You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#11 Apr 18, 2022 1:27 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: GOOd FRIDAY ....

In 1984 I was in Grenada for Easter and there were kites everywhere.  A helicopter I was flying in hit a kite string and wrapped the nylon line in the main rotor and tail rotor.  It got tangled and melted in the mechanism. We landed somewhere around Mt. Rich. 

The helicopter had to stay there until parts and an inspector could be brought in the next day.  Another enlisted guy and I spent the night with it to keep an eye on it.  Locals came up and hung out and bullshitted with us most of the night.  It was a good time I will always remember.

#12 Apr 18, 2022 1:45 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

In 1984 I was in Grenada for Easter and there were kites everywhere.  A helicopter I was flying in hit a kite string and wrapped the nylon line in the main rotor and tail rotor.  It got tangled and melted in the mechanism. We landed somewhere around Mt. Rich. 

The helicopter had to stay there until parts and an inspector could be brought in the next day.  Another enlisted guy and I spent the night with it to keep an eye on it.  Locals came up and hung out and bullshitted with us most of the night.  It was a good time I will always remember.

Amazing how the smallest thing can bring down, fortunately not literally this time, the biggest piece of hi-tech kit. A few years ago a helicopter got into difficulty and had to land on the playing field on Petite Martinique, the only piece of flat ground for miles of sea. The locals were a-gawk!!

#13 Apr 18, 2022 2:01 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Helicopters are ten-thousand moving parts flying in loose formation.  They have many vulnerabilities.   

This was very heavy nylon string.  They orange kind you use for construction surveying.  When it got in the helicopter, the controls got mushy and you could hear hanging string whipping against the body of the helicopter as the rotor turned.  Of course we landed immediately.  This was 1984 and there was no kind of threat whatsoever.  In retrospect, having seen the outcome, we could have easily flown the bird back to Salines without trouble.  That said, nobody felt the need to take a chance in peacetime.  We landed and I had one of my best experiences with the locals.

Board footer