You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#11 Mar 18, 2022 8:35 am

New Historian
Active

Re: Even a wet day on water...

Every vessel must fly at least two flags: the flag of the country where she is, and the country where she's registered. We'd been to Grenada, Vincy and St Lucia and left them flying as a sign of pride. That was a helluva boys' trip, talk about learning by doing, we learned by f*cking up lol!! That wave was my 'seventh son of a seventh son', and I don't want to meet its grandpa! There's no one hates fish more than fishermen, especially the fish that get away! And if you've never eaten smoked marlin, you're missing out on one of life's culinary delights. Thanks for the legs compliment, I'd like to return it but, ahem, you haven't shown us yours - yet?

"Brothers at Sea" - yet another unpublished book lol!!

I remember the first time I ever set foot on a yacht, thinking to myself: how has it taken me so long to discover this?  After my first turn at the helm I was hooked.  This is exciting stuff!  We were living in Barbados at the time, and it wasn't long before I was convincing my wife that we needed to own a boat.  It'll be good for the children, I said.  She glanced skywards.  Another toy, an expensive one this time.  Not long afterwards I bought a 26-foot wooden sloop called Jump-Up.  I hate to think what that boat cost me over the four years I had her, but she was worth every penny.  For me, sailing is the perfect stress relief.  A time to repair frayed nerves, to just switch off and get away from the daily grind of too much work, too much traffic and the unwanted attentions of irritating people.  A time to appreciate the simplicity and beauty of life.  You want to memorize every detail, to absorb the splendour of it all.  The world and its troubles just seem to melt into the background for those precious few days when you're at sea.

But apart from the actual sailing, I love just being among the islands, with no fixed abode and no particular place to go.  In the Caribbean, you meet the most incredible cast of characters, from all corners of the globe, everyone jostling together in the contradictory mish-mash that people glibly refer to as 'Caribbean culture'.  Two old ladies gossiping over afternoon tea on their verandah; and the dreadlocked Rasta Princess selling oyster-shell earrings from a dugout canoe, while her King-Man lights up another big-head spliff.  They are as different as night and day, yet both share some common thread that is uniquely Caribbean.  Everyone loves 'the islands' (ugh!).  The world is full of ex-tourists gushing about the beautiful beaches, the Caribbean paradise (more ugh!), the warmth of the people and our 'delightful sing-song accents' (most ugh of all!).  We Caribbean people are far more blasé, but underneath our studied cool we're just the same.  We love it too.

This book tells the story of a four-week voyage around the Eastern Caribbean that my brother and I made in Jump-Up.  The boat's engine died on the very first day, after which we were entirely dependent on wind power.  I learned more about sailing in those four weeks than I did in years of Sunday sailing around Barbados.  We had to.  After setting out from Bridgetown we ran downwind to Grenada, raced in the Carriacou Regatta (second place, thank you very much), then went island-hopping through the Grenadines to St Lucia where we rendezvouzed with our wives, for a few days shore leave, before making the long beat back to Barbados.  The trip had all the right ingredients to make it memorable: fascinating islands, a few funny escapades, beautiful scenery, a little drama at sea, plus a cast of unforgettable characters along the way.

#12 Mar 18, 2022 6:01 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Try to publish the book via an independent publisher. When you have something to say, you must say it! I like reading about some of your experiences while others are just damned boring and superficial. You've traveled around the Atlantic five times. It's a rough body of water. What about the Pacific Ocean? Have you sailed in Europe or Africa? Tell me more.

#13 Mar 18, 2022 9:16 pm

Dancer
Active

" Talk yu talk  NH ' .
Teaching time  !  lol.

#14 Mar 20, 2022 11:27 am

New Historian
Active

Think of a storm. Imagine the wind: howling through the rigging, tearing away anything not lashed down. But the wind is the easy part. A good sailboat can handle any amount of wind; it’s what she’s made for. But it’s not the wind that kills you - it’s the water. The monster wave you don’t expect, the one that comes out of nowhere, bearing down upon you.

Big waves aren’t lethal; a good helmsman can steer up and down incoming waves, like a surfer. As long as they’re predictable, you can take evasive action, or at least dampen the blow. But every now and then the pattern changes, becomes unpredictable. You're expecting them from the bow, and this bastard comes at you abeam, the worst possible angle.

Every sailor’s nightmare is the rogue wave: the one you don’t see, until it’s too late. The one you can’t run from, where the best you can hope for is survival. There are few things in life more terrifying than a wall of black water, looming high over your fragile craft, poised to strike. How dare you, human, challenge the awesome anger of the sea? 

I'll never forget that dread, that icy fear, that knot in the pit of your stomach. When you feel your boat lurch underneath you, when you know you’re going past the point of no return. When you know: you're going over …

sloop-2.jpg

#15 Mar 20, 2022 1:59 pm

Dancer
Active

' That's what I  get from you NH , 'realness'  sharing life  , from the 'encounter ' to ' waves' .
Only if your friend WSS , would get the picture.

Board footer