You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Jan 12, 2022 10:01 am

Slice
Active

WHEN IT'S TIME TO LET GO AS A PARENT

Say it how you want it, these young folks have a mind of their own.  They are fiercely independent and want to do things their way.

I swear if I was living in Grenada at 40 years old and ah was living with my grandparents, they still would control every aspect of my behavior.

These younger folks think they know every damn thing; so, when is it time to give up and ah say ah done?  Honestly ah doh tink I will ever give in once you are under my roof.

Last edited by Slice (Jan 12, 2022 10:03 am)

#2 Jan 12, 2022 12:07 pm

Dancer
Active

Re: WHEN IT'S TIME TO LET GO AS A PARENT

Man Slice you are surprising me.
A parent's job is never done ..... I think.  Children say or  try to project   'I know it all'
..... Understanding comes into play here.

' You have to be cool , and say what you see  ,,,, NOT too  much advice  ,,,,, but  show a different way to see things.

**** I find what children miss in North America is the voice of older folks ****

Example ,,,,, grandmothers , boys in the village ,   and men  that you tell of their navigation in the world.

**** they play sometimes , they don't listen ..... BUT they do.
Keep it cool  and put the anger  away.

80% of parents have the same problem.     ..... AN  NOT  the grandmothers/fathers  around  to cool the waters.
Hang in there .

Last edited by Dancer (Jan 12, 2022 12:11 pm)

#3 Jan 12, 2022 1:32 pm

New Historian
Active

"A parent's job is never done"

You dead right there. And I don't want it to done.

#4 Jan 12, 2022 2:48 pm

New Historian
Active

"Letting go" as a parent is like letting go of the steering wheel: it's against all human instincts. You let them go, but you watch them all the way. With concern, pride, love.

#5 Jan 13, 2022 11:36 am

Slice
Active

To me it's very frustrating, when you know you are giving it your all, and there is no meeting halfway.  As a parent you almost to do exist, if you know your child is doing somethings wrong.  You want that child to be perfect and you think and you know you the only one that can make that happen.  But there are the outsides forces, that has more influence on your child than you.  Honestly, it drives me nuts.

I give up on people rather quickly, hope I don't do the same with me child.  Really it might be that I was raised as Caribbean child, and ah want to raise my child the same way, but the American system has much more power than me.

Please do not read too much in my comments, he is doing well, but just wish he would listen to me much more.

#6 Jan 13, 2022 2:38 pm

New Historian
Active

"but just wish he would listen to me much more."

So said every parent - ever!!! smile

I know you and he doing good Sliceman, but yeah we always want better for them.

#7 Jan 14, 2022 12:13 pm

Slice
Active

He made me sell ah nice piece of land, ah was hoping to give him in Grenada.  He said dad if you leave it for me, ah selling it as soon as you and mom dead.

Now he changing he mind about Grenada.  He could very well be with me on my next visit to Grenada.

Ah hope that NNP guy, you and I lime with the last time is also in Grenada.  We can burst ah lime again.  I think he comes down every three months.

Board footer