You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 May 23, 2022 7:41 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

NINA SIMONE: I AINT GOT NO, I GOT LIFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5jI9I03q8E

Sing it girl!

I spent nine days in a bread and breakfast by Nina's home in Carry le Rouet in the Southern France. It was heaven! I would like to spend 5 months there.

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (May 23, 2022 7:54 pm)

#2 May 23, 2022 9:16 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: NINA SIMONE: I AINT GOT NO, I GOT LIFE

Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5jI9I03q8E

Sing it girl!

I spent nine days in a bread and breakfast by Nina's home in Carry le Rouet in the Southern France. It was heaven! I would like to spend 5 months there.

Was the diva in residence? Did I tell you my Nina diva story from Jamaica? Pretty sure I did.

#3 May 24, 2022 7:32 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Yes, you did! You tried to get into Nina's drawers after you followed her to the ladies' room, but she accidentally sat on your neck and almost broke it. You had to wear a neck brace for 4 months.?

#4 May 24, 2022 8:12 pm

New Historian
Active

Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

Yes, you did! You tried to get into Nina's drawers after you followed her to the ladies' room, but she accidentally sat on your neck and almost broke it. You had to wear a neck brace for 4 months.?

Haha good one Cal! I love Nina, she was a great singer/pianist, but she was no babe, not my type! Unfortunately, for her, she underestimated the tenacity of a Jamaican audience! smile

Nina Simone, Diva of all Divas, also came to Jamaica; that didn’t go well either. In the sixties, Nina had a huge hit in Jamaica: My Baby Just Cares For Me. With its catchy ska-influenced upbeat tempo, no self-respecting Jamaican deejay could neglect to play it, to rapturously dancing couples. Trouble is, to Nina herself, it was virtually unknown, originally the B-side to a hit song: recorded and forgotten. Not in Jamaica, every single person in that audience at the Carib Theatre in Crossroads was expecting, at some point but sooner rather than later, her to get them swinging in the aisles to their favourite tune.

Not so, she ran through her repertoire of jazz-influenced songs, clearly too high-brow for a large and increasingly impatient section of the audience. Inevitably, someone voiced their opinion, followed by another, louder. She stopped the show: what? Someone explained: we want that song. What song? Divas cannot be told what to sing, so she carried on regardless. So did the crowd. Louder. There was only going to be one loser in this battle, and in true diva style, she threw an enormous strop and flounced offstage – to the ringing sounds of a thousand Jamaican belly-laughs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYSbUOoq4Vg

Nina.jpg

#5 May 24, 2022 8:32 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Nina would have been too much woman for you to handle like Foxy Brown. She was opinionated and tempestuous! Jazz in Jamaica?? It does not work.

#6 May 26, 2022 9:38 am

Dancer
Active

' Nina and Lady Day  . Not my favorite women singers. Too unhappy  ,  lo.
I could not  take it .'

... I went to U Tube.

Crazy Baldhead / Running away ::::  LIVE at Rainbow theatre LONDON 1977.

Wanna listen to some music ?
" Hear Bob scatting ,  sounding different every time    and  ... the Wailers.
' On their game."

Last edited by Dancer (May 26, 2022 10:08 am)

Board footer