You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jun 17, 2017 1:26 am

Calypso

SHOULD GRENADA REMEBER THE DAYS OF SLAVERY?

https://www.thecaribbeanradio.com/grena … ent-event/

What a blasted, stupid thing to do? Re-enacting scenes from slavery for spectators--tourists and students-- to see what conditions were like in those days. Have you Grees gone mad? The Caribbean islands have a history of slavery and the degradation it brought to black lives. It shattered families and robbed us of our pride, our humanness. Why would you reenact such an acrimonious past on your island? It could always be visualized. Being enslaved is not something we should forget but we should remember what it did to millions of blacks and fight very hard not to let it happen--in any form again.  Think with your head before you do stupid things!

#2 Jun 17, 2017 6:48 am

Slice

Re: SHOULD GRENADA REMEBER THE DAYS OF SLAVERY?

We have ah bunch to be thankful because of Slavery.  Doh get me wrong, slavery was brutal and also very inhuman, but there were also  some blessings.

#3 Jun 17, 2017 8:55 am

Calypso

Slice wrote:

We have ah bunch to be thankful because of Slavery.  Doh get me wrong, slavery was brutal and also very inhuman, but there were also  some blessings.

Slavery was brutal. It also enlightened Africans to European ways and enabled them to acquire and develop necessities to compete in a global atmosphere. The journey it took was deprecating and inhumane. It taught us that the white man was indeed the savage and not the Africans. You witnessed this when they would cut the baby from the stomach of a pregnant slave woman or rubbed pepper in her crotch and bottom. Even when they would decapitate the men to prevent them from running away or if they ran away and were caught. Why would a culture reenact scenes from slavery? it is nothing to be proud of.

#4 Jun 17, 2017 3:51 pm

Slice

You do know. that because of Slavery, you are in the position, you are now.  You also do know that if slavery was not, you might of not been born.

Now Slavery was very brutal, but I choose to see the good side of slavery.  Kaiso, it is very difficult to see my argument, and really ah doh expect you to see it.

#5 Jun 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Calypso

Slice wrote:

You do know. that because of Slavery, you are in the position, you are now.  You also do know that if slavery was not, you might of not been born.

Now Slavery was very brutal, but I choose to see the good side of slavery.  Kaiso, it is very difficult to see my argument, and really ah doh expect you to see it.

I am talking about the reenactment of slavery in Grenada. PLEASE  DO NOT GET OFF THE TOPIC!

#6 Jun 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Expat

Calypso wrote:
Slice wrote:

Slavery was brutal. It also enlightened Africans to European ways and enabled them to acquire and develop necessities to compete in a global atmosphere. The journey it took was deprecating and inhumane. It taught us that the white man was indeed the savage and not the Africans. You witnessed this when they would cut the baby from the stomach of a pregnant slave woman or rubbed pepper in her crotch and bottom. Even when they would decapitate the men to prevent them from running away or if they ran away and were caught. Why would a culture reenact scenes from slavery? it is nothing to be proud of.

I suppose I could leave this thread alone, and I probably should especially when I am going to be flippant and make light of what is a really serious subject, but I am afaraid your decapitate remark had me curling up... You certainly cant run far once they chop off your head....    I think you meant hobble, which was the cruel way they stopped runnaways by amputating part of their foot.

Also while we are venting on the Europeans, let us not forget who sold those slaves into their hands. Apart for the continued cruelty which must have occurred to greater and lesser amounts in the various places that those poor souls arrived, the chief discriminator between the Africans, and Arabs that were the initial Slavers, and the Europeans is that the Europeans industrialised the process. Making it much more efficient, enabling greater quantities of human cargo to be removed from the motherland, But, the traders, and generally the enslavers were who?

Another point to grasp is that whilst the conditions during shipping, before and afterwards were appalling, whilst at sea the crew were much more disposable than the cargo.The cargo had value, the crew were just another necessary expense. If food ran low the crew got tipped over the side before the slaves.

Finally to get to your point. I really agree with you, that I don't think it is the brightest idea they have had. especially when it comes to a running commentary explaining that here comes the poor old slave exhausted after toiling all day in the Sun while Johnny White Massa looks on.

