You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 May 30, 2017 2:22 pm

New Historian
Active

If the Manchester bombing had happened in the USA.....

Think about it.....


NHS.jpg

Offline

#2 May 30, 2017 2:37 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: If the Manchester bombing had happened in the USA.....

We have something in the US called "insurance" to cover that.  It is basically identical to what they have in Britain except in Britain they call it "taxes".  In either case, they take money from you over time and then pay your medical bills later if needed.

Now, I will admit that "insurance" requires a bit more patient responsibility than "taxes" as "taxes" are collected involuntarily.

Offline

#3 May 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: If the Manchester bombing had happened in the USA.....

Here are the choices for any health care system.

1. It can be good healthcare and not of poor quality
2. It can be fast and not involve rationing
3. It can be low cost and not expensive.

Choose two.  Getting all three isn't possible.

Offline

#4 May 30, 2017 3:19 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: If the Manchester bombing had happened in the USA.....

You forgot to add an important ingredient to the US system: lawyers. The fear of malpractice results in health care providers going overboard on useless tests for that 1 in 10 million chance. Yes on the edges the UK system involves rationing, but not for the core medical services.

Offline

#5 May 30, 2017 3:30 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: If the Manchester bombing had happened in the USA.....

Yeah, the lawfare in the US is definitely a problem.

The US system has all kinds of problems if you are poor.  I can't argue that. 

For those of us who can afford it, however, it is the best in the world, bar none.  That's what makes reform difficult.   About 75% of Americans are happy with the system.  The other 25% are very, very unhappy.

It's not like medicine in the US is flawed.  Just the means of paying for it.    The American choice, to date, has been #1 and #2.

Offline

#6 May 30, 2017 3:33 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: If the Manchester bombing had happened in the USA.....

New Historian wrote:

Yes on the edges the UK system involves rationing, but not for the core medical services.

In fairness, all systems have rationing.  Medical care, like almost everything, involves economic scarcity.  In the US, it is rationed like other products: Price elasticity of demand and ability to pay.   In the UK, it is rationed differently.  Rationing boards I imagine.

Offline

#7 May 30, 2017 3:51 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: If the Manchester bombing had happened in the USA.....

"In the UK, it is rationed differently.  Rationing boards I imagine."

Not rationing boards: medical boards. Who better but doctors to decide on what can wait and what can't, and who better than them to know the economic realities of the NHS? Having had 2 excellent experiences of family members being saved by the NHS, without costing them a dime, it gets my vote, any day.

Offline

#8 May 30, 2017 3:58 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: If the Manchester bombing had happened in the USA.....

New Historian wrote:

Having had 2 excellent experiences of family members being saved by the NHS, without costing them a dime, it gets my vote, any day.

I am glad you are happy with the system but you are an educated man.  You know as well as I that there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Offline

#9 May 30, 2017 4:05 pm

New Historian
Active

Re: If the Manchester bombing had happened in the USA.....

It ain't free, that's why we pay taxes. Rather that any day than thieving insurance companies and grasping lawyers chasing my ambulance lol.

Anyway who says I be ejumacated?

Offline

#10 May 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: If the Manchester bombing had happened in the USA.....

New Historian wrote:

Anyway who says I be ejumacated?

I am guessing they don't send high school dropouts on UN missions to Africa. :-)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB