You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the one and only Spiceislander Talkshop. Please register and make your first post in the New Members Forum. Just mention 'Grenada' in your first post and you will be upgraded to full access.

#1 Jun 12, 2022 12:45 pm

New Historian
Active

My encounter with said Mister Brown

I would go on to have another encounter with Jim Brown, one way more sinister. Epiphany Disco was Jamaica’s premier nightclub, where you rubbed shoulders with the crème de la crème of Kingston society: business leaders, reggae stars, politicians and gold-bedecked drug dons. One Saturday night, at around two o’clock, I’d decided to make it an early night. I said goodbye to Shacks and Maurice and headed downstairs to my car. To find myself blocked in, by a dark blue Beemer. Shit, I go back upstairs, ask the deejay to announce that, could the driver of car number so-and-so please come and move it. Go back downstairs and wait. And wait. No one shows. Back upstairs: repeat the process. And again. By the time the driver, a heavyset man in his forties, finally comes down, half an hour later, I’m fit to be tied.

“What the fuck! You know how long I’ve been waiting for you? Rass!” He mumbled something and moved slowly to his car. Then, I said something stupid, something incredibly, incredibly stupid, that could easily have, and probably very nearly did, get me killed.

“Is like my fucking time don’t mean a damned thing, people like you really piss me off!”

People like you? Who the fuck tell me to say that! He turned around and glared at me, I for the first time I looked into his face - and froze. As I looked into his heavy-set eyes, recognition hit me, along with a sickening knot of fear in my stomach. It was Jim Brown, and he was livid. I saw his right hand instinctively move towards something underneath his baggy shirt, and I read his mind, clear as night: shall I shoot this fool, right here? Just then, I felt the grip of Shacks’ hand on my arm and his hot breath in my ear, telling me something I didn’t need telling:

“Fool! That’s Jim Brown!”

I actually squawked. You never saw anyone splutter an apology quicker – or more grovelingly! As I blurted out my pathetic excuses, to Mister Brown, for my foolish outburst, no disrespect intended, he relaxed. A little. I exhaled, and slunk away, shaking.

#2 Jun 12, 2022 1:09 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Re: My encounter with said Mister Brown

Thanks to you for apologizing to save your life. Your squidgy ass would have been shot and put in a body bag! Those thugs are the worst. But he was backed by Seaga and that was why he got away with murder.

#3 Jun 12, 2022 1:14 pm

Dancer
Active

Man NH  , this is borderline on a 'Tall Tale '  ...but wtf.

'Please don't tell WSS  that story   'one on one'   ... over some wine or brandy  at the beach .
" I can hear Sparrow singing   " all is mine  '' .

#4 Jun 12, 2022 1:17 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

#5 Jun 12, 2022 1:38 pm

New Historian
Active

Yup, Epiphany, owned by Spuggy. The Patrick Baily in the photo is an old friend of mine. The the big disco in Kingston in dem days was Dizzy, in Liguanea, where you'd often see Bob, especially when he fell in love with Cindy Breakspear, Jamaica's Miss World.

In Jamaica, any strip is a dragstrip. The space between two traffic lights is a dragstrip, Mandela Highway is a dragstrip, and best of all, the road in front of Epiphany nightclub was also a dragstrip. The bragging about whose car or bike was fastest would start at the bar and, egged on by sycophants and alcohol, the issue would be settled downstairs on the street.

Every Sunday morning our dragstrips of choice were the dusty back roads in Caymanas Sugar Estate, just outside of Kingston. These single-lane farm roads were hot, dry and pot-holed but they had two enduring features: they were long and they were straight. Perfect. And on a Sunday morning they were usually deserted. Usually. Except that every that now and then, Mr. and Mrs. Churchgoer would decide to take a shortcut through the cane fields, only to come face to face with a pair of thundering motorbikes bearing down on them. I don’t know who was more shit-scared, the occupants of the car, or the bikers zooming past on either side!

D1000025.jpg

D1000037.jpg

Last edited by New Historian (Jun 12, 2022 1:41 pm)

#6 Jun 12, 2022 1:44 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

You sound as if you miss Jamaica. My sister and her American husband just came back. He loved it too.

#7 Jun 12, 2022 1:46 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

Which one is you? You and Gerry could be twins--with your shaggy hair and hippy appearance!

#8 Jun 12, 2022 1:49 pm

New Historian
Active

I love Jamaica, its vibrancy, it's spirit, but I'm glad I don't live there no more - I too ole for de stress!! Here and there are at extreme ends of the crime spectrum, and I'd find it difficult to readjust to that life. But a week or two every year: great!! And of course I've got family and nuff friends there so there's never a dull moment!

#9 Jun 12, 2022 1:54 pm

Slice
Active

Dancer wrote:

Man NH  , this is borderline on a 'Tall Tale '  ...but wtf.

'Please don't tell WSS  that story   'one on one'   ... over some wine or brandy  at the beach .
" I can hear Sparrow singing   " all is mine  '' .

Dancer you finally said something that is funny.  Now knowing NH, ah tink she must a super beauty and sexy, for NH to say all is mine.  Now remember NH traveled the world, so he knows beauties.  From my experience anyone that is boastful, and vane as WSS, you better be very very cautious.

#10 Jun 12, 2022 2:25 pm

Wide Sargasso Sea
Active

New Historian wrote:

I love Jamaica, its vibrancy, it's spirit, but I'm glad I don't live there no more - I too ole for de stress!! Here and there are at extreme ends of the crime spectrum, and I'd find it difficult to readjust to that life. But a week or two every year: great!! And of course I've got family and nuff friends there so there's never a dull moment!

Sometimes I think about moving back to the island but then I just don't know. I love Dominica. It is carefree but sometimes I love the sophistication of NYC. I would like to live in Spain for a while-- traveling Europe and staying long enough to get a grip on the place. I'm a gypsy at heart. I'll just have to make it up as life goes on.

Board footer