It could be argued that it paints a picture for local children, but once over the age of 10 they would have to be pretty stupid not to know what a hard days work in the Sun is all about as probably many of their parents do the same thing, just not so hard and not for all the day. I can see the potential for an unnecessary burgeoning of anti White in the youth, who might find it hard to separate the past from the present.

The tourist on the other hand, are more likely to be made to feel uncomfortable and would have to be pretty thick or thoughtless not to be able to picture the misery suffered by early Grenadians. You don't go on holiday to be made to feel guilty for the sins of generations past.

#7 Jun 18, 2017 12:46 am

Calypso

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:
Slice wrote:

I suppose I could leave this thread alone, and I probably should especially when I am going to be flippant and make light of what is a really serious subject, but I am afaraid your decapitate remark had me curling up... You certainly cant run far once they chop off your head....    I think you meant hobble, which was the cruel way they stopped runnaways by amputating part of their foot.

Also while we are venting on the Europeans, let us not forget who sold those slaves into their hands. Apart for the continued cruelty which must have occurred to greater and lesser amounts in the various places that those poor souls arrived, the chief discriminator between the Africans, and Arabs that were the initial Slavers, and the Europeans is that the Europeans industrialised the process. Making it much more efficient, enabling greater quantities of human cargo to be removed from the motherland, But, the traders, and generally the enslavers were who?

Another point to grasp is that whilst the conditions during shipping, before and afterwards were appalling, whilst at sea the crew were much more disposable than the cargo.The cargo had value, the crew were just another necessary expense. If food ran low the crew got tipped over the side before the slaves.

Finally to get to your point. I really agree with you, that I don't think it is the brightest idea they have had. especially when it comes to a running commentary explaining that here comes the poor old slave exhausted after toiling all day in the Sun while Johnny White Massa looks on.

It could be argued that it paints a picture for local children, but once over the age of 10 they would have to be pretty stupid not to know what a hard days work in the Sun is all about as probably many of their parents do the same thing, just not so hard and not for all the day. I can see the potential for an unnecessary burgeoning of anti White in the youth, who might find it hard to separate the past from the present.

The tourist on the other hand, are more likely to be made to feel uncomfortable and would have to be pretty thick or thoughtless not to be able to picture the misery suffered by early Grenadians. You don't go on holiday to be made to feel guilty for the sins of generations past.

Arab Slavery was not has brutal as the type instituted by the Europeans. In Arab slavery, the illegitimate child by the African slave woman inherited the father's name and property. is born free. In European slavery, the child was seen as a  ni@ger! The child worked the plantation just like the mother and was sold to anther plantation just like the mother.  I have always wanted to know that if blacks were considered non-human, how could you sleep with something that is not human. YOU MUST BE A DAMNED  ANIMAL YOURSELF!ANIMAL TO HAVE SEX WITH SOMEONE YOU THINK IS NOT HUMAN. After the saga Roots was aired, many blacks wanted to go out and killed the whites because the vivid depiction of the incidents the lives of slaves aroused many negative feelings. We will always have slavery in our past for we cannot change the course of history but we should keep it there, and d on reenact it as for entertainment for children to see!.

#8 Jun 18, 2017 8:32 am

Slice

Expat and Kaiso, Yep ah know I help start the discussion, but ah reserving me reply for tomorrow.  I am going to be ah king today and ah go enjoy it.

#9 Jun 19, 2017 10:17 am

Slice

For fear of getting in trouble ah leaving this trend alone.  Ah friad this trend as cat fraid Holy water.

#10 Jun 19, 2017 8:41 pm

Calypso

https://americandreamclass.files.wordpr … titled.png

If you saw a vulnerable child standing by the wayside crying and you were in a position to help her, would you violate her and take away her dignity and self-respect? I have been in this situation a zillion times and each time a made the best moral judgement. Europeans didn't. Ignorance among the African tribes  raped and divided them. The Europeans professed to be a superior nation so they should have showed the Africans they folly. They showed them that Christianity  was better than worshiping many false gods, didn't they?  Why not teach them that humans should not be sold as slaves!

Board footer