You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 May 09, 2017 6:31 pm

New Historian

Mekatelyu!

I'm in Costa Rica, a first, and I discovered that the (few) blacks that live here descended from 20,000 Jamaican labourers who came over a 100 or so years ago to work on the railroads. The dialect they now speak is called "Mekatelyu" - if you say it loud you'll get it lol!!

#2 May 09, 2017 6:41 pm

Real Distwalker

Re: Mekatelyu!

Can you understand them when they speak or has it diverged too far from mainstream English?

#3 May 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Calypso

New Historian wrote:

I'm in Costa Rica, a first, and I discovered that the (few) blacks that live here descended from 20,000 Jamaican labourers who came over a 100 or so years ago to work on the railroads. The dialect they now speak is called "Mekatelyu" - if you say it loud you'll get it lol!!

Are you in Limon?

#4 May 10, 2017 8:14 am

Dancer

Where the heck is Costa Rico ? I had to go to Google the refresh my geography. lol.
You mean to say talking Jamaican could be corrupted . Ah don't believe it. lmao.

#5 May 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Calypso

How sad of you not to know that Costa Rica has the largest Jamaican migrants in Latin America next to Cuba and Panama. They went there to build the railroads around 1890s and stayed there to work in the banana industry when the United Fruit Company monopolized the industry in the early parts of the nineteenth century. They did not assimilate into the culture because they spoke English and not Spanish. They had to import teachers from Jamaica to teach their children. Later, they were kept predominantly on the coast in Puerto Limon because the Costa Rican government did not want any racial mixing with blacks. They wanted to make Costa Rican maintained mostly Spanish or European blood so they banned them from going to the cities. This was good for the blacks for they maintained their blackness as well. Racial mixing is not good in some circumstances. In august, my youngest sister is taking her daughter to Limon. You should go with the wife. It is suppose to have wonderful beaches.

#6 May 11, 2017 8:34 am

Dancer

Well I can't be toooo sad about info lessening my ignorance.  My name is not History ah mean Historian. Galloping all over the place. lol.
So Costa Rica is in the mix , with Cuba and Panama. Eh ?
My mum's father , who kicked the bucket  at 90 plus did go to Panama , his brother did go to Cuba and from all accounts was never heard from again.
But Costa Rica , interesting / utube does have some news.
I will pose  'slyly' the Costa Rica question  to some JA friends to see if they are up to scratch.

btw.... they are more of you knocking around. Lord !

Board footer