You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jun 21, 2017 9:10 am

Antiquarian

DNA Search

Hey, goin out on a limb: has anyone ran their DNA here? I am really interested to know what percent was your Native American (and if mtDNA or yDNA was native). There is some debate about how long they persisted in Grenada after ~1651. Some say there was a reservation near Black Forest (cannot find anything official), so would be especially interested if people up there showed higher percent.

There are a few genetics papers that mention GND, but the sample sizes are very small:

http://doi.wiley.com/10.1111/j.1469-1809.2007.00380.x
http://doi.org/10.1002/ajpa.22261
http://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0139192

The average for someone living in the Windwards, overall, seems to be 77% West African, 15% European, and 7.7% Native American. Obviously, some communities would be very different (e.g., Mt. Moritz), but would like to see the data.

#2 Jun 21, 2017 10:00 am

Slice

Re: DNA Search

I was seriously thinking about doing it, but from what I heard, the science is not perfect just yet. Maybe in a year or two will do it.

#3 Jun 21, 2017 12:22 pm

Antiquarian

Hah, that's true. I ran mine with 23andMe, but I'm a Grenadianized-American so no Amerindian in me smile  FamilyTree is really good, too, and they offer much more advanced products than other companies. AncestryDNA is another one.

Science is always progressing, of course, so there will always be something else on the horizon. But one thing I recommend is downloading your "genome" (it's not the full thing-- just SNPs), so you have it for the future. I'd also highly recommend uploading it to Promethease, which will give you tons of health/medical indicators. The international version of 23andMe does this, too, but it's $150. Promethease is $5 and super interesting: http://www.promethease.com/

Also, this org is a good source of information: http://www.isogg.org/

#4 Jun 21, 2017 7:47 pm

New Historian

My daughter, an obsessive techno-geek bless her cotton socks lol, got one of those DNA mapping things; surprise surprise: she's a complete racial mix-up mix-up, just like the rest of us lol!!

#5 Jun 21, 2017 8:28 pm

houston

A shocker, all this time I thought we were all pedigreed purebreds?

#6 Jun 22, 2017 7:33 am

Slice

I am prepared for anything.  I was warned by a professor in UWI from Jamaica, that we Caribbean folks are a total callalloo.  So I am prepared for anything.

#7 Jun 22, 2017 8:59 am

Real Distwalker

My blonde haired, blue eyed, pale skinned wife got it as a gift.  Her results are back: 0.1% sub-Saharan African. smile

That means she likely had a nearly 100 percent black ancestor sometime in the early 1700s. 

Everybody is mixed up to some degree.  I am think I will get it done too.  I have traced all of my ancestors to Europe.  It wasn't hard since they all were born there or in Iowa.  I wonder what will be revealed.

Last edited by Real Distwalker (Jun 22, 2017 9:01 am)

#8 Jun 22, 2017 4:46 pm

Expat

Mr RD, the hypothesis that we all came out of Africa is changing.  Apparently some teeth and stuff from some humanoid group has been found somewhere in Europe... sorry, my addled brain forgets... which pre dates the emergence of peoples from Africa. I didn't post it a few weeks back when it was released as just for once I decided not to jook the nest. As obviously it would be seen as "Oh yes, here the Europeans go, stealing even that from us".

But it really was raised as a possibility, so maybe a new theory will come out that we all went into Africa to get a Sun tan before we figured it was too hot and headed back out for colder climes.

It's a good thing you weren't living is South Africa a few years back, otherwise you would have had to get a divorce due to her being Black. But... then again I bet you will find you are .1% or greater too.

Considering we are all supposed to be connected by something like 7 jumps, anything is possible.

Last edited by Expat (Jun 22, 2017 4:47 pm)

#9 Jun 22, 2017 5:01 pm

Real Distwalker

Expat: That finding just pushed back the date from which human ancestors emerged from Africa.  It doesn't change the understanding that all humans have African ancestors.  Previously, it was theorized that the proto-humans that left Africa prior to about 70,000 years ago were dead-end species.  Like a. robustus, a.boisei etc.  These species came out of Africa tens of thousands of years ago but they died off.  They are not the ancestors of modern humans.

Prior to the finding you mentioned, it was understood that the ancestors of all modern humans were still in Africa prior to about 70,000 years ago.  Now they found some fossils of modern human near Romania that are older than that.  Perhaps modern humans left Africa earlier than supposed.

None of this precludes the fact that australopithecus afarensis still understood to be the ancestor of all humanity and is only known to have existed in Africa.

Frankly, Africa was like a pump.  Every 50,000 years or so it pumped species out into the world.  Some proto-human species were dead end species.  Some left Africa and returned to crossbreed with humans that didn't leave.

It is all very complex.  The point is, however, that if you go back far enough, all human ancestors were in Africa.

#10 Jun 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Expat

Me, I just sold it how it came out of the wrapper...I wouldn't argue the point (for once) as I know I am only passing on what was a sketchy hypothesis, and was different to that laid out by you. What you say could very easily be completely true. Then again, as it was presented as a fill in news segment, maybe it was poorly represented.

Board footer