You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Jun 05, 2022 10:07 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

NH: Writing Tips for the Memoirist

New Historian, when you are writing, your stories could be stronger if you write from the heart. Also, combine these three powerful perspectives: repressed memories, forbidden memories and hidden memories. I have realized that when I write--although memoirs are not my genre, the various perspectives combined, keep the audience's attention.

#2 Jun 06, 2022 11:55 am

Dancer
Active

Re: NH: Writing Tips for the Memoirist

I was going to write a  new  post  asking of NH whereabouts . Then I read 'Tips for the Memoirist '

WHAT was the little squabble  about again .... A word .  lo.

>> New Historian , when you are writing , your stories could be stronger  - if you write from the heart -  << ( here , I chuckled )

Now NH , reading the same , might EXCLAIM  what a ...... ?

'cause up to now    I ain't certain if it was done out of Malice or helpful suggestions. .....(a little help, bad girl )lo.
So WSS ,  ....
You are a real player , Known or Unknown. lol.
...write from the heart  " what a broad "
Org . smh.
Got NH on the back foot .
....... smh

#3 Jun 06, 2022 2:11 pm

New Historian
Active

Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

New Historian, when you are writing, your stories could be stronger if you write from the heart. Also, combine these three powerful perspectives: repressed memories, forbidden memories and hidden memories. I have realized that when I write--although memoirs are not my genre, the various perspectives combined, keep the audience's attention.

Funny you mention I could put more emotion into my writing, I thought I put in too much. You want emotion? Here's emotion, which might explain something:

My mother was a complete and utter bitch: selfish, mean-spirited and without one ounce of motherly love.

There: that only took sixty years to get off my chest - and it sure felt good! Sixty years of pain and anger, barely buried. Sixty years of the Big Question: Why? Why did you leave us? Not just leave, abandon, forget, ignore us – why? Was your 'freedom' worth so much to you, that you could cause such irrevocable pain, to four people? Did you even know, how devastated our father was, after you disappeared? Even when he flew to Nassau and begged you to come back, for your sons’ sake, because they needed their mother, you couldn’t even reach out, send us a letter? You even forgot our faces, for fuck’s sake! My brother and I stood before your desk, and all you could say was: who are you? What do you want?  Don’t all females have that motherly instinct, to protect their young? Can a mother just abandon that primal urge? Evidently, yes.

She was one of a kind, our mother.

Is that emotion enough for you?

#4 Jun 06, 2022 6:29 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

>>My mother was a complete and utter bitch: selfish, mean-spirited and without one ounce of motherly love.>>>

If you write about her, it will calm down the anger. You must be honest. I suggest reading Jamaica Kincaid's, Autobiography of My Mother and study her craft. She does it so well.

Beautiful! Don't tell me show me.  What was your earliest recollection of her? What did she look like? Smell like? If she abused you physically and psychologically, what did she do? How did you view her? Did you want to stick her with an eating folk? (My mother wanted to do this to her mother.)  You must have known that your parents were having their struggles when you were young? How did you know? Did she take it out on you? What memories did you repress about her abandoning the family? What forbidden or shocking memories you want to share? What memories about her have you tucked away with the hope that they'd stay there without being undiscovered? Now is the time to reveal them!

#5 Jun 06, 2022 6:55 pm

New Historian
Active

Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

>>My mother was a complete and utter bitch: selfish, mean-spirited and without one ounce of motherly love.>>>

If you write about her, it will calm down the anger. You must be honest. I suggest reading Jamaica Kincaid's, Autobiography of My Mother and study her craft. She does it so well.

Beautiful! Don't tell me show me.  What was your earliest recollection of her? What did she look like? Smell like? If she abused you physically and psychologically, what did she do? How did you view her? Did you want to stick her with an eating folk? (My mother wanted to do this to her mother.)  You must have known that your parents were having their struggles when you were young? How did you know? Did she take it out on you? What memories did you repress about her abandoning the family? What forbidden or shocking memories you want to share? What memories about her have you tucked away with the hope that they'd stay there without being undiscovered? Now is the time to reveal them!

Thank you - all will soon be revealed! That bit came from the concluding chapter to my book, all will be explained, including all your answers above.

#6 Jun 06, 2022 7:35 pm

New Historian
Active

What forbidden or shocking memories you want to share?

Many, all bad, but one in particular, that towers over the rest. I couldn't believe that she could have hurt me any more, but oh boy, was I ever wrong. It was very painful and difficult to write about, requiring the calming effects of liquid and herbal substances lol!

#7 Jun 06, 2022 8:00 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Dancer wants me to obeah yuh!

#8 Jun 06, 2022 9:11 pm

New Historian
Active

If and when we ever meet, I'll make sure to stay away from any food!!

#9 Jun 07, 2022 5:54 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Most importantly stay away from a lobster meal!

Last edited by Wide Sargasso Sea (Jun 07, 2022 6:11 am)

Board footer