You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Jun 25, 2017 1:45 pm

Expat
Active

Re: SHOULD GRENADA REMEBER THE DAYS OF SLAVERY?

Calypso wrote:

https://americandreamclass.files.wordpr … titled.png

If you saw a vulnerable child standing by the wayside crying and you were in a position to help her, would you violate her and take away her dignity and self-respect? I have been in this situation a zillion times and each time a made the best moral judgement. Europeans didn't. Ignorance among the African tribes  raped and divided them. The Europeans professed to be a superior nation so they should have showed the Africans they folly. They showed them that Christianity  was better than worshiping many false gods, didn't they?  Why not teach them that humans should not be sold as slaves!

Wow, you have really been busy to save all those vulnerable children.

Too bad your forefathers didn't. Had there not been an established slave market the Europeans would not have been able to utilise it. Just accept Africans were complicit, and just as guilty of selling on other tribes, and I seem to recall a travelogue with a Black guy researching his forebears who figured out the tribes on the coast quite happily sold off people from their own tribe who lived much further into the interior, as they weren't "direct family".

No one is denying the whole thing was a shitty business, just accept it wasn't just the damned Europeans and you will be able to have less fitful sleep.

#12 Jun 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Calypso
Active

You missed my argument. The Europeans have argued that they are 'superior' so they should have taught the Africans that selling each is a lucrative business but it is inhumane. Instead they went along with it because they are more beastly that the 'savages' they thought he Africans were.

#13 Jun 25, 2017 3:04 pm

houston
Active

The Chieftain pimps that sold their own probably had no choice but to bargain for the best price or the savage traders would be taking the priced stock for free. Of course the Europeans were the real savages of the time. They had superior structure and development but certainly not superior in mentality, ethics, morals. Nor did they have any comprehension of humanity.

#14 Jun 25, 2017 3:38 pm

houston
Active

Strange that anyone could live in a big estate mansion surrounded with luxury and think that they were superior while treating other people with less humanity than they would treat an animal.
Money and fancy clothing can't cover up underdeveloped brains.

#15 Jun 25, 2017 4:01 pm

houston
Active

No doubt, the Chiefs would have been in chains too, but they had better value as a guide for the savage Euros. They too had to think of their own survival.

#16 Jun 25, 2017 4:13 pm

houston
Active

Expat wrote:
Calypso wrote:

https://americandreamclass.files.wordpr … titled.png

If you saw a vulnerable child standing by the wayside crying and you were in a position to help her, would you violate her and take away her dignity and self-respect? I have been in this situation a zillion times and each time a made the best moral judgement. Europeans didn't. Ignorance among the African tribes  raped and divided them. The Europeans professed to be a superior nation so they should have showed the Africans they folly. They showed them that Christianity  was better than worshiping many false gods, didn't they?  Why not teach them that humans should not be sold as slaves!

Wow, you have really been busy to save all those vulnerable children.

Too bad your forefathers didn't. Had there not been an established slave market the Europeans would not have been able to utilise it. Just accept Africans were complicit, and just as guilty of selling on other tribes, and I seem to recall a travelogue with a Black guy researching his forebears who figured out the tribes on the coast quite happily sold off people from their own tribe who lived much further into the interior, as they weren't "direct family".

No one is denying the whole thing was a shitty business, just accept it wasn't just the damned Europeans and you will be able to have less fitful sleep.

#17 Jun 25, 2017 4:18 pm

houston
Active

Expat, are you saying that if there was not a for sale sign posted there would be no buyers and the shitty business would not have occurred ?

#18 Jun 25, 2017 6:32 pm

Silkee
Active

My ancestor Scottish slave owner was probably brutal,greedy and a rapist.So were his descendent sons who took over the estates.My grandmother had 6 children with one of those descendents.He impregnated many black women and rode around on his tall horse wearing riding boots. We all debate if this was a relationship,if she had 6 kids.No one asked nor was told.I met a Scottish relative who was looking for info amd did mot want to accept that her family had slaves and children with them..He gave my grandmother  land  near the estate. Eventually left Grenada for The US with my mother and one son.They grew up here.There were some  of his relatives here.There was a family business in shipping.This Scottish slave owning
Ancestory is a part of life and my life.Do I need to know details about the brutality? Yes and no,but I think
The legacy  good and bad needs to be told in a way that people can feel it.

#19 Jun 25, 2017 9:44 pm

houston
Active

No one today should be held accountable for actions of forefathers in the past. We all deal with enough in the present.
What bothers me is the lack of acknowledgment for sins past. History can not be changed as easily as some would like to do so.

#20 Jun 26, 2017 1:08 pm

Expat
Active

Silkee wrote:

My ancestor Scottish slave owner was probably brutal,greedy and a rapist.So were his descendent sons who took over the estates.My grandmother had 6 children with one of those descendents.He impregnated many black women and rode around on his tall horse wearing riding boots. We all debate if this was a relationship,if she had 6 kids.No one asked nor was told.I met a Scottish relative who was looking for info amd did mot want to accept that her family had slaves and children with them..He gave my grandmother  land  near the estate. Eventually left Grenada for The US with my mother and one son.They grew up here.There were some  of his relatives here.There was a family business in shipping.This Scottish slave owning
Ancestory is a part of life and my life.Do I need to know details about the brutality? Yes and no,but I think
The legacy  good and bad needs to be told in a way that people can feel it.

One really has to wonder how old you are, as slavery was abolished in Grenada in 1834 and ended completely in 1838. Now I know characters in the Bible had children when they were probably 100 and sumpting, but normal humans usually end reproduction in their 40's. How the backside do you get to have a grandmother who was alive when slavery ended?

Board footer