You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Jun 09, 2022 10:29 pm

New Historian
Active

Jamaica's Jim Brown

How ironic is it, that Jamaica’s most notorious cocaine kingpin, was actually named Coke: Lester Lloyd Coke. But of course, like all Jamaican men he never went by his real name of Lester Lloyd Coke, but by his self-chosen nom de guerre: Jim Brown.

Jim Brown picked up the mantle left by the death of Claudie Massop, co-instigator of the short-lived 1978 Peace Treaty. Brown, leader of the notorious JLP-affiliated Shower Posse, soon realized that the Jamaican dollars they’d been making off government contracts at home was chump change, compared to the millions of real dollars that beckoned, from the lucrative New York crack trade. In a crime world known for extreme acts of violence, the Shower Posse had doctorates in terror; quickly earning a deserved reputation for wanton acts of savagery against all who crossed their path – or even who didn’t.

In one infamous episode, Jim Brown went into a blue rage in a Miami crack house he thought had ripped him off, and single-handedly executed five of its inhabitants, including a pregnant 22-year-old woman, kneeling and praying for her life – with a crack pipe in her hand. The only good thing that came from this grisly episode in the crack house, is that for the first time, Jamaica’s drug posses appeared on the radar screen of the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. The Feds formed a special inter-Agency task force to tackle the posse menace, and it wasn’t long before it yielded results: in 1985 Jim Brown was arrested on a murder charge arising out of the crack house carnage, but it didn’t stick. The FBI nevertheless arranged to deport Brown, but the Jamaican government was dragging its feet to receive him; so the US government hired a plane and sent him back to Kingston unannounced: here’s your problem – deal with it!

Back on familiar turf, Jim Brown continued his murderous ways without skipping a beat. He was appointed as Prime Minister Edward Seaga’s personal bodyguard, giving him unprecedented political protection. In one excursion to discipline the members of the nearby Rema gang, the Shower Posse went on a murderous rampage which left twelve people dead, and countless wounded. Murder charges ensued, but yet again, there were no witnesses foolish enough. On the day that Brown was acquitted, I happened to be in the vicinity of the Supreme Court on Barry Street in downtown Kingston. All of a sudden I heard the unmistakable sounds of repeated volleys of gunshots, fired in quick succession. What the …?

Like everyone else I had no idea what was going on but had no intention of finding out. Once again, all roads leading uptown from downtown were clogged, as I joined the throngs of other bewildered drivers, heading to so-called safety. It wasn’t until I saw the evening news that I found out what had happened: upon Jim Brown’s release from the Supreme Court building, members of his Shower Posse fired celebratory volleys of gunshots in mock military salute of their beloved leader’s freedom; with policemen, lawyers and bewigged judges scampering for cover under the barrage.

Late one night, a minibus driver made the mistake of bad-driving Jim Brown, in that same dark blue BMW, and compounded it by cursing him into the bargain. Brown exploded; he chased down the minibus and forced it to a stop, police style. By this time, the poor driver realized who he’d just crossed, but it was too late for apologies. As blows rained down upon the hapless driver’s head, who happened to show up but a police car. Recognizing Jim Brown immediately, they did the only sensible thing: they arrested the minibus driver. “For his own protection.”

But it did no good. While the police took the petrified minibus driver to Denham Town police station, Brown and his men went back to their Tivoli Gardens lair; and stewed. Several hours later, Brown’s murderous rage had to be sated. He led his men, now armed to the teeth, back to Denham Town police station and demanded the terrified driver. The police duly complied. The driver’s bullet riddled body was found the following morning, on a garbage dump.

Jim Brown’s death was a mirror image of his life: violent and enigmatic. Finally, inevitably, the long arm of the FBI caught up with the Shower Posse, and in 1988 murder and racketeering charges were laid against Jim Brown, who was living in Jamaica at the time. Extradition proceedings were initiated by the FBI, and the Jamaican government went through the motions, duly arresting Coke and locking him up in Kingston’s decrepit General Penitentiary on Tower Street.

But you got the distinct impression that nobody in Jamaica, least of all Prime Minister Edward Seaga, really wanted to see Lester Lloyd Coke in an American Federal Court, where he could be persuaded to talk – who knew what dark secrets lay therein? People knew, but were afraid. Then, the strangest thing happened. With Jim Brown “safely” locked away in Jamaica’s highest security prison, he … self-immolated. Seemingly without cause or witness, Jim Brown, in his prison cell, just … burnt to death. It was a complete mystery, no one could explain it.

