You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Apr 17, 2022 7:35 pm

houston
Active

A long time ago

Can't imagine sinking into the cold water of the North Atlantic.
Not many sharks to deal with but hypothermia would get anyone within minutes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco … -1.6421729

#2 Apr 18, 2022 1:13 am

New Historian
Active

Re: A long time ago

Death would have been mercifully quick. Irony is that if the Titanic had not swerved when it saw the iceberg, but hit it head on, it probably would not have sunk. It's "unsinkability" were its watertight transverse bulkheads, which would have prevented the water sweeping through the ship. But the gash along its side caused water inundation along the length of the ship, sinking it within an hour.

#3 Apr 18, 2022 11:42 am

Slice
Active

That is kinda new.  Ah have more interest in the lead Coffin, that they recently discovered while renovating Notre Dame, in France.  They say that thing could be over 500 years old, ah think.

#4 Apr 18, 2022 9:23 pm

houston
Active

New Historian wrote:

Death would have been mercifully quick. Irony is that if the Titanic had not swerved when it saw the iceberg, but hit it head on, it probably would not have sunk. It's "unsinkability" were its watertight transverse bulkheads, which would have prevented the water sweeping through the ship. But the gash along its side caused water inundation along the length of the ship, sinking it within an hour.

Yes, the unsinkable vessel would have been better off colliding directly into the berg rather than side swiping avoidance action that ripped it like a tin can at high speed.
Either way, the ship was 1400 kms from the nearest port in frigid water during the blackness of night. Highly unlikely that more would have survived at the time.
Miscalculations of engineers and the rush of White Star Lines to produce a fast trip from England to America in record time during the competitive era of steamers was also a contributing factor to the tragedy.
All on board the Titanic, from first to lower decks, including the crew members, were basically test passengers.

#5 Apr 19, 2022 1:23 pm

New Historian
Active

Yup, mankind's ego and hubris became the better of common sense! Desire for that Blue Ribband cost many lives.

#6 Apr 19, 2022 6:32 pm

houston
Active

Yes, and to declare that the ship was unsinkable?
The Titanic traveled at high speed, in the dark of night in waters that would have numerous icebergs at that time of year, talk about arrogance.
I doubt any ship built today could withstand a head on collision with a large berg, basically a moving island as hard as rock, let alone a side swipe.
Hell, the Bismarck went down with enough pummeling.

#7 Apr 19, 2022 7:09 pm

houston
Active

NH, have you ever had a close encounter with a shark during your time on the ocean?

I remember seeing the movie Jaws as a young teen in June 1975. The fresh water beaches here and all around the area were dead for the remainder of that summer and probably the next one too.
People wouldn't stick a toe into the fresh water from a dock on a small lake at the cottage for all of that summer. The only safe water was in the bathtub.

Can't imagine the toll that film would have taken on tourism in places located on the New England shores or any other salt water community around the globe.

https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-canad … 100676000/

#8 Apr 20, 2022 10:41 am

New Historian
Active

LOL they afraid of freshwater sharks!! I've seen sharks but never a close encounter, the vast majority of sharks will leave humans alone - too big to fight. I've pulled the tail of sleeping nurse sharks, but they are harmless as they don't have proper teeth. What I've seen a lot and had a few encounters were barras, which t me are way more dangerous than sharks. They're so fast one minute you see them, the next: poof disappeared. Then you see them again, behind you ... I was spearfishing once and a barra decided to eat my 3-4 fishes I'd already caught and were on a wire. All I got were the leftovers!

The last time I went scuba diving, I didn't actually have a scuba tank. We were in Sandy Island and there were three of us, but only 2 sets of scuba gear, so I went buddy-breathing with my buddies - taking a breath from their spare air hose every now and then. Bloody tiring, I can tell you!

Sandy-Island-dive3.jpg

#9 Apr 21, 2022 12:40 pm

Dancer
Active

NH , you are the Boss. !!! Don't ask me of what ?  Lo.
Lord, Lord , Lord ,.
Mr Tall Tales strikes again . !!!
Just call me 007 NH
Underwater !

WSS going crazy ... too much water .

#10 Apr 21, 2022 2:36 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Here are photos of a white tipped reef shark that I took diving in Guam's waters in 2005.  It was five or six feet long.

PA070081.jpg

PA070080.jpg

Board footer