You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Nov 21, 2016 5:04 pm

charlierojas

Could Grenada receive refugees?

Hello,

I am a Swedish social analyst that studies the capacity of democratic countries to receive refugees.

In January I am planning a trip to Grenada, to get a better notion of the social, political and cultural context and what capacity Grenada would have to receive refugees.

My connections in the country are few, so I am interesting in two things here:

1. Getting spontaneous reflections from you who participate in this discussion boards.

2. Getting recommendations on people I should get in touch with and/or meet when visiting Grenada in January.

If you have recommendations, I guess it would be best to message me privately not to reveal contacts to everybody. Whereas the first issue, we can have the conversation here or privately, as you prefer.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

www.swedenresearch.com

#2 Nov 21, 2016 5:55 pm

gripe

Re: Could Grenada receive refugees?

The Caribbean, and Grenada specifically, has not had a robust tradition of being a haven for refugees. There are obvious, logical reasons for that fact, that reality. This is best seen from the following statement as it relates even to Caribbean nationals -- Haitians and Cubans -- seeking refugee status within the Caribbean:

"Since the resolution of the 1994 Haitian refugee crisis, the Caribbean has been relatively calm.  Less than 2,000 refugees are still in need of a long-lasting solution in the Caribbean--most of the numbers come from the 1,000 African refugees in Cuba and 600 Haitian refugees in the Dominican Republic.  But there is still a potential for renewed refugee prevalence with the Caribbean becoming a destination and transit point for asylum-seekers from other areas of the continent.  Moreover, competing priorities for added resources and help prevent such organizations as the UNHCR from maintaining a permanent presence in the Caribbean.  Help is given erratically between the Caribbean nations of Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, Grenada, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, and Tobago." The source is from Jayna M. Smith's "The Refugee Crisis: Evaluating the Effects of Displaced Populations on the World's Environment", found at this link: http://web.stanford.edu/class/e297c/tra … fugee.html

Given that unfortunate history for the Caribbean, and Grenada, as it relates even to their own Caribbean neighbours, it will be a monumental task for Grenada to be more receptive to other refugees. That monumental task exists aside from the fact that Smith, in her article, mentioned that the Caribbean has the "potential for renewed refugee prevalence". 

Part of the frustration, obviously, is the fact that the Caribbean, including Grenada, has a set of unique developmental challenges that dictate against increasing their populations by accepting refugees when the Caribbean's, and Grenada's, limited resources are already a stretch to meet the needs of its nationals.

To make any significant contribution(s) to helping with the worldwide refugee problem, countries such as Grenada need massive inputs of financial and other resources from both international organizations and donor countries. That requirement is, however, eerily on par with the very problem Caribbean countries, including Grenada, face with respect to their stagnant development: they need massive outside assistance from both international organizations and donor countries! (Unavoidably, stating the obvious sounds like a broken record.)

Last edited by gripe (Nov 21, 2016 5:56 pm)

#3 Nov 22, 2016 12:37 pm

Slice

The unemployed in Grenada is somewhere in the 30% range.  How can a island like Grenada take in refugees?  This will be unfair burden on the Good folks of Grenada.

#4 Nov 23, 2016 9:22 am

Just Me Observing

One option would be to investigate whether international funds are in place to bear the cost of building proper facilities and infrastructure for properly vetted refugees who can eventually add value to the development of Grenada. These jobs should be for local Grenadians only.
Not all refugees are the poor and disadvantaged, but are also capable businessmen, business owners, agricultural experts ect. These should be the ones Grenada should try to attract, taking into consideration the potential national security concerns.

This formula can be a winning solution for all.

#5 Nov 23, 2016 10:30 am

Slice

Every refugee needs tons of help.  Those who can afford are going somewhere else in the Middle.  Most  do need financial help.  Grenada and the Caribbean, with the exception of maybe Trinidad, can not and should not take part in this movement of people.

These folks should never ever be trusted and as ah result, we don't want them to spread their hatred for life to Grenada.  Grenada do not have anything in place to police these people, Sheet they can't even police themselves.  Let the folks who have the structure and monies to assist these folks.  Keep them outa Grenada period.

#6 Nov 25, 2016 7:15 pm

Calypso

Slice wrote:

Every refugee needs tons of help.  Those who can afford are going somewhere else in the Middle.  Most  do need financial help.  Grenada and the Caribbean, with the exception of maybe Trinidad, can not and should not take part in this movement of people.

These folks should never ever be trusted and as ah result, we don't want them to spread their hatred for life to Grenada.  Grenada do not have anything in place to police these people, Sheet they can't even police themselves.  Let the folks who have the structure and monies to assist these folks.  Keep them outa Grenada period.

You views are horrible, just bloody horrible. How do we begin union between Caribbean countries? By lending a helping hand whenever possible. Jamaica is poorer than Grenada but we do take refugees and give them food and shelter and medical care. So the hell can Grenada. Until their fate is decided. Each Caribbean island could take in a certain amount until they decide what will happen from there. WE CALL THIS HUMANITY!

#7 Nov 25, 2016 7:21 pm

Calypso

http://antiguaobserver.com/jamaica-immi … back-home/

This is the last I have come across. I see that Jamaica has taken you viewpoint. Horrible!

#8 Jan 14, 2017 9:12 pm

charlierojas

Very interesting to hear your reflections.

Sorry I haven't said anything earlier, but I have read and find your persepctives important.

In my research I look at some related themes, for instance that the UN today funds refugee camps in countries that are not free, led by dictators. It is a common belief that a big reason for receiving the refugees is that they get the funds. But they don't treat the refugees well, they often never get rights to live as regular people (citizenship or even permission to work can be excluded for them for ever, even through generations when they get children)

One way to flip the table would then of course be that if all democracies, also the smaller ones and the ones with less wealth, would receive, that the UN could direct these funds to these countries instead. If all democracies would to receive a share correspondent to size etc, no camps in unfree countries would be needed.

If I wasn't clear It was me who wrote the first post, and am coming to Grenada from Sweden next week. If any of you would like to meet and talk a little about this in person as well, it would be valuable for me. As I wrote I am coming to get a better notion of the society and potential premises for refugee reception. Interested in reasoning out of own experiences and not expertise of any kind more than that of being Grenadian and living in Grenada!

Add me on Whatsapp w number 0046763529342 or mail me carlos@swedenresearch.se

Thanks and take care

#9 Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am

Calypso

charlierojas wrote:

Hello,

I am a Swedish social analyst that studies the capacity of democratic countries to receive refugees.

In January I am planning a trip to Grenada, to get a better notion of the social, political and cultural context and what capacity Grenada would have to receive refugees.

My connections in the country are few, so I am interesting in two things here:

1. Getting spontaneous reflections from you who participate in this discussion boards.

2. Getting recommendations on people I should get in touch with and/or meet when visiting Grenada in January.

If you have recommendations, I guess it would be best to message me privately not to reveal contacts to everybody. Whereas the first issue, we can have the conversation here or privately, as you prefer.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos
www.swedenresearch.com

Carlos, Thanks for the email. I made a reply. I hope my ideas were helpful.

#10 Jan 15, 2017 6:37 pm

Garden of Eaten

There should be land enough, food enough, and resources enough for all mankind but for greed and more greed among a few. We should campaign for sharing to be the motto of humankind.

Board footer