You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Jan 16, 2017 12:35 pm

Mary Seacole/deportees

Re: Could Grenada receive refugees?

Grenada is just 120 square miles perhaps a very small fraction of your own country so in light of these situations they may not consider taking refugees, Grenada is not rich and does not pretend to be what it is not up to recent years.

I am not saying they should or should not take refugees though
There may be many things to consider whilst taking in refugees in small
Places like Grenada.

Like where the Refugees are most likely to come from, because Grenada as a Christian community mostly  will not be able to cater for a significant amount of different religions which may be a disadvantage to the refugees.

Now taking I to effect catastrophes and disagreements, and language barriers they will have to prepare firstly. Or if they don't they may have to face the consequences of not being prepared.

Another thing Grenadians like to mingle whether you are aware or not.

Jamaica always look down at Grenadians they call us small island people, they do not entirely have this brethren thing with us, they see themselves as superior to us not that we see them that way, so I am not surprised if they let refugees flood their gates before they are prepared. They might be the second largest island in the caribbean and because of their size maybe able to take a lot of refugees.

I personally do not think Grenada can cater for Grenadians let alone to take refugees on an island that you can't even see on the world map properly.

They will have to expand Grenada first by developing mountain lands into civilised towns  to cater for the amount of refugees we see fleeing, plus open more schools, and everything  thing else that will come with them.
It will be interesting to hear what all Grenadians think.

Grenada  can sometimes be a very helpful country and had taken in a lot of people from Monserrat some years back during the volcanic eruption.

#12 Jan 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Calypso

When the Haitian refugees flooded the Miami coqst like the Cubans, the Americans always send them back. In the first place, they are black unlike the white Cubans and they are escaping their country  because of economic reasons and not political unrest. All islands in the Caribbean should be equipped to help our brethren. We can't always look to North America. We have lots of peoples, dispersed in America, Canada, England, etc. who could send clothes, food and medicine to Grenada and all other islands where they run to. There is physical space in all the islands to accommodate them. We don't have the economy but we could network abroad to help them.

#13 Jan 16, 2017 3:41 pm

Garden of Eaten

Calypso, you gave a good counter-point to Mary/Seacole . . . This rings true and honest: "We don't have the economy but we could network abroad to help them."

#14 Jan 16, 2017 10:28 pm

New Historian

Refugees from where? You can't just say refugees; there are refugees - and they are refugees! When the volcano on Montserrat, there were refugees, could Grenada - with appropriate financial support - have taken in some of them? Certainly. Can Grenada take in refugees from Syria? That's a different matter, entirely! You cannot ignore the cultural angle - nor security.

I'm not anti-refugee but it's a fact that several ISIS operatives have used refugee boats to Europe as a Trojan Horse, and even Europe with all their money and surveillance couldn't detect them, imagine "poor" Grenada? Our borders are porous, our intelligence non-existent, and lest we forget there's a target-rich environment right in our midst: SGU.

It's a highly complicated issue, and I'd be interested in your research. Will email you.

#15 Jan 17, 2017 8:23 am

Slice

You are thinking that, the Caribbean should be able to handle refugees, but that is not the case.  The only island in the Caribbean, that are able to handle refugees is Trinidad.  Grenadians need help in ah bad way.  The poverty rate is too damn high.  Folks in Grenada are really struggling.  Doh get me wrong, some folks are doing well, but the majority is doing so good.

I am seriously thinking about a way, to get essentials to Grenadians.  Maybe I will team up with my cousin wife, and once a month or so, go the different villages and give out essential stuff to Grenadians.

How about taking care of Grenadians first and then think about refugees?  I think Jamaicans are probably worst than Grenadians.  Ah think you are forgetting the poverty rate in most  of the Caribbean.

Put ah stop to this refugees madness now.  It should not happen in the Caribbean.

Here is another issues that really concerns me,  Grenada are not equipped to handle terrorism.  If you let these folks in, not if but   when are they going to blow up Grenadians.

Last edited by Slice (Jan 17, 2017 8:27 am)

#16 Jan 18, 2017 1:18 am

Aim

New Historian wrote:

Refugees from where? You can't just say refugees; there are refugees - and they are refugees! When the volcano on Montserrat, there were refugees, could Grenada - with appropriate financial support - have taken in some of them? Certainly. Can Grenada take in refugees from Syria? That's a different matter, entirely! You cannot ignore the cultural angle - nor security.

