You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jun 29, 2017 5:09 pm

New Historian
Active

Carriacou "traders"

Carriacou is the southernmost of the Grenadines chain, a tiny speck in the Caribbean Sea. It is administered by Grenada to the south, being considered too small to look after itself. It has no rivers, little rainfall or groundwater, and most of its eight thousand-odd inhabitants make their living from the sea. Having been ignored by the rest of the world for centuries, Carriacouans, or 'Kayaks', have developed a healthy disregard for 'big islanders' and their petty rules, particularly those relating to Customs and Excise.  Although government statistics list the chief occupation of Carriacouans as fishing, this is only part of the story. The islanders' real genius lies in what they simply refer to as 'trading', more commonly known as smuggling.

Not drugs, but the “harmless” variety of vices - cigarettes, whