You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Mar 02, 2022 7:28 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

The Parallel Between Russia and America Attacking Threatening Nations

My dear fellow West Indians, why do we bother to think about the situation between Russia and the Ukraine without seeing the parallel between Grenada and in the USA during the country's revolution in the late 70's. Russia and the USA are superpowers who control nations they considered a threat. Russia does not want Ukraine to join the western block because it would pose a problem for its military state. The USA did not want Grenada and Jamaica to join up with Cuba-- who were aligned with Russia. Politics is a bitch!

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (Mar 02, 2022 8:51 pm)

#2 Mar 02, 2022 9:03 pm

houston
Active

Re: The Parallel Between Russia and America Attacking Threatening Nations

Maybe because what is going on could effect the entire world, including the WSS world.

#3 Mar 03, 2022 8:04 am

New Historian
Active

Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

My dear fellow West Indians, why do we bother to think about the situation between Russia and the Ukraine without seeing the parallel between Grenada and in the USA during the country's revolution in the late 70's. Russia and the USA are superpowers who control nations they considered a threat. Russia does not want Ukraine to join the western block because it would pose a problem for its military state. The USA did not want Grenada and Jamaica to join up with Cuba-- who were aligned with Russia. Politics is a bitch!

Yup, just like the Bay of Pigs, US invasion of Panama, you name it. But I'm surprised at your use of the word bitch Cal, really?

#4 Mar 03, 2022 9:17 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I don't suppose it would do any good for me to attempt to argue that we are better than the Russians.  I mean seriously.  Right or wrong we pour money into our nation building and we eventually leave.  I mean we aren't occupiers in Panama.  We returned the Canal Zone.  If the Germans asked us to take our soldiers and leave their country we would go.  Our troops in Poland and Estonia right now are very much appreciated by the Poles and Estonians. 

You can hate on US military adventurism but that Obama kept troops in Afghanistan doesn't make him morally identical to Vlad Putin.  At least relatively speaking, we are the good guys.

#5 Mar 03, 2022 10:27 am

Slice
Active

Well WSS, as an active PRA solider and someone who at that time believed in the Cuba doctrine, and well it was the soviet doctrine also.  There is a difference. 

I now ask myself these questions, would I rather reside in country, that I can't speak freely?
Should anyone tell me how much cars I can own?
Should the state tell me what I can eat on difference days?
I do not like it when anyone try taking way my freedom.  If Cuba was allowed to take over Grenada, My right to demonstrate would be taken away.
I kinda love living in a state that despite their sometimes-racist past and future, you can still achieve anything you want, including the President and Vice President.

America is a double standard country, but they are on the right side of humanity.

WSS, given a choice would you rather live in Russia?  I think you made your choice very clear.

#6 Mar 03, 2022 11:06 am

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

I don't suppose it would do any good for me to attempt to argue that we are better than the Russians.  I mean seriously.  Right or wrong we pour money into our nation building and we eventually leave.  I mean we aren't occupiers in Panama.  We returned the Canal Zone.  If the Germans asked us to take our soldiers and leave their country we would go.  Our troops in Poland and Estonia right now are very much appreciated by the Poles and Estonians. 

You can hate on US military adventurism but that Obama kept troops in Afghanistan doesn't make him morally identical to Vlad Putin.  At least relatively speaking, we are the good guys.

Thou dost protesteth overmuch. Rule number one: no invaders are "good guys". Rule number two: invaders act for their own good, not the invadee. Rule number three: America is the biggest invader of all.

#7 Mar 03, 2022 11:28 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Yep.  Rule number one, all injuries are injuries.  A mosquito breaks the skin and results in a loss of blood.  So does a bullet wound.  Therefore, a mosquito bite and  bullet wound are the same.

#8 Mar 03, 2022 12:03 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

The 82nd Airborne just "invaded" Poland.  The 101st Airborne just "invaded" Lithuania.  Do you know who isn't complaining?   Poles and Lithuanians.  Do you know who would love to see American tanks and planes cross the border into their country?  Ukrainians.

Not every military action is like every other military action.

#9 Mar 03, 2022 12:33 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

The 82nd Airborne just "invaded" Poland.  The 101st Airborne just "invaded" Lithuania.  Do you know who isn't complaining?   Poles and Lithuanians.  Do you know who would love to see American tanks and planes cross the border into their country?  Ukrainians.

Not every military action is like every other military action.

Try again, nobody invaded Poland or Lithuania, need I remind you?

in·va·sion /inˈvāZHən/ noun: an instance of invading a country or region with an armed force.

Jeez dude, take a little criticism of the US's global military policy and record - it's only a mosquito bite! smile

And let's face it: there's a LOT to criticize, let's start with two Iraqs, one 20-year disaster in Afghanistan, and move backwards from then. A rich vein of misdeeds. So take it on the chin old chap; you're still a good fellow!

#10 Mar 03, 2022 1:18 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Nothing you said diminishes the fact that this thread pretends there is no moral difference between the US and Russia.  That is bullshit.

Board footer