

houston
Active

My last boss had a dog breeding business. Whenever she spoke during a conference call it sounded as though she was in the midst of a kennel. I love dogs too but thankfully she got promoted to another position and the noise went with her.
Didn't last long, the new boss has her dog opera going on as well.
Arf, arf, arf..

#7 Jan 09, 2022 12:59 am

New Historian
Active

One day I was walking in the back streets of Peckham, a dodgy area of South (Saaf) London, talking on my Blackberry to a conference call in Washington. I spotted two decidedly dodgy looking yoot-dem, walking towards me on the other side of the street. And they spotted my Blackberry. As they crossed the road and moved in for the kill, one of them about to ask for a light, or the time or whatever was their SOP, I pointed at them and shouted, loud: I CLOCKED YOU TWO CUNTS, KEEP THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME!! They backed off. The goodly white people on the other end of the conference call erupted: Mr. Samuel, what was THAT!! It's alright, you just wouldn't understand.

#8 Jan 25, 2022 5:11 pm

Beautiful Bradly Bolton
Active

Lot's of things about the work place will never be the same and I most certainly agree that we will be better off for it. My final job with corporate America was made utterly unbearable by the large office space at it was in December of 2019. Human Resources Departments along with Insurance Companies and Lawyers made it that way. It was a place to go have the life sucked out of you for a pay check. "Compliance Issues" for fear of offending the latest group of freaks of nature by not ascribing to their insanity, whatever it may be was at a point where it made it hard for people who just want to go to work, take care of business and go home at the end of the day dread breathing the wrong way. It was unbearable.

People just want to do their job but that alone isn't good enough anymore.

I'm going on my 3rd year away from the corporate workplace. It's hard to adapt at my age. Nonetheless, I don't get out of bed every day knowing that I will be spending my day doing things that make no sense and that is very rewarding. I have all my time and energy at my disposal, to do with as I please...

... and here I am, liming in Talkshop.

Well, I've been gone for a while, trying to take care of business.

#9 Yesterday 8:27 am

Slice
Active

I think I was a work devil.  I honestly thought I would miss the workplace. Hell, no I don't.  I think it's so much fun to just live your life for you.  If me wife din ban me from staying in Grenada more than 3 months, I would spend 8 or 9 months in Grenada.

Once she retires, we would be all over the place.  I honestly enjoy retirement.

I am very sorry for some of my friends that are older than me and still working; not, because they want to, but because they have to.

#10 Today 10:19 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I could retire today if I wanted to.  I don't want to.  I like my work. Frankly, I can't stand the thought of giving it up.

Board footer