You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jun 19, 2017 3:02 pm

New Historian
Active

Excerpts from my grandfather's diary 1950, the year Gairy returned

Wed 15th Feb: I went to the court house and heard the case of a woman called Say-Say. The jury brought a verdict of guilty in her. The Judge pronounced the death sentence on her. I came home in Gibbs’ bus. The above is called “The Mango Poisoning Case”. I sent a letter to Ireland with 10/- to Dublin.

Wed 8th Mar: I went to St. David’s and summon Gordon, on my return home I passed at Ramsinette who is sick, I gave her 2/-. I walked from St. David’s to Tom Squires house, a truck gave me a lift to Laura road, I walked again to Howard’s house where a bus took me to home, I paid 3d. Laurina quarrelled with me for doing so much walking.

Sun 19th Mar: I attended the Christening of St. Paul’s Church. Never in my life have I seen such a concourse of people, cars and busses lined from the Anglican Church, passed Roxburgh to the Roebuck’s road. I took photos in my camera.

Mon 10th Apr: Two boys drowned in Westerhall bog, one is called John, a brother of Evrice, another is a son of Dolphon Gulston, the body of Dani is found but the body of John is not found. But the body was not found the same day, it was on the 2nd day it was found.

Tues 2nd May: I attended a meeting in St. David’s on the subject of the Nutmeg Producers’ Protective League, it was well attended. I obtained very strong applause by the people for my brilliant speech.

Mon 15th May: The girl who killed the child and put it under Pinky Jumps’ house is said to be pretending insane in the hospital. Dr. Page wrote me a letter asking me to buy his refrigerator for £80. I said I can’t buy such an expensive one.

Wed 30th Aug: As the result of a serious strike by one Gairy who is said to be a leader of an organization called “The People’s Party”, the strikers killed S. A. Francis’ cow, took away its two hind legs and left the body on the ground. S. A. Francis is the owner of the cow, he was prevented from taking away the body, his life was also threatened by the rioters who are entering people’s property and take whatever they want. One woman and two men are arrested for cocoanuts they took away without any permission.

Fri 1st Sept: Rain fell almost all night and part of the morning. Mr. Rex Worme(?) called here today, he left his house in fear of the Riot by the strikers. They burned a tractor and a copra house at Woodlands last night (Wednesday).

#2 Jun 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Re: Excerpts from my grandfather's diary 1950, the year Gairy returned

Living in 'interesting times' isn't necessarily a blessing, is it?

#3 Jun 19, 2017 8:28 pm

New Historian
Active

That's what I used to say living in Zimbabwe!

#4 Jun 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Silkee
Active

Looks like the craziness of life isnt just the 21 century!

#5 Jun 20, 2017 7:05 am

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

Wed 15th Feb: I went to the court house and heard the case of a woman called Say-Say. The jury brought a verdict of guilty in her. The Judge pronounced the death sentence on her. I came home in Gibbs’ bus. The above is called “The Mango Poisoning Case”. I sent a letter to Ireland with 10/- to Dublin.

Wed 8th Mar: I went to St. David’s and summon Gordon, on my return home I passed at Ramsinette who is sick, I gave her 2/-. I walked from St. David’s to Tom Squires house, a truck gave me a lift to Laura road, I walked again to Howard’s house where a bus took me to home, I paid 3d. Laurina quarrelled with me for doing so much walking.

Sun 19th Mar: I attended the Christening of St. Paul’s Church. Never in my life have I seen such a concourse of people, cars and busses lined from the Anglican Church, passed Roxburgh to the Roebuck’s road. I took photos in my camera.

Mon 10th Apr: Two boys drowned in Westerhall bog, one is called John, a brother of Evrice, another is a son of Dolphon Gulston, the body of Dani is found but the body of John is not found. But the body was not found the same day, it was on the 2nd day it was found.

Tues 2nd May: I attended a meeting in St. David’s on the subject of the Nutmeg Producers’ Protective League, it was well attended. I obtained very strong applause by the people for my brilliant speech.

Mon 15th May: The girl who killed the child and put it under Pinky Jumps’ house is said to be pretending insane in the hospital. Dr. Page wrote me a letter asking me to buy his refrigerator for £80. I said I can’t buy such an expensive one.

Wed 30th Aug: As the result of a serious strike by one Gairy who is said to be a leader of an organization called “The People’s Party”, the strikers killed S. A. Francis’ cow, took away its two hind legs and left the body on the ground. S. A. Francis is the owner of the cow, he was prevented from taking away the body, his life was also threatened by the rioters who are entering people’s property and take whatever they want. One woman and two men are arrested for cocoanuts they took away without any permission.

Fri 1st Sept: Rain fell almost all night and part of the morning. Mr. Rex Worme(?) called here today, he left his house in fear of the Riot by the strikers. They burned a tractor and a copra house at Woodlands last night (Wednesday).

Hist, very interesting stuff, post more from you grandpupa.  Could you tell us your Grandfather last name?  Maybe I know his family, it seems he was from my area.  Now you make me miss the Mayor of St Davids.  What the hell was his handle again?  I think it was St Davids.

Last edited by Slice (Jun 20, 2017 7:08 am)

Board footer