You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#11 May 21, 2022 12:42 pm

Slice
Active

Re: Phyllis Coard: Rights vs. Wrongs

Look, most of us were in the REVO for real change, I did not know the ins and outs of the American verses the Soviet Union.  Now ah know better it was a mistake for me to support Cuba and Russia.  I happen to like Bishop and still think he was one of Grenada's best PM.  Much much better than what we have in office today.

I rank Coard with some other So-called NJM member.  They were in to better themselves.

Not so sure which was first with Phylis Coard was it River Road first or Vincennes.  I am betting her first women group was in Vincennes, because she had a will partner in Teddy Victor.  I think Vincennes was the test area.

Yes Chester was also a scamp. ah big one.

Sometime like what NH said.  Ah friend of mine in Grenada post all these so-called black articles about our history.  Then one day to prove a point he posted an article from Fox news and Tucker Carlson concerning race.  Ah ask him are you FRIGGING mad?  How the hell you go talk about race and use Tucker Carlson as an example.  Before that he posted another article that he took from Info Wars.  I ask him please try and get to know your sources.

On a side note here.  I did not realize that Bigdrumnation still exist.  The original Bigdrumnation writers were all members of Talkshop.

Last edited by Slice (May 21, 2022 12:53 pm)

#12 May 22, 2022 11:02 am

New Historian
Active

Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm … story.html

NH, I am aware of bias articles written in favor of the Coard's. Iam just trying to get a full grip of what happened in '83. Bishop's alliance with Cuba for support even though he was not a communist. Like Manley, Mr. Bishop saw the necessity of this relationship since Cuba has always lent her hands to her surrounding neighbors. RD mentioned years ago that tons of Russian ammunition were found in a warehouse when the Americans arrived. Was it planted there or did Cuba gave them to Bishop? The article placed Bishop as a "Communist" or was it the Coard's who wanted Grenada to go total Communist? Was Phyllis the brains behind her husband who pushed him to act? How do you NH know this? Were you living in their household at the time? The article mentions that they were used as a scapegoat by the USA as the killers of Bishop. Were they? Commie mentioned years ago that Phyllis caused the firing of many officials and that she was "spoiled" and felt entitled being a Tia maria heiress.  In reality, Phyllis was just a distant relative of the founder. She had no money, only a well-connected lineage.  Was she a domineering big-mouthed bully? Yet she did so much to help the women of Grenada.  Tell me more NH. Why do you blame her?

Jeez that's a whole lotta question that requires a whole lotta answer. Sadly, I not got the time right now, WSS when you get to Grenada we'll have a few drinks and talk, it'll take that long. Two books are excellent on the Revo, Adkins' book came out a year after the invasion and is very good particularly on the military aspects of the invasion. Smith's book is 2 years old and looks at the events leading up to the whole disaster. Both books are very well written and accurate. When I have more time I'll get back to this, but you could start with Smith's book, it's available online.
Revo-books.jpg

#13 May 22, 2022 6:55 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Will read them.

#14 May 24, 2022 11:43 am

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:
Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm … story.html

NH, I am aware of bias articles written in favor of the Coard's. Iam just trying to get a full grip of what happened in '83. Bishop's alliance with Cuba for support even though he was not a communist. Like Manley, Mr. Bishop saw the necessity of this relationship since Cuba has always lent her hands to her surrounding neighbors. RD mentioned years ago that tons of Russian ammunition were found in a warehouse when the Americans arrived. Was it planted there or did Cuba gave them to Bishop? The article placed Bishop as a "Communist" or was it the Coard's who wanted Grenada to go total Communist? Was Phyllis the brains behind her husband who pushed him to act? How do you NH know this? Were you living in their household at the time? The article mentions that they were used as a scapegoat by the USA as the killers of Bishop. Were they? Commie mentioned years ago that Phyllis caused the firing of many officials and that she was "spoiled" and felt entitled being a Tia maria heiress.  In reality, Phyllis was just a distant relative of the founder. She had no money, only a well-connected lineage.  Was she a domineering big-mouthed bully? Yet she did so much to help the women of Grenada.  Tell me more NH. Why do you blame her?

