You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 May 10, 2022 9:36 am

gripe
Active

"Grenada, Confronting The Past" (BBC Documentary Today)

In light of recent postings on related topics in this forum, this is an invitation for those interested to view, today, the above-mentioned BBC documentary, at this link:

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/proginf … ntary-tues

Here is a promo:

"BBC World News anchor and correspondent Laura Trevelyan explores her family’s connection to the slave trade on the Caribbean island of Grenada.

Back in the 18th century, the Trevelyan family were what’s known as absentee slave owners in Grenada. The family never set foot on the island, but owned hundreds of slaves and profited for years from the sale of sugar harvested from five different sugar cane plantations.

Only after the University College London database of slave ownership in the British Caribbean was published in 2013 did Laura discover her family’s slave-owning past. When slavery was abolished in 1834, the UK government paid compensation to slave owners, because they had lost their ‘property.’ The Trevelyan family received the equivalent of three million pounds in compensation in today’s money - the enslaved received nothing.

To try and learn more about the legacy of slavery in Grenada and her family’s involvement in the slave trade, Laura Trevelyan and her producer Koralie Barrau go to Grenada. Koralie is descended from slaves on the Caribbean island of Haiti, so this was an intense trip for her, personally and professionally."

#2 May 10, 2022 10:31 am

gripe
Active

Re: "Grenada, Confronting The Past" (BBC Documentary Today)

Here is a more direct link to the documentary:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct42d5

#3 May 11, 2022 8:08 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-61315877

Thank you for the information, Gripe. I see a possible story for myself. Slavery wasn't a long time ago. Three hundred years isn't a long time ago.

#4 May 11, 2022 11:25 am

New Historian
Active

Big stupes. Tired of these breast-beating exposes of white people, suddenly aware of their ancestor's evil deeds - how else you think you got all that money, bitch? "Oh, it turns out that my ancestor owned your ancestor, do you think that's fair?" All-time award for dumb question. Everyone wants to apologize, no one wants to put dey hand in dey pocket. Apology without reparations is an insult.

#5 May 11, 2022 12:52 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

New Historian wrote:

Everyone wants to apologize, no one wants to put dey hand in dey pocket. Apology without reparations is an insult.

What's it mean?  All white people owe all black people?  I mean, my ancestors didn't own African slaves.  I didn't benefit from slavery.  Hell, I was poor as a church mouse until I was 30 and then when I finally made some decent money, it was in the fiber optics industry: Hardly an industry built on the backs of slaves.  Do I personally owe you money, NH?

I guess that it is worth noting that I am not apologizing either.  I have nothing for which to apologize.  Therefore nobody should be insulted.

#6 May 11, 2022 1:51 pm

New Historian
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
New Historian wrote:

Everyone wants to apologize, no one wants to put dey hand in dey pocket. Apology without reparations is an insult.

What's it mean?  All white people owe all black people?  I mean, my ancestors didn't own African slaves.  I didn't benefit from slavery.  Hell, I was poor as a church mouse until I was 30 and then when I finally made some decent money, it was in the fiber optics industry: Hardly an industry built on the backs of slaves.  Do I personally owe you money, NH?

I guess that it is worth noting that I am not apologizing either.  I have nothing for which to apologize.  Therefore nobody should be insulted.

C'mon RD, don't insult me with silly, facetious questions. Reparations isn't a personal issue, it's an issue between nation states, on exactly the same principle that Germany still pays reparations to the Jewish nation, just go back a few more years. Not many more years either, the effects of slavery are still very much present. The reparations poster child: Haiti. Paid 'reverse reparations' to France until post-WW2, and gets not aid in return. How about France give every house in Haiti running water? They can rebuild the Notre Dame in just a couple years, they can do anything. Harvard just 'realized' it has a debt due, how about paying that in scholarships?

#7 May 11, 2022 2:03 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Here is the deal.  I don't mind foreign aid.  I don't mind welfare payments to people who need it.  I support helping people who need it. I support redressing past injustices.  I support redressing economic injustices.  I am on your side on this thing.

I will support reparations.

How do you lose allies like me?  Make this about punishing me. Make this about shaming me.  Make this about vilifying my race.  I would support spending billions and billions to do what we can to restore some tiny justice to the world even if I have to pay more taxes to do it.

Tell me I am bad.  Tell me I am guilty for slavery.  Tell me I don't deserve what I have.  Tell me my life's work meaningless because I rode on the back of slavery and you lose me utterly.  I did nothing wrong.  I want to help.  I will support reparations.  If, however, you vilify me for my DNA, I am out.

#8 May 11, 2022 2:05 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

"All white people owe all black people.  I mean, my ancestors didn't own African slaves.  I didn't benefit from slavery. "

RD shame on you to make that comment!  NH comment is not targeting you but to the whites who did so, and a lot of whites did so. Just like Expat got on my nerves claiming that there's no prejudice because some black people made it in Hollywood. I do not teach my whites students to develop "white guilt", but I trained them to fix the system and the damage caused by their ancestors if they're ever in a position to do so. Look at the economic disparity between blacks and whites around the world. It is generational. The centuries of discrimination, isolation, lack of educational opportunities, etc. have stagnated the black race. Even after slavery was abolished and it was suggested that they pay the blacks to work on the plantations, the whites decided to import the Chinese and the East Indians to the colonies. Black wealth is a threat to whites. Strong black families are a threat to whites, etc. If it doesn't apply to you then don't apologize but it applies to many whites. Whites sometimes pretend that slavery didn't happen despite the evidence! From your comment you might be embarrassed for what your people have done. If I were white, my apology would be worthless, and I wouldn't even attempt it. But I would make sure that I educate myself about slavery enough and train my family members how to treat people of color with respect and be an upstander whenever I hear derogatory remarks tossed out at them. RD your answer is typical of all whites, but it is not about you.

#9 May 11, 2022 2:07 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I am not saying you are vilifying me, NH but plenty do.  I fully expect to get a dose of that shortly from our fellow Talkshoppers.

#10 May 11, 2022 2:10 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

From your comment you might be embarrassed for what your people have done.

What have 'my people' done?  My ancestors are Czechs and Scandinavians.  They came from Europe straight to Iowa.  They came after slavery ended in the US.  They were poor farmers.  What did 'my people' do?

Board footer