What shocked everyone wasn’t that Jim Brown had been murdered, that went with the territory; it was how. It’s easy enough to kill an inmate: a shiv to the guts in the food line will do; but to burn him up in his cell? Message received loud and clear. To have the kind of connections to do that, it was clear that this had to come from the top. The very top.

Regardless of its cause, Jim Brown’s death was marked by a national outpouring of grief, especially in his native Tivoli Gardens. Over twenty thousand people attended his funeral parade, virtually an affair of state, including no less than Prime Minister Edward Seaga.

Such is the nature of the umbilical link between crime, drugs and politics, in Jamaica.

Jim-Brown.jpg

#2 Jun 10, 2022 1:43 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Re: Jamaica's Jim Brown

Jim Brown was the founder of the shower Posse. His son, Christopher Michael Coke, aka "Dudas" took over the mob empire after his dad died.  There was a big shoot-out in Tivoli Gardens in 2010 killing many people over Coke's extradition to the USA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Coke

#3 Jun 10, 2022 10:05 am

Dancer
Active

>> self - immolated  <    good word.
'I wonder if Jamaicans never heard of  ... Spontaneous Human Combustion '
Blaming the  pooolice  and big shots.
Lord !.

#4 Jun 11, 2022 10:50 am

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attempted … Bob_Marley

Yuh too rass mad! Yuh mean fi tell mi dat Manley sen in one ah fi im man fi shoot Bob? Dat nuh mek nuh sense an' yuh know it!

#5 Jun 11, 2022 2:27 pm

New Historian
Active

Wide Sargasso Sea wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attempted … Bob_Marley

Yuh too rass mad! Yuh mean fi tell mi dat Manley sen in one ah fi im man fi shoot Bob? Dat nuh mek nuh sense an' yuh know it!

Oh gawd help me here. Read my lips: BUCKY MARSHALL DIDN'T ORDER THE HIT ON BOB, CLAUDIE MASSOP DID! Has it finally passed through that thick skull of yours??? Clearly, either you weren't in Jamaica dem times, or your grey matter is seriously impaired over time!!

#6 Jun 11, 2022 3:39 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

INCORRECT! BOTH WERE LABOURITES FROM TIVOLI GARDENS IN THE WESTERN GHETTO!

#7 Jun 11, 2022 6:11 pm

New Historian
Active

*Sigh* I'm going to enjoy this. For the fifth, and hopefully final time, READ and LEARN:

"Ironically, the idea for the One Love Peace Concert came from two such gangsters from rival political factions, who happened to be locked up in the same jail cell together and who both wanted to alleviate the violence. Claudius 'Claudie' Massop (JLP) and Aston 'Bucky' Marshall (PNP) decided that the best means to bring the country together was to use music as a uniting factor and organize a major concert."
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/One_Love_Peace_Concert

That's not enough? Then read this:

"In Jamaica, he was the Tuff Gong – a whipsmart survivor of the Trenchtown slums, and one of the few men able to reason with the PNP’s chief gunman Bucky Marshall and then sit down with Claudie Massop, the ranking don from the JLP. "
https://sydneyreviewofbooks.com/review/ … -killings/

Want more? And now: the apology.....

#8 Jun 11, 2022 6:43 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

You are almost correct, and I am wrong. Jim Brown and Claudie Massop were working together with the CIA in exchange for cocaine and weapons. Seaga knew what was happening and turned a left ear.

#9 Jun 11, 2022 8:03 pm

New Historian
Active

'You are almost correct, and I am wrong.' Typical ooman, and classic Cal (sorry, I'm slow getting used to the WSS handle). "I'm wrong, kind of, but you're not right!" You are wrong, big of you to admit it, finally, and I am right. You left Ja as a kid, right? It shows, you diasporans life off third-hand news. I was there, in my twenties, I lived it, knew it, knew people who were in it, don't have the arrogance to tell me that you know more about what went down in Jamaica in those days, than me. You were completely wrong and yet continue to spout half-truths and theories. Bucky Marshall was NOT in league with the CIA, he led the PNP gang that were outgunned by the JLP's Shower Posse, flush with their CIA-given M-16s.

Boy, getting you to admit you're wrong, without you adding a million equally wrong caveats, is like killing a moray eel - you've got to chop its head off!

#10 Jun 11, 2022 10:17 pm

Dancer
Active

"Thank goodness .
Someone is finally correct.  While reading I thought I was at a tennis  match.

*#$% Thanks. lol.

Board footer