Jeez that's a whole lotta question that requires a whole lotta answer. Sadly, I not got the time right now, WSS when you get to Grenada we'll have a few drinks and talk, it'll take that long. Two books are excellent on the Revo, Adkins' book came out a year after the invasion and is very good particularly on the military aspects of the invasion. Smith's book is 2 years old and looks at the events leading up to the whole disaster. Both books are very well written and accurate. When I have more time I'll get back to this, but you could start with Smith's book, it's available online.
https://i.postimg.cc/z3Jm0L8V/Revo-books.jpg

Let me know when she in Greenz.  I should be there in under two weeks.

#15 May 24, 2022 5:31 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

There is no doubt that the PRG received military aid from Cuba.  It also received military aid from North Korea, East Germany and Czechoslovakia.  We have all seen the armored vehicles, trucks, ZSU anti-aircraft guns and Kalashnikovs that appeared during the Revo.  That there was also ammunition should not, in any way, be controversial.  Of course it was there.

I understand that the military capabilities and threat of the Grenadian People's Revolutionary Army and militia as presented by the Reagan Administration was greatly exaggerated.  That does not mean, however, that the PRG during the Revo wasn't adding weapons and ammunition to the Grenadian inventory. They most certainly were.

#16 May 24, 2022 5:34 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

10428299-10204623167883414-2067337357332194818-o.jpg

10982893-10152685993051097-8023383307377480733-n.jpg

12113460-848595358581737-2461906375914182093-o.jpg

156650084-A89-TVJKT-DFSN8410734.jpg

198315-std.jpg

74669e587a5c5744d1f4640f7cbc23f1.jpg

grenada.jpg

grenada-13.jpg

Last edited by Real Distwalker (May 24, 2022 5:35 pm)

#17 May 24, 2022 7:29 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

RD, let us talk in a civil manner now. All good leader knows that the strength of a nation lies in their army. Building a strong defense does not mean that you are going to aim it at the good ole' USA. Just like the USA supported Jonas Savimbi during the Angolan war by giving them weaponry. Bishop was a smart man, but he didn't have the insight to know that America would crush him because of his alliance with Cuba. Why were the guns there? Did you Americans ever find out?

#18 May 24, 2022 7:32 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

It wasn't Americans who 'crushed' Bishop.  Check your notes.

In any case, I wasn't opining on the appropriateness of the PRG arming Grenada.  I was just confirming that it did, in fact, arm Grenada and there is no reason to theorize that the ammunition on Grenada in 1983 was, as you suggest, 'planted'.

#19 May 24, 2022 8:01 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

The evidence points to Coard and his regime. But did the Americans send in their secret service agents to destabilize Bishop's regime during his tension with Coard as they always have done? Bishop was in his labyrinth and therefore might have appeared duplicitous with his intent. What did he want for Grenada? He made friends with US enemies but does not totally want to join them. He was playing with fire and that is why he got burned!

#20 May 24, 2022 8:15 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

So CIA agents secretly and undetected made the RMC kill half the Central Committee of the NJM Party.   This would be the same CIA that...

Botched the Bay of Pigs.
Missed the USSR putting missiles in Cuba.
Were wrong about everything in Vietnam
Didn't know there were two True Blue campuses on Grenada.
Was surprised when the Soviets invaded Afghanistan.
Didn't see the Soviets war footing during Able Archer 83.
Didn't see the collapse of the Soviet Union coming.
Didn't foresee the fall of the Berlin Wall.
Had no idea the 9/11 attacks were coming.
Said there were WMDs in Iraq.
Took years to find bin Laden.

This is the super elite CIA you are talking about?

Board footer