You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 May 25, 2022 4:18 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

The Chinese Caught Skinning and Eating Dogs in Trinidad!

https://www.721news.com/2015/07/chinese … oes-viral/

Dog lovers in the Caribbean must be aware that as the Chinese invade our lovely islands, they are carrying with them a horrible tradition that goes back thousands of years. THEY ARE EATING OUR DOGS! A video has gone viral showing a cute little furry friend being skinned in preparation to be stewed. What is the law doing about it?

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (May 25, 2022 4:24 am)

#2 May 25, 2022 9:42 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: The Chinese Caught Skinning and Eating Dogs in Trinidad!

Dammit!  We humans have an understanding with dogs and a foundational aspect of that understanding we don't eat each other!!!

#3 May 25, 2022 10:12 am

New Historian
Active

I'm not even watching the video, couldn't. My brother went to a dog market in China, and yes he even ate a dish. Biologically, there's no reason why we shouldn't eat dogs, but every other way screams: NO!

#4 May 25, 2022 11:28 am

Real Distwalker
Active

My brother worked for a multi-national in China for a couple years and had an assistant. This assistant liked to get my brother some exotic dishes; things he wouldn't normally eat.  You know, like donkey or some kind of ugly fish.  My brother told him that is all good fun but if he ever tricks him into eating dog he will be fired.

#5 May 25, 2022 1:54 pm

New Historian
Active

Well said that man. In 1982 my wife and i went hiking in Thailand, high up in the Golden Triangle, the opium-growing area between Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. It was just her, me, our amazing guide Moses King, who'd fought against communists in the CIA's secret war and had the scars to prove it. He hired a porter to carry our food for the 7-day trek, a member of a local tribe who ate dogs. In every village we entered, the Karen and Akha tribes, all the dogs would bark at this porter, sometimes rushing him, because they smelt their brothers and sisters on him!

#6 May 25, 2022 4:36 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

This practice has been going on for a thousand years and it is incorrect! Just like FGM and the Spanish bullfight, such practices must be abolished. It is not going to be easy.  If starvation hits the world and we scrounge for food, would we eat dogs? Only time will tell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOCWCt3VeAU

#7 May 25, 2022 7:31 pm

houston
Active

That actually looks dog gone good. If we ever got into starvation mode, I'd rather eat my furry best friend than my human friend.

For a few years during the late 80's I worked for a Korean guy, Mr. Oh and his assistant Mr. Lee.
Both disappeared for a couple of months during the Seoul Olympics in 1988. When they returned, Mr. Lee told me about the dog vendors being tucked away as the optics weren't good being on the world stage.
Apparently street vendors sold dog meat as commonly as we do here in North America with hot dogs (no pun intended) Franks and sausages.
Lee also told me in his broken English about the live sex shows that he attended at theatres. Some involving dogs.
Weird, or what?
I think there are some very strange things that go on in countries that would be totally unacceptable in the wild west.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/ … 930025002/

#8 May 25, 2022 8:19 pm

New Historian
Active

'If starvation hits the world and we scrounge for food, would we eat dogs? Only time will tell!'

Time has already told the answer to that question, and way worse: cannibalism. Time and again, it's known among sailors as "the law if the sea", survival at all costs. Remember the Andes plane crash survivors - "Pass me that thigh, please".

#9 May 25, 2022 8:48 pm

houston
Active

Survival is paramount. I remember the Andes story and many similar tales.
The last thing an Inuit in the Arctic wants to have to do is have to eat his hard working Husky.
On many occasions, sled dogs became dinner.

#10 May 26, 2022 1:32 pm

Slice
Active

Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

https://www.721news.com/2015/07/chinese … oes-viral/

Dog lovers in the Caribbean must be aware that as the Chinese invade our lovely islands, they are carrying with them a horrible tradition that goes back thousands of years. THEY ARE EATING OUR DOGS! A video has gone viral showing a cute little furry friend being skinned in preparation to be stewed. What is the law doing about it?

Look its their culture, I wont condemn them for eating their dogs. I use to hunt and eat manicou and armadillo.  Doh get me wrong ah love dogs, but we must willing to admit their culture is theirs.

Wish ah could keep dogs in me place in Greenz.  Time to short doh.

Board footer