You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Jun 07, 2022 8:11 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

SHOULD THE CARIBBEAN CELEBRATE ITS IRISH ROOTS//

https://www.beach.com/activities/where- … caribbean/

The Parish of St. Patrick in Grenada has Irish roots.

>>>>>The Irish were a more desirable “slave stock” than Africans, who had to be “caught,” because they could be obtained for free and sold for a profit. Because they were “cheaper” the Irish would often suffer harsher punishments from their plantation masters.

It is estimated that between 30,000 and 80,000 Irish were sold as laborers. D’Costa says that “while most European settlers on the islands confined themselves to a single island giving rise to the identifications we know today as Hispanic Caribbean, French Caribbean, and British Caribbean,” the Irish presence in the Caribbean became firmly established and can be found on practically all of the Caribbean islands.>>>>>

#2 Jun 07, 2022 11:03 am

Dancer
Active

Re: SHOULD THE CARIBBEAN CELEBRATE ITS IRISH ROOTS//

1950 - 1960 -1970 ..... Don't forget. - milk in  the coffee/ coffee in the milk.
Reading your hurt  is understandable and tough ,  expressing 60 years  is no walk in the park.
BUT , what struck me was the WHY .
That  question  is  NOT  for you to ...... 

LET me post my scribbled sentences about your  why ...

Why ... wrong question -- you mean ,  why me ?    (family)
Wrong question ... leads nowhere
there could be a million an  1 answer to 'why' . Maybe your Mum  could not , does not , cannot  answer that herself. For all your reasons and more.
But  you must  give her a little slack .  Must have been a 'trip' to be married to your Dad , and all that went with it  at that time .

Think of it this way : WHY  ,  is  not for you to ask  , absolutely no control over that . ( fighting for Dad. eh )

What is  Fear of Abandonment.
Is the type of anxiety that some people experience when faced with the idea of losing someone they care about..
However with abandonment issues live in fear of these losses . They may also exhibit behaviors that push people to leave  so they are never surprised by the loss.
BTW NH . You are not doing  badly, express yourself. 
Don't forget ,  Some have abandonment issues with  families  under the same roof.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

#3 Jun 07, 2022 11:22 am

Dancer
Active

Pardon moi  WSS . See what Obeah does to one . Can't read , wrong post . The  spell is  strong.
That is why I want NH on my side  ,,,, sometimes. lol.

#4 Jun 08, 2022 2:22 pm

New Historian
Active

Absolutely we shoud celebrate our Irish links, we and them have a lot in common: being downtrodden by the English! In the sixties we'd call them Paddies, and even Black Irish, because we banded together as immigrants. The Irish suffered terribly, the Irish Famine and thousands were sent to the Caribbean as 'semi-slaves.'

And besides, there's no friendlier folk than the Irish!

Black-Irish-dogs.jpg

#5 Jun 08, 2022 7:37 pm

houston
Active

Interesting film that was banned at some theaters in the Republic.
The Black and Tans were an undisciplined band of drunken WW1 veterans. They were an angry, brutal, vicious mob that should have never been unleashed on Ireland by the British. Those maniacs created decades of division.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Win … ley_(film)

Board footer