I'm not anti-refugee but it's a fact that several ISIS operatives have used refugee boats to Europe as a Trojan Horse, and even Europe with all their money and surveillance couldn't detect them, imagine "poor" Grenada? Our borders are porous, our intelligence non-existent, and lest we forget there's a target-rich environment right in our midst: SGU.

It's a highly complicated issue, and I'd be interested in your research. Will email you.

I kept watching this post but you summed it all up so do not have to say much. Even if we receive funding to take in refugees, apart from our infrastructure, we have to think of the acculturation issues. Do we want a society within a society? How would that work? The initial poster's country, Sweden, is restricting immigration from what I have read because of the problems it can cause. Of course, if we are offered monetary assistance we can play greedy and take it without thinking of the ramifications to our country, but I would suggest that we look far beyond that. Taking in a few West Indians in need, especially if temporary, is fine as our lifestyles run along similar lines - entertainment etc, anything otherwise, Grenada will not be able to deal with it.

Last edited by Aim (Jan 18, 2017 1:20 am)

#17 Jan 18, 2017 4:53 am

Vanni

I believe in our universal brotherhood, and in it becoming a natural state in our humanity.

Now for the present circumstances, I feel the need for a healthy balance between caring for the local situation and caring for refugees. In my humble opinion, the equation could go like this:

as much as for the guests receiving refugee status, the people from the host country who are less well off should be getting the same level of caring. How can anyone with a heart be feeling comfortable with some people getting something which some local people don't get? The concern is for each who is in a state of need. Whether locals or refugees.

Also, mass immigration is an issue, as enough attention should be given to integration. Meaning not stripping people from their culture and identity, but making sure that they also understand and appreciate the culture and identity of their host country. And respect it.

In this context, when Historian says that there are some refugees who are in fact infiltrating countries, some reading about the possibility of an engineered refugee crisis, involving both the infiltration of host countries, as well as their flooding with unmanageable amounts of refugees, reveals to be part of a plan of what some recognise as the new world order.

We may also understand that this may not be meant to happen as end result. So those with such a plan are seeing it failing, as recent clues point toward it. We may, thus, understand that there are other - may I use the word holier - and thus more powerful elements at play, guiding us toward a brighter reality. And the more we are consciously uplifting ourselves, the more it helps this reality to manifest itself.

We need to keep our hearts open - to all, locals and non locals, and, beyond humans, toward our animal brothers and sisters, and furthermore the plant and mineral kingdoms - and our lucidity and discrimination sharp.

We may understand that there is the money for world peace, for everyone to have proper food, clothing and health care, and a place where to live comfortably. What it needs is the awareness, vision and will for this peace, the good will, initiative and collaboration of everyone who has any power to make it happen.

Not least, to enter into peace mode toward the people involved in some of our most difficult life challenges. To leave behind the urge for retribution, which keeps us stuck as victims, stuck in anger and possible violence, and diverts us from the achievement which any experience intends for us. To find the sense to forgive and make the best of whatever our personal life experience has been. To understand that it has, in what feels like sometimes unfair and ugly appearances, served a higher purpose, and made us who we are now.

To find forgiveness, and, yes, ultimately gratitude. Which allows us to go ahead toward unconditional love and it being the foundation of our reality. And this is vital, right now, where our humanity has the means for utter self-destruction, but even more so, the means for emergence into a higher reality, where daily life and mundane merge with the divine.

Last edited by Vanni (Jan 18, 2017 5:12 am)

#18 Jan 18, 2017 5:41 am

Garden of Eaten

Your comments, Vanni, read like a much-needed sermon. We need to seriously consider the humanity of the situation being discussed and know that self-protection is not the end-game. A peaceful, caring world is the goal!

#19 Jan 18, 2017 10:22 am

Vanni

I think that we have to find the balance, Garden of Eaten. Caring means caring for ALL - so caring for refugees automatically calls also for caring for the people in situations of distress in our own countries.

And furthermore caring for all Life. Truly a vast enterprise once we start on that path smile

#20 Jan 18, 2017 10:45 am

Garden of Eaten

I am with you, Vanni, even though "caring for all Life" is a major undertaking ("Truly a vast enterprise").

Board footer