You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jun 02, 2017 6:30 pm

houston

Wind Power

Can't believe the amount of agricultural land here that has been infested with wind turbines. They are everywhere and it seems most of them are not turning on a breezy day.
Hydro bills in Ontario remain among the highest in the world.
Each turbine consists of 800 tons of steel. The coal burning industry loves that contract. The bats don't.
Bats are being wiped out by these green energy turbines and therefore lots of mosquito and other insect bites earlier each year.
I don't mind the look of them on the horizon, but holly cow, the damage they have done.
They have made enemies of families that have been neighbours for generations.
Clear pathways that cut directly through prime land for the regular maintenance of each turbine is valuable. The land owner gets paid about $35,000 per year for each turbine and the Liberals continue to pat them selves on the back while they rape the tax payer.

#2 Jun 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Real Distwalker

Re: Wind Power

Iowa gets almost 40 percent of its energy from the things.  There are whole forests of them besmirching the landscape.  If a coal fired plant killed 1% of the birds and bats these things killed, the environmentalists would be ready for war.  As it is, not a peep from them.

#3 Jun 02, 2017 11:08 pm

New Historian

Houston and RD I think you're being a bit harsh on windmills. Yes they take some getting used to but at least they are tall, sort of graceful, slowly turning, kind of ... hypnotic?

Am I hooked?

#4 Jun 03, 2017 11:29 am

Real Distwalker

I was good with them at first but they literally go on for miles in Iowa.  Iowa gets more energy from wind than any state and I am proud of that but there has to be a limit, right?  I mean some places it seems like you are surrounded by them for miles in every direction.

I don't oppose them but, as in all things, there must be some kind of moderation.

#5 Jun 03, 2017 3:27 pm

houston

Yes, I agree that they are majestic structures. Kind of interesting how the wave of the future began to blend in with the landscape about ten years ago. Today they sprout up like mushrooms over night. Do a 360 and it's like wow! That wasn't there a year ago?
They are devaluing the property of rural folks that have to relocate because they can't stand the constant whooshing drone sound.
At one time there was talk of placing them just off shore in the waters of the Great Lakes. Lovely view that would be.
Funny how the big city consumers never talk of placing them on the water fronts of Toronto or the windy city of Chicago.
Out of sight, out of mind. Press button one for lights, button two for that perfect temperature.

#6 Jun 03, 2017 3:48 pm

houston

Oh yeah, button three activates the bidet.

#7 Jun 04, 2017 7:15 am

Slice

Real Distwalker wrote:

I was good with them at first but they literally go on for miles in Iowa.  Iowa gets more energy from wind than any state and I am proud of that but there has to be a limit, right?  I mean some places it seems like you are surrounded by them for miles in every direction.

I don't oppose them but, as in all things, there must be some kind of moderation.

Are they noisy?  Never been close to a Wind Farm.

I must wonder, how is your state dealing with Trump removal from the Paris deal?

#8 Jun 04, 2017 8:44 am

Real Distwalker

They make a deep, low humming sound.  Unless you are among them, you don't really hear them.  Even if you are among them, it isn't a bothersome sound. It isn't particularly loud.  You can hold a conversation standing under one at a normal volume.   I am told, however, that if you live among them the sound gets to you after a while.  Some say it causes migraine headaches and such.

So far, nothing has changed. Iowans don't talk politics much.  Rude...

#9 Jun 04, 2017 9:01 am

New Historian

There's no free lunch, and there's no impact-free energy. Either it's killing the planet with oil or we live with the side effects of renewables. Solar is great but that too has its drawbacks: long-term placement of solar panels stops light from reaching the soil underneath, effectively killing it. The least impactful renewable source is hydro -so long as you didn't used to live where the lake is.

#10 Jun 04, 2017 9:21 am

Real Distwalker

I guess that free lunch thing is my only point.  Some people act like there is no downside to wind power but, as in everything, there are trade offs. 

That said, I support wind power.  I really do.  It just isn't a free lunch.

As for hydro, there are those who demand that no new dams be built and those that are built be removed.

51wYFTPQztL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Board footer