You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 May 30, 2022 6:00 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

ANOTHER HISTORIC HOUSE FOR SALE IN GRENADA

https://www.7thheavenproperties.com/rea … -for-sale/

This colonial past must be preserved. Great antique furniture and other household paraphernalia.  Dancer, NH are you too poor to bid?

#2 May 30, 2022 7:17 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: ANOTHER HISTORIC HOUSE FOR SALE IN GRENADA

A. I am, indeed, too broke to bid, and B. Who de ass wants to live out deh in de bush? 6 acres of land is a plantation, and agriculture dead, until they legalize the green gold. Historically, it is 'worth' it; but practically, way overpriced. Good luck though, in them finding their millionaire with a love for rural history.

#3 May 30, 2022 7:51 pm

houston
Active

You must be earning some good money if those prices are within your budget.
Nice place that could be managed by one of those villa rental agencies.
Needs a dunk pool though.

#4 May 30, 2022 8:39 pm

New Historian
Active

"Needs a dunk pool though." I hate all pools, is that one of those that's barely bigger than a bath? smile

I live in an an old wooden house that's not too dissimilar from that one, around 200 years old. In the original brickwork ground floor, there are gun turrets in the walls! Trust me on this: old houses take a LOT of money to maintain! Y'see chi-chi? I'm sure you know what I mean WSS: termites. For a long while, before the owner finally replaced the kitchen ceiling, every morning, there'd be a light dusting of tiny black spots on every flat surface: chi-chi shit! In the kitchen? Eww, after a fortnight away, I came back to a blanket of shit!

Nah it doh need no dunk junk, what it needs is, as WSS says, is renovation, done with sensitivity and quality - no concrete or zinc! Which is expensive, very. Amidst period furniture, serve period food, by people/actors in period clothes, narrating the history of the house throughout - the good and bad. It's far from town though, but it could be combined with existing tours to Belmont and others.

It only takes two "little" ingredients: passion, and lots and lots of money.

#5 May 30, 2022 9:28 pm

New Historian
Active

'before the owner finally replaced the kitchen ceiling'

Oh, that was after she'd finally replaced the our bedroom ceiling, imagine chi-chi shit, on your BEDSHEETS?? Every night before bed we'd shake 'em out the window! It's a beautiful, stately, quirky old home, but we love it. And the VIEWS! This is the first time I've lived 'in tong', and I love it. Well, for the most part, that muddakunt tief/mechanic who's stoled FIVE of my car/batteries aside! You set your body clock to the life of the tong: the hymns of the naught kids in the Berean School next door, the Osprey schedule, you watch the big ships, and mega-yachts, docking verrry slowly. And, amazingly, the birds, the chicken-hawks!

Tong life.

The day we moved in.

Clovelly1.jpg

#6 May 30, 2022 9:43 pm

houston
Active

Dunk pools are perfect for doing laps, amazing how many reps can be completed in a short time.
I'm a big fan of those old, rickety century homes. They require a bit of attention and $$$,s but so much more interesting than the modern architectures. In fact, the bones are usually a lot more sound than the boxy homes quickly built in cardboard acres.

#7 May 30, 2022 9:55 pm

New Historian
Active

Oh god American houses, we owned a house in Virginia which I christened the Micky Mouse House, not a solid bone in it! Plasterboard walls, fake brick cladding, one of my sons through his brother halfway through the basement wall! With much pride, I might add. I watched them put up a development on my jogs, most popular tools are mail guns and riveters, it's up in four months!

As it so happens, I'm a month into my own, final, house-building project, which my kids tell me to stop calling 'my final resting place'!! We jokingly started calling it the corny Dunroamin, which after living in dozens of countries, seems to fit. It's a good deal more solid than my last house, of Micky Mouse fame!

Clovelly2.jpg

Dunroamin1.jpg

#8 May 30, 2022 10:03 pm

houston
Active

Nice NH. Good to see all the years of hard work go into the final stop.

#9 May 31, 2022 12:18 am

New Historian
Active

Thanks, appreciate it. The site couldn't be more perfect, topographically and personally. Bequeathed to me by my grandfather, Endee Samuel, more than half a century ago, breeze for days with views of:

A valley (which was part of my grandfather's estate)

A mountain (Morne Gazo aka Mongozo)

A Sea (Caribbean)

An Ocean (Atlantic)

And, best of all:

Mount Rose House, the mini-mansion that same grand daddy built, much of it with his bare hands.

PS: I finally, finally, sent off the final-final manuscript, with all 137 jpegs and other stuff - to my publisher! Christmas stocking-stuffer? Watch and space.

#10 May 31, 2022 5:53 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

NH you should be intelligent enough to know that historic houses are old and in need of repair by skilled individuals. It is not cheap to maintain! That house, although lovely is very over-priced but a good arrangement can be made with the seller. I love its isolation. it's away from many people. That's really part of its charm. You can't just move into an old house without having it inspected. In your case the roof needed repair among many other things. Good luck with your new home! I see pictures of miniatures houses on hilltops around it.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/estate/view/1292

Mount Rose mansion in the parish of St. Patrick isn't that old. It was built in the 19th century.  Slavery was soon to be abolished (1838).
PS

Put yuh book on Amazon suh mi cyann read it!

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (May 31, 2022 6:01 am)

Board footer