You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jun 27, 2017 3:57 pm

New Historian
Active

The Corrupt, the Corruptors and the Carpet Sweepers

You can easily tell how corrupt a country is: just get stopped for speeding - if the cop will take a bribe chances are the Prime Minister will too. A bit harsh? Perhaps, but corruption tends to be endemic: if he’s stealing I’d better hurry up and steal too before it’s all gone. And so the contagion spreads. And don’t for one moment believe that corruption is restricted to politicians and government bureaucrats – far from it. It takes two to thief, and you would be amazed how comfortable the private sector can become with small and large acts of “facilitation”. I’ve had a major contractor tell me:

“We like corruption, it takes away the uncertainty.”

He wasn’t confessing his sins, he was boasting his prowess, in “knowing how things are done” in the third world. There are two types of corruption: first there is the blatant, illegal out-and-out stealing kind of corruption - the paying of bribes that people occasionally got to jail for. The second, far more insidious kind is institutional corruption – the kind people never go to jail for. These are the subtle, invisible methods that powerful people use to influence decisions to go their way in business deals.

When Senegal is privatizing its telecommunications company and the French government takes leading Senegalese politicians and bureaucrats on a “fact-finding tour” of France, paying handsome per diems along the way – is that corruption? Or is that just encouraging French business interests abroad? When Cameroon is privatizing its airline and an American firm uses its Embassy to circumvent the approved process and make an end-run to the finish line – is that corruption, or is that just Americans being Americans?

This is the invisible face of corruption and it happens ALL THE TIME. The British and French arms industries are masters at it, they've been fined countless times - but does anyone ever go to jail? No. And who pays those billions in fines? Shareholders do. You do.

#2 Jun 27, 2017 6:17 pm

Garden of Eaten
Active

Re: The Corrupt, the Corruptors and the Carpet Sweepers

I saw in another thread where Silkee was taken to task for his treatment of Grenada. In his post in this thread he is doing the same thing by calling out Africa but not naming other places and countries that also have a lot of corruption. He instead said that he "Bet there are others......." He is certain about Africa but is gambling, as if he isn't sure, about other countries where corruption is also a normal activity. I hope he wins his bet.

#3 Jun 27, 2017 7:07 pm

New Historian
Active

He's right about Africa, an no amount of sugar-coating will change that fact. They are professionals at it. With the active collusion of the corruptors, I must say, it takes two to tango!

#4 Jun 28, 2017 12:27 am

Garden of Eaten
Active

You miss the point, New Historian. I never disputed corruption in Africa. Rather, as to Silkee, I showed that he readily identifies Africa as having corruption but conveniently, it seems, did not care to mention those other countries and areas of this world, by name, where corruption also is rampant. Is it easier to shame your own but be careful not to offend the others? What a self-destructive way to live!

#5 Jun 28, 2017 7:00 am

Silkee
Active

Listen..... My  to Response to Historian was about his story,not other countries. I like the way people have a tendency to talk about others in the third person on here.Am I a male or female? No wonder this site has little movement.I dont owe you any explanations or definitions either. Am I black or white?More black? Grenadian ?
Did I ever visit or live in Africa? Do you know? Historian writes beautifully.You,on the other hand are a prig. Look that up in the dictionary.

#6 Jun 28, 2017 7:23 am

Slice
Active

But Silkee, why are you blaming it on the site? I am sure it is not the site fault that someone refer to you as male.  people are people, no matter way you go.  I also think that is the beauty of Talkshop, we all agree to disagree. If we all agree, why a Public Forum? 

Silkee  this place is not for the Faint hearted.  If you are, you will be eaten alive, and it is same for almost all public Forums.

#7 Jun 28, 2017 7:32 am

Silkee
Active

Faint hearted? Not me nah......just trying to be civil.I donot  recall one site that I have been on where people feel,they can rip others apart.....newbies........without knowing what they relate to. I can macco amd cuss like the rest( we Grenadian) If we share our experiences and knowledge,there should  be some kind of mutual respect.
You ,Slice said I was a "wannabe". After I gave you info about Greenidge  and ancestory......you did not have the decency to. Apologize and thank me. I was told that this site was booming and to go on it.Now I am not so sure.
We can all learn new things from each other,unless one is ignorant.

Last edited by Silkee (Jun 28, 2017 7:33 am)

#8 Jun 28, 2017 8:25 am

Garden of Eaten
Active

Your last two posts, Silkee, prove the old saying that it is not wise to throw stones if you live in a glass house. Any objective person reading this thread would easily realize that you are being erratic and not "civil" as you claim. Objective readers of this forum would also easily realize that you have a lot to learn. I hope you help yourself and make some progress. It is the wise thing to do.

#9 Jun 28, 2017 9:22 am

Slice
Active

Silkee wrote:

Faint hearted? Not me nah......just trying to be civil.I donot  recall one site that I have been on where people feel,they can rip others apart.....newbies........without knowing what they relate to. I can macco amd cuss like the rest( we Grenadian) If we share our experiences and knowledge,there should  be some kind of mutual respect.
You ,Slice said I was a "wannabe". After I gave you info about Greenidge  and ancestory......you did not have the decency to. Apologize and thank me. I was told that this site was booming and to go on it.Now I am not so sure.
We can all learn new things from each other,unless one is ignorant.

Silkee, It worked for me.  I called you out and I was able to get what ah wanted from you.  See now I am actually chatting with you.  I mention this to someone, I am trying to remember who I mention it too, do remember who it was.  Anyway Silkee, you are real KEWL and it is fun arguing with you.

#10 Jun 28, 2017 9:26 am

Silkee
Active

You are condenscending. What you say makes no sense.There are people posting slackness on here....oh,but that is fine. So you pick and choose who to go after depending on what you think they mean in their posts? Or you can take it a step further and make up your own critical interpertation to makeyourself look good.I have no time for people like this. You didnt complain about the posts about sex and slackness. Maybe those you like? Do me a favor and don't reply. Instead,you can post your own topic and see who replies.(This is for Garden of Eaten not Slice)

Last edited by Silkee (Jun 28, 2017 4:11 pm)

Board footer