You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 May 24, 2017 8:09 am

Slice
Active

NOW IF YOU BELIEVE THAT, THEN AH OWN FIVE OF THE WORLDS MOST EXPENSIV

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/ … id=DELLDHP

Oil $25. not in my life time.  That means that gas will be $1.89cents ah gallon, and that is High test.

#2 May 24, 2017 9:03 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: NOW IF YOU BELIEVE THAT, THEN AH OWN FIVE OF THE WORLDS MOST EXPENSIV

The first time I bought gas after getting my driver's licence was in 1979.  I recall that I paid $1.16 per gallon.   According to the online inflation calculator, $1.16 in 1979 is equal to $3.77 today.

Conversely, $1.89 today was equal to $0.58 in October of 1979.

If gasoline is selling for $1.89 in 2017, that may be the cheapest gasoline in US history.

Just so our English friend can eat his heart out, that is equal to £0.38 per liter.   According to Google, they are paying £1.19 per liter in the UK right now.

#3 May 24, 2017 12:42 pm

Slice
Active

Ok Expat, go ahead and have fun.  All I am going to say, that is a very interesting read, but RD that is your filed, but ah just doh see it happening.  This is like the Trump budget, highly unlikely, that there will be 3% growth and also highly unlikely, self driven cars will reduce gas prices.  I just do not Self Driven cars, will be that popular.

#4 May 24, 2017 10:37 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

The first time I bought gas after getting my driver's licence was in 1979.  I recall that I paid $1.16 per gallon.   According to the online inflation calculator, $1.16 in 1979 is equal to $3.77 today.

Conversely, $1.89 today was equal to $0.58 in October of 1979.

If gasoline is selling for $1.89 in 2017, that may be the cheapest gasoline in US history.

Just so our English friend can eat his heart out, that is equal to £0.38 per liter.   According to Google, they are paying £1.19 per liter in the UK right now.

Me, apart from 1 month a year I doh give diddly.

Me I buyin gas in a greenz.

All it illustrates is yet another example how either owning the commodity, or volume sales in the home market help to keep Americans living costs ridiculously low..... and yet they feel hard done by. Bawling about hard times.

Had they but to take the pressures felt in many other countries they would squeal like a stuck pig.

#5 May 25, 2017 7:12 am

Slice
Active

Making the argument about prices in Grenada, verses America is really difficult.  I agree at the first look,  America seems to have a very low cost of living.  Recently I bought a 1000 watts transformer in America and I paid $58.00.  In Grenada God knows the price, I think it is somewhere in the neighbor of $1000.

I am doing some work on  my house in Grenada.  The cost to paint it is very cheap as compared to if I had to do it in America.  What I am paying in Grenada is what I would pay to paint one average size room.

The electrical work in Grenada is crazy low.  If I call an electrician in America, as soon as starts his journey on his way to my house, I have to start paying.  A plumber is almost the same, you do not pay the plumber for his journey, but there is minimum of $250.00, even before they start.

I would say, it is wash  between Grenada and America.

#6 May 25, 2017 9:31 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

...and yet they feel hard done by. Bawling about hard times. Had they but to take the pressures felt in many other countries they would squeal like a stuck pig.

I agree.  By historical and world standards, living is easy in America.  It is the land of milk and honey compared to most of human history.  You wouldn't know it, however, if you listed to the pissing and moaning of the people.  It is pretty pathetic.

#7 May 25, 2017 9:35 am

Real Distwalker
Active

Slice wrote:

If I call an electrician in America, as soon as starts his journey on his way to my house, I have to start paying.  A plumber is almost the same, you do not pay the plumber for his journey, but there is minimum of $250.00, even before they start,

The cost of labor in the US is very high.  The cost of goods and commodities is shockingly low.   Learn to do your own work and you will be rolling in the dough. 

Like they say, women like handymen as much as handsome men. 

Fortunately, I am both. smile

#8 May 25, 2017 9:36 am

Real Distwalker
Active

We aren't even at $25 oil and the cost of gasoline around here is $2.14 a gallon.   That is hella cheap.

#9 May 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Slice wrote:

If I call an electrician in America, as soon as starts his journey on his way to my house, I have to start paying.  A plumber is almost the same, you do not pay the plumber for his journey, but there is minimum of $250.00, even before they start,

The cost of labor in the US is very high.  The cost of goods and commodities is shockingly low.   Learn to do your own work and you will be rolling in the dough. 

Like they say, women like handymen as much as handsome men. 

Fortunately, I am both. smile

I pay for everything.  I painted my basement once and wife had about ah million complains, and that was it.  I do get ah break on my simple car work, like brakes and little stuff.  Things I know my mechanic can handle without messing up.  Don't let him touch my Jag.

Two painters did my Upstairs, they change ah arm and ah leg. I am not handy, so ah have to pay for everything.  Plus ah can't take the complains when ah try to do something and it doh look good.  Let her fuss with the contractor.

#10 May 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

I am getting new shingles this summer.  There is no frickin' way I am doing that.  I did that work one summer in my 20s during college.  That backbreaking experience made me buckle down on my studies the very next semester.

Still, I like to do electrical work, auto mechanic work, carpentry. plumbing and so forth.  Never going to roof again.  Let them Mexicans do it.

Board footer