You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Mar 14, 2022 11:51 pm

New Historian
Active

Even a wet day on water...

... is better than a dry day on land!

boat-day.jpg

#2 Mar 15, 2022 2:21 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Re: Even a wet day on water...

This is a skill you have that I truly envy!!

#3 Mar 15, 2022 4:07 pm

Dancer
Active

*****  lord !   N. Historian  ?  Is that you  ?

Dreams of a Jet-setter ' lol.
Cool.

#4 Mar 15, 2022 4:56 pm

New Historian
Active

That's the best kind of boat: OPB - other people's boat!! smile

I've had 3 boats, 1 yacht, 2 powerboats, 1 for pleasure, 2 for business. I loved 'em all, but loved selling 'em even better! For 3 years I had a small tourist business in Greenz, lotsa fun but not lotsa what I would call "wet money"! Long ago I worked in shipping, crossed the Atlantic 5 times, in my heart I'm still a sailor. This is Jump-Up, a 36-foot wooden sailboat with no engine, my brother and I learned to sail by taking her on a crazy month-long trip through the eastern Caribbean, barely managing to avoid disasters along the way!

the-day-I-bought-Jump-Up.jpg

#5 Mar 15, 2022 7:07 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Brave way to learn-- you and your brother. I love to sail too. Anytime I go on vacation, I just hire a boat and the sailor takes me out. I did this in Margarita, Dominica, Grenada, France and I am going to go to Malta in June. I want to be able to do it myself. Could you PLEASE help me, Sir????????

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (Mar 15, 2022 7:27 pm)

#6 Mar 16, 2022 11:23 pm

New Historian
Active

Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

Brave way to learn-- you and your brother. I love to sail too. Anytime I go on vacation, I just hire a boat and the sailor takes me out. I did this in Margarita, Dominica, Grenada, France and I am going to go to Malta in June. I want to be able to do it myself. Could you PLEASE help me, Sir????????

Mark the date, a landmark!! Calypso/WSS, the Great Female Warrior, Man-Hater (or at least NH-Hater!), has actually asked, nay begged, ME, to help her!!!! Wow, what a glorious day!! I would be GLAD to, my dear (oops, do I dare say that?), just come to Greenz and I'll be your sailor-man. Okay, well, your sailor, not the man part lol!

Any time.

#7 Mar 17, 2022 6:14 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Thanks, I'll consider that for next year. (My first choice is Jamaica) By the way, I just don't like men. I HATE NO ONE! Sailing... on the wide deep ocean... with only you... safe? You seem trustworthy.

#8 Mar 17, 2022 8:09 pm

Dancer
Active

Excuses , excuses  ....  sentences like  the following  highlight the confusion  . smh.
....  'i just can't let them stand ' .

> I just don't like men - I HATE NO ONE  < ...  fear , but what are you offering ?

'  I must not jump to conclusions  . Two sides to a Florin , one side the Queen , the other side  , Various floral designs. . Which side are you on , let's be clear. '

" I hope  when NH takes you out in the Dinghy ,  he wears his life jacket * at all times * He might just be ravenously  attacked  , with screams of hunger and desire  , that might  just flip the little Dinghy . Putting  all  of  his years of sea-fearing at risk. "
"    If  I was him ,   lets  meet on one of those small islands , BUSH  and  SEA  all around  ,where  he might  have a chance to escape  ,    take a breath  ,    or hide.

*********** i could go on but 'quiet time'  ....

HEY ... Our library opened last couple of days after COvid 19. restrictions ( you caused me to check )
Checked ...The  Roar of the river ... J. Armenteros ..  not at the branch.
Borrowed today ....Parable Of The Sower... Octavia Butler.

Last edited by Dancer (Mar 17, 2022 8:18 pm)

#9 Mar 18, 2022 12:00 am

New Historian
Active

It's not always a picnic, out there in the ocean.....

As the evening wore on, the wind picked up to about 20 knots, gusting 25, we could see whitecaps blowing off the tops of the waves. Gerry’s stomach began to act up, but he hung on manfully. I prayed that my own stomach (and the boat!) would hold up. With each wave, water came through the forward hatch and side windows, and things below decks began to get wet. On the previous occasions when we’d sailed through the night, the weather had been kind, but this time we were heading directly upwind, in rough seas.

Gerry’s seasickness got worse as the night wore on, and the poor guy was dry heaving over the side. Seasickness can be really debilitating, and eventually Gerry had to go below decks and crash out. I really appreciated Eddie on board, as without him we may have had to abort the trip. Eddie and I took one-hour shifts on the tiller. In such a wet and windy night, it was cold, bumpy and uncomfortable. You’d sleep in snatches, until jerked awake with a bang, as we crashed into another wave. The waves were steep and came crashing over the foredeck, sending heavy spray into the cockpit. Every now and then, a ‘seventh son of a seventh son’ would break over the whole boat, filling the cockpit and soaking the helmsman. I stared up at the mast and rigging, overawed by the strength of my little boat, as she withstood the constant pounding of tons of ocean.  Hold on, baby, hold on...

‘Incoming!’ yelled Eddie. I looked up, and saw an enormous, malevolent wave towering over the boat, poised to strike. I remember noticing that the top of the wave was higher than the top of the mast. I barely had time to hunker down before a ton of foaming, angry water crashed onto the decks – and me. I gripped the tiller with my right hand and hung onto the stanchion with my left, as tons of water washed over me, pinning me against the transom, unable to breathe. We had no safety harnesses, and if I got washed overboard, that would be the end of me: a watery grave.

After what seemed like an eternity, the wave finally passed over me, and I emerged coughing and spluttering. Eddie looked at me in amazement: ‘Bri, where’s your jacket?’ 

I looked down and saw that all that was left of my yellow sou'wester (wet weather gear) were the sleeves: the wave had ripped the rest of it clean away! Out there in the Atlantic, with big waves, constant spray and 25 knot winds, it was damned cold. I had to find some protection, so I cut holes in the bottom of two garbage bags to make an improvised wet weather protector.

garbage-bag-gear.jpg

Last edited by New Historian (Mar 18, 2022 12:03 am)

#10 Mar 18, 2022 5:11 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Out there you only need the Grenadian flag, not so much Caribbean flags. So, what's the biggest wave you've ever navigate, and do you have marlin in those waters? Have you ever caught a marlin? The biggest one I've seen was in Curaçao and the fishermen were thinking about eating it. "All fish can be eaten!" he told me. I was appalled for I've NEVER heard of anyone eating that fish. By the way Not bad legs-- of course you were younger then!

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (Mar 18, 2022 6:12 am)

Board footer