You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Jun 23, 2017 2:29 am

Vanni

Re: DNA Search

Expat wrote:

Mr RD, the hypothesis that we all came out of Africa is changing ...

I saw a documentary about Homo Floresiensis: they came to the conclusion that the African route for the rest of the world population was not accurate, and thus that, most likely, Asians - and maybe Europeans too - did not come from Africa.

There will soon be more precise science available than mere deduction from our human vantage point.

Last edited by Vanni (Jun 23, 2017 2:30 am)

#12 Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm

Silkee

On the Family Tree DNA  site ,theyhave your ancient origins,if your test was family finder.You can be a hunter gather etc,over thousands of years. Also I have pictures of a few paintings done of some of my Scottish ancestors.
These two aristocrats were a part of Grenadas' colonial past.I choose not to give names. They produced children with my black ancestors. How do I post them to this site?

Last edited by Silkee (Jun 23, 2017 1:55 pm)

#13 Jun 23, 2017 10:31 pm

Vanni

I cannot remember where I have this from:

anyone can confirm that Grenadians are mostly from Ghanaian and Nigerian ancestry? Also heard that Haiti has ancestry from Congo, for example.

Still, in our world with the presently leading mentality, I am suspicious about giving away my DNA, though I expect that with all the medical blood samples, there are other ways to get to our DNA than straightforward tests.

#14 Jun 24, 2017 7:41 am

Slice

Vanni, I am not sure about that, I think it is far more complicated than that.

I am betting when ah do me DNA test, there will be huge surprise for me.  I know there is African in me.  I know there is also Portuguese and white.

Here is what really make me fraid, It seems my family was actually Slave owners and that is very scary.

#15 Jun 24, 2017 10:25 am

Silkee

There is family myth,secrets and truth. Even the European counties your family believe you hail from,can be
wrong. Borders and migrations always changed. Even in Africa,there were invasions between tribes. I am more interested in finding out things about my family that are imposdible to know. Consentual vs forced,for instance.

#16 Jun 24, 2017 11:16 am

Antiquarian

Yeah, for me the surprises are the most interesting part. The story of humanity is absolutely heart-wrenching. All of us have ancestors that were cowardly, angry, evil people, just like all of us have ancestors that were courageously good people. So it goes.

For me, the surprise was 4% Ashkenazi Jewish. When my dad ran his, he had ~16%. Turns out his great-grandmother was probably Ashkenazi. But the medical stuff is more than interesting-- it's actually useful. Knowing my risk of Parkinson's, for instance, was well worth the money.

And another major hominid find in the news recently was the one from Morocco. Here's the official press release:
http://www.nature.com/news/oldest-homo- … ry-1.22114

Oh, but to bring it back to the original question again-- has anyone confirmed Amerindian heritage here?

#17 Jun 24, 2017 11:19 am

Silkee

There is information as to which African countries certain estates' slaves hailed from.I have seen it but cannot remember where. Some  Grenadians do have that family history information. Carriacou  is a place where they celebrate their Yoruba culture.

#18 Jun 24, 2017 11:26 am

Silkee

Slice,what are you afraid of? Your ancestors were a part of another world and history.That has no bearing on you as a human being. The things my own did are reprehensible. From father to son. That was a part of that society.
Greed,cruelty,competition. Thats what the British  Empire was all about.They conqured the world. I am glad I researched and found out. I say,go for it.Remeber your Y DNA only shows your male line. Autosomal is better.

#19 Jun 24, 2017 2:28 pm

Slice

So if you found out, your fore parents own slaves, won't you be ah bit concern?  I would say,once the expert say, they got this thing down and the Science is now reliable, ah going for it.

#20 Jun 24, 2017 6:41 pm

digitaldiva2013

My father is from Grenada and I ran my DNA on Ancestry DNA, I really wish more people from Grenada would do their DNA info it will help so many others that have the ancestry. If your interested I have a discount link for 10% off http://refer.dna.ancestry.com/s/michellemitchell

There is a great site called GEDMATCH that has a collection of people who have taken the DNA test from Ancestry , 23andme, African DNA and MyHeritage that have uploaded all there dna data , you can put your info up under a alias but its great when looking for family as well as your ancestry break down. GEDMATCH.com  you can exchange kit numbers with others and compare if their a relative connection you can see how to do that via

I found out regarding myself that my Ancestry breakdown is as follows:

Africa 93%

Benin/Togo 33%
Nigeria 28%
Cameroon/Congo 14%
Ivory Coast/Ghana 9%
Senegal 8%

Europe 7%

Great Britain 4%
Finland/Northwest Russia 2%
European Jewish < 1%
Show All Regions