You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Apr 23, 2022 2:50 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Preserving Plantation Houses in the West Indies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVmHfggut-A

Greenwood Plantation House is affiliated with the renowned poet Elizabeth Barret Browning. It was one of the few houses that the slaves didn't destroy in 1831-32.

HISTORY

The Barrett Family
Greenwood Great House was built in 1780 by Richard Barrett and his family who were synonymous with Wimpole Street, London at the time i.e. well-to-do folk.  You’ve probably heard of Richard’s cousin, British poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning, best known for the sonnet that begins “How Do I Love Thee? Let me count the ways”.

The first Barrett to arrive in Jamaica was Hersey Barrett, who was an officer in the unsuccessful raid of Hispaniola (contemporary Haiti and the Dominican Republic) in 1655. Defeated in Hispaniola, the British decided to try their luck taking Jamaica from the Spaniards and won. Hersey Barrett was granted land and settled into growing a sugar empire. In a short time, the Barrett patriarch became very wealthy amassing 84,000 acres of land and 2,000 slaves.

The Barrett family resided at nearby Barrett Hall but also owned Cinnamon Hill Great House and a place in London as well. Greenwood Great House was built merely for entertaining when cousin Richard Barrett became speaker of the House of Assembly and supervisor of St. James Parish. Richard was the only Barrett to remain in Jamaica once the slave trade was abolished and the bottom fell out of the sugar industry.

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (Apr 23, 2022 2:53 am)

#2 Apr 23, 2022 7:27 am

Slice
Active

Re: Preserving Plantation Houses in the West Indies

So tell me again why would anyone want to save or preserve these houses of horrors?  I say burn everyone of them to the ground.  They have no real value. Destroy them and build modern houses for the population.

#3 Apr 23, 2022 8:02 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Your ignorance has no bound. Do we erase Horatio Nelson and William Cornwallis from our history? They were involved in the making of the West Indies just like these wonderful houses. Slavery was a horror but it is the past. These structures are so incredible beautiful and are the fabric of our being.

#4 Apr 23, 2022 12:00 pm

Slice
Active

OH HO so me not wanting to cherish these houses of horrors, make me ignorant?  Am going to stay ignorant.

#5 Apr 23, 2022 12:14 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

https://www.myconfinedspace.com/2008/04/25/pig-butt/

Stay ignorant Slice. At least you are true to yourself!

Board footer