You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Apr 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Real Distwalker

Re: Ah, those lovely English lassies....

Look, nobody is shoving Big Mac's down their throats.  They are free people, not serfs, and as such, they have a world of things available to them.  Some are good and some are not so good.  That is the nature of freedom.  If they are overweight, that is their fault.

That's the way it has to be with free people.  The only other option is authoritarianism in which the State acts as mommy and daddy for adult children. 

I don't support that.  I support freedom though it is perilous.

#12 Apr 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Real Distwalker

I ate at least twice at a chippy called "The Laughing Halibut" in Westminster.  Damn it was good.  So very, very good.

#13 Apr 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Expat

Real Distwalker wrote:

Look, nobody is shoving Big Mac's down their throats.  They are free people, not serfs, and as such, they have a world of things available to them.  Some are good and some are not so good.  That is the nature of freedom.  If they are overweight, that is their fault.

That's the way it has to be with free people.  The only other option is authoritarianism in which the State acts as mommy and daddy for adult children. 

I don't support that.  I support freedom though it is perilous.

The "land of the free" being more porky than most should give you a clue.

The problem is you haven't been isolationist when it comes to exporting crap.

#14 Apr 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Real Distwalker

We didn't export shit.  You imported it.  If Brits didn't want it, it wouldn't be there.

#15 Apr 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Expat

Real Distwalker wrote:

I ate at least twice at a chippy called "The Laughing Halibut" in Westminster.  Damn it was good.  So very, very good.

And I would bet there are better ones. Actually I know there are, as just up the road from where my sister lives is a national prize winning chippie.

Did you go for the salt and vinegar option?

Back in the day, to go it was fish and chips in plain paper sprinkled with a good douse of Salt and half a gallon of malt vinegar, then rolled up in old newspaper to take it home. Also they used beef dripping to fry it all in.

Funny back in the day it was great, but having tried the same cooking style a while back it didn't taste as good as it smelled. The nose remembered the smell, and got enthused, but the palate didn't like it so much.

#16 Apr 10, 2017 8:10 pm

Expat

Real Distwalker wrote:

We didn't export shit.  You imported it.  If Brits didn't want it, it wouldn't be there.

Don't be silly. Franchises would have been set up. I forget where it was now, but there was an original MacDonalds, somewhere in London, and then all the others were franchises.

Obviously it is imported, but it was "sold" to the unsuspecting public first. There wasn't a representation coming over to America begging to be poisoned.

I fully remember when MacDonalds first arrived, and the "difference" made it appealing, plus the serving style etc. It took me a while to realise what awful stuff it was and why I always got indigestion afterwards as a reward. Finally I recognised it was effectively pre masticated cardboard, and until they started introducing the healthier wraps and stuff I never ate another one.... and that's years we are talking about.

#17 Apr 10, 2017 8:16 pm

Real Distwalker

Again, the only reason you have McDonald's is because Brits want it.  If they didn't, it wouldn't be there.

Hell, it has a different menu than in the US.   The kid had to pee so we went in one at Whitehall.  Most of the crap on the menu was stuff I never saw at a McDonald's in the US.

Well, the Laughing Halibut was good enough to get me to go twice in the ten days we were there... and there were plenty of choices.

I did have the salt and vinegar.   Seriously good.   Here is the place.  http://thelaughinghalibut.com/

No beer though.  You need a brew with a meal like that.  Am I right?

In all seriousness, I don't think obesity is an American problem.   I think it is the human condition after two to four generations of abundance.  The nature of the 20th century's wars put the US about one generation ahead of Europe in terms of abundance.  Unless there are hard times ahead, the rest of the civilized world will catch up.

Of course not everyone in the Mother Country is into imported food, are they?

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Apr 10, 2017 8:31 pm)

#18 Apr 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Expat

If it was another thread you would be praising the marketing men at Macrapalds, but for now it is "we asked for it".

Ahh the appreciation of real beer thing.... yep, that's what dashing off to the country, and having real ale, and pub lunches is all about.

Most of the London pubs serve Whitbreads or similar stuff, which isn't all that. Youngs is a fairly decent London Ale.... used to be delivered around its "tied pubs" by a horse and cart until just about 5 years ago.

I'm giving you 50/50 on the human condition thing.  Certainly America has been ahead of much of the Western World in abundance. And granted better living standards can lead to an expanded waist, as well as the improved health, and increase in height. Which is why those quaint old cottages you might have visited had low doorways.... not because the houses have sunk, but because previous generations were no so healthy or well fed generally, so were smaller in stature. Back in the days of Knights in shining armour the regular foot soldiers were built more like we would think of gnomes in Lord of the Rings.

But I only say 50/50, because 50% of that waist expansion has been due to mainly.... but not exclusively American marketing and food processing technology.

Mr Man, we have been importing American brands since long before I was born, but as they were household names I didn't even think of them as being American. Libbys for example. Maybe one should have read the label, but until they started preaching to us about dextro this and that who ever read labels.

On the drunken theme.....

#19 Apr 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Real Distwalker

Catherine Tate is a brilliant comedian, isn't she?

#20 Apr 12, 2017 7:02 am

Calypso

Real Distwalker wrote:

What is so lovely about women showing their crotch in public, particularly if it's an accident? These are things we need to ignore and move on with our lives. What if one of those women was Mrs. RD. You would be embarrassed wouldn't you? Coarse and vulgar that is what you are!!! Blasted pervert!!!

Board footer