You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 May 30, 2022 6:20 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

When Superstitions Control Our Mind!

https://news365.co.za/her-dirty-panties/

Food vendors in South Africa were told to put their worn and filthy knickers into their cooking pots by obeahmen because it would increase their earnings. Can you Imagine that! The very thought of it is most disgusting. Africa is continent that is shrouded in superstitions which cause them to commit gross crimes: having sexual intercourse with young virgins to cure their HIV status and even hacking children to death to use their body parts in witchcraft.  Some cultures have such strange practices that are blatantly wrong and should not be tolerated.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-47447103

#2 May 31, 2022 9:02 am

Slice
Active

Re: When Superstitions Control Our Mind!

The surprising thing is that 95% Grenadians are exactly the same.  It blew me away.  I just was not ready to hear what I was hearing from Grenadians.  They all believe in some kinda Witchcraft or Obeah.

I have met a number of Grenadians that believe that vaccination are the only way out of this disease.  In other words Grenadians are kinda mixed on Covid and vaccines.

Not so with this Obeah thing, they all believe in the damn thing.

If one day I admit in a crowd, in Windsor Forest that I am an Atheist.  None of my people will want anything to do with me.  Grenadians are a very odd bunch.

#3 May 31, 2022 11:47 am

New Historian
Active

"Food vendors in South Africa were told to put their worn and filthy knickers into their cooking pots by obeahmen"

This is rich, coming from a Yard ooman, you ent never hear of "tying"?? How women go to the obeahman, and he tells her to cook food for the man she wants to tie, by adding a dose of ... menstrual blood??? So before you start peltin' stone, check unnu owna glass house.

#4 May 31, 2022 7:41 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

A woman "tying" a man using her mensural blood is not a novelty in the Caribbean. Even though the act is unorthodox, the blood itself is not unclean. Worn drawers are unclean! I've never heard of a woman using dirty panties in her pot to make money but then I really do not eat street food.

#5 May 31, 2022 8:30 pm

New Historian
Active

the blood itself is not unclean

And you, the haematologist, know this do you? And you know the possible effects of adding stale, contaminated menstrual blood to human food, never mind thinking about the conveyance, by which said blood was removed from its original home and into said food.

WOMAN, IT'S DAMN NASTY, STOP TRYING TO DEFEND NASTINESS!

#6 Jun 01, 2022 2:09 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

I am not trying to defend "nastiness" as you call it. Blood develops an odor when it is exposed to oxygen. If the woman has a venereal disease, then that's another story. Stop being an ignorant West Indian who thinks that women are unclean during mensuration. We do not want to continue a negative image of women's normal flow of blood like Muslims. The act is disgusting! People east blood pudding all the time.
>>>>>
Contrary to that belief, the blood you menstruate is just as “clean” as the venous blood that comes from every other part of the body and it's harmless as long as you don't have any bloodborne diseases (pathogens aren't picky when it comes to manifesting in bodily fluids) <<<<
NH, coming to think about it my elementary school education was occasionally disrupted by the chaos of the "de Laurence man" coming to collect money from a client. We, the children, would rush out of the classroom because people professed seeing dancing shit-pots!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._W._de_Laurence

The article is wrong. De Laurence did not bring Obeah to Jamaica. It is a part of our West African culture.

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (Jun 01, 2022 5:52 am)

#7 Jun 01, 2022 1:11 pm

New Historian
Active

'it's harmless as long as you don't have any bloodborne diseases'

Yes, doctor WSS! Yuh talkin bare shyte ooman, any a yuh do dat to me, you'd be amazed how quickly I'll 'untie' myself! Nobody's saying you're unclean during menstruation, but yuh damn nasty if yuh put day shyte inna any man's food. You can't see that? Stop defending the indefensible nuh.

#8 Jun 01, 2022 5:13 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

>>>The act is disgusting! <<< But superstitious women do it! There's no such thing to "tie a man'!

Board footer