You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 May 08, 2022 1:33 am

New Historian
Active

Rite of passage: my first drunk

Okay and second too!

To my undying shame, the first time I ever got drunk, was with my parents. I was fifteen and we were at one of those boring family parties with Joan’s relatives in Stevenage. I didn’t know these people, and was keeping myself to myself. Until I discovered Stone’s Ginger Wine. It was the first time I’d drunk it, and I loved its sharp aftertaste, not realizing it was alcoholic. Have you ever been drunk, without even realizing you’re drunk? In no time I was the life and soul of the party, dancing, laughing and telling jokes. Dad even said he’d never seen me so outgoing before.

And then: disaster.

It’s bad enough when you pass that tipping point from pleasantly drunk to puking drunk, but when you don’t even know there was a tipping point to pass – it’s completely bewildering! It was only when I emptied the entire contents of my stomach onto the carpeted living room floor, over and over, that grown-ups started to ask questions. A big clue was the colour of my puke: a bright shade of Stone’s Ginger Wine green. Then it clicked, and I was gently led to the bathroom, to die. To this day, I hate the taste of anything ginger!

But at least I had a cast-iron excuse: I didn’t know! I couldn’t claim that excuse for my second drunk, but since I barely remember anything about it, I’ll give Gerry the pleasure of retelling that one…

Brian barfs again:

Late one evening at Camplin Road, guessing summer of ’68 when I was 18 and Brian 15, there was a knock on the door. I opened it to find a certain someone standing there, waving like a palm tree in a hurricane, too incapable of finding, letting alone, using his house key. In staggered in one Steven Brian Samuel, totally and utterly pissed. How he actually made it to the front door remains a mystery.

Staggering up the stairs he proceeded to puke on the steps, down his shirt, against the wall. He made it to his bedroom. He was so sick and poorly that even from Dad there was no recrimination but concern, for his well-being. This being the era of pop stars choking on their own vomit and dying in bed. Fortunately, B was on his side where he once again puked, into his shoes this time. Had to take them and wash them out in the bath. This was before we know about putting people in the recovery position. Anyway, all’s well that ends well and he lived to drink another day.

#2 May 08, 2022 11:01 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Re: Rite of passage: my first drunk

You pathological LIAR! I thought you said that your mother abandoned the family before you were a teenager. "I was fifteen and we were at one of those boring family parties with Joan’s relatives in Stevenage." You one-eyed boogey man. You beast!

#3 May 08, 2022 12:35 pm

New Historian
Active

Lawd have mercy on my poor soul! Can you read? Did I say my mother? Does one normally call one's beloved mother by her name? STEP mother darling, step. My father had married the year before, goddit?

*WSS skulks off, tail firmly between those once-gorgeous legs! smile

#4 May 08, 2022 12:51 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

You have always embellished your stories to enthrall your readers and sometimes you lie so much that you forget what you revealed. You've never mentioned that your father remarried and that you grew up in a household with a female figure as a role model. I thought you and your father, along with your brothers, traveled the world like a Wandering Jew. Ginger wine is not strong as grape wine. I would drink some at times. At least, you only barfed and didn't poo up your undies!

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (May 08, 2022 12:54 pm)

#5 May 08, 2022 12:59 pm

New Historian
Active

Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

You have always embellished your stories to enthrall your readers and sometimes you lie so much that you forget what you revealed. You've never mentioned that your father remarried and that you grew up in a household with a female figure as a role model. I thought you and your father, along with your brothers, traveled the world like a Wandering Jew. Ginger wine is not strong as grape wine. I would drink some at times. At least, you only barfed and didn't poo up your undies!

For the record, Madam, I have never ever altered one tiny word from the truth, so just take your licks in good grace nuh. Our mother fucked off when I was 6, my father remarried when I was 15. Life is stranger, and infinitely more interesting, than fiction. At least mine is, I dunno 'bout yours, probably boring as watching paint dry.

#6 May 08, 2022 1:14 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

I live an intellectual life: the Spanish language cinema, concerts, lectures, foreign movies, art museums and travel abroad every other year. I was unlucky in love, but it serves as a plus--not a minus. It gives me the freedom to do what I damned choose to do. Like you, I love to write, and I love the sea.  BUT I AM NO LIAR LIKE YOU1

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (May 08, 2022 1:28 pm)

#7 May 08, 2022 2:00 pm

New Historian
Active

"I was unlucky in love" With your attitudes, that does not surprise me, in the least. Aggression is an admiral quality, but in small doses, not overdoses. Especially when you're wrong and strong.

"but it serves as a plus--not a minus" Yeah right, says every member of the Lonely Hearts' Club, look at me, I'm happyyyyy!!!

#8 May 08, 2022 2:50 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

I never liked you! You @#$%^&*()_+! I am a dominant-- but only at work-- not  ever in a relationship with men. CAPABLE MEN lead and I follow, resisting whenever necessary.  I am no flunky for anyone. When the respect is no longer, I leave. I am an admiral who leads a team very well at work. Believe it or not there's more pluses than minuses in singleness!

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (May 08, 2022 3:21 pm)

#9 May 08, 2022 4:50 pm

New Historian
Active

Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

I never liked you! You @#$%^&*()_+! I am a dominant-- but only at work-- not  ever in a relationship with men. CAPABLE MEN lead and I follow, resisting whenever necessary.  I am no flunky for anyone. When the respect is no longer, I leave. I am an admiral who leads a team very well at work. Believe it or not there's more pluses than minuses in singleness!

HUGE lol, oh Cal/WSS/Whoever, you're so easy to rile up, it's like shooting fish in a barrel! Not fair I know, but ah jus' can't help meself! smile

#10 May 08, 2022 6:00 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Seems like Talkshop in the good ol' days.

Board footer