You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#11 Apr 21, 2022 5:22 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: A long time ago

A big fella, was he aggressive in any way? The only sharks I've ever seen were probably more afraid of me, than me them. The most I ever got hurt underwater was a brush with fire coral - ouch!!

#12 Apr 21, 2022 5:39 pm

houston
Active

Awesome. Great photos of the blue hue of the shark and clearly defined white tips.
I did some diving years ago and always felt at ease down below in the beautiful marine world where you a have good view of the surroundings and feel as another creature in that world.
It's the swimming on the surface where you have no idea of what circles below that's always made me nervous.

#13 Apr 21, 2022 6:53 pm

New Historian
Active

Shot this barracuda off Glover's Island. I was a bit nervous and at first I didn't originally intend to shoot him. But he was being a nuisance, swimming around us and giving the evil eye, so I lined him up and got him with a perfect shot just behind the gills. Two hours later on Hog Island, he sure was tasty!
Barra.jpg

#14 Apr 21, 2022 7:10 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Yuh an' yuh bald head!
I thought only savages eat barracudas???
...A good-looking savage no doubt!

#15 Apr 22, 2022 9:09 am

Real Distwalker
Active

The shark wasn't aggressive but he wasn't afraid either.  He pretty much ignored me.

This shark isn't to be confused with the oceanic white tip shark which gets much larger and is very aggressive.  Remember in the movie Jaws the boat captain Quint told the story of the USS Indianapolis and how the men were all killed by sharks after it was sunk?  Those were oceanic white tips.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_India … 5)#Sinking

#16 Apr 22, 2022 6:25 pm

houston
Active

Interesting stuff RD. I always thought it was Tiger sharks that got those sailors.
The fate of the USS Indianapolis and it's sailors is a fascinating story. The blaming of negligence and ensuing trial of the captain of the ship following the war, is also a good story.

#17 Apr 22, 2022 6:37 pm

houston
Active

Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

Yuh an' yuh bald head!
I thought only savages eat barracudas???
...A good-looking savage no doubt!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n5HX7y1yDi4

#18 Apr 22, 2022 6:43 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Yes, he's interesting. Shit, his head just got bigger! Damn!

#19 Apr 22, 2022 8:04 pm

New Historian
Active

Which head???

#20 Apr 23, 2022 12:56 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Why? Your head of course-- which is intertwined with the passive/aggressive behavior of the barracudas. There's some conflict with your id, ego and your superego!

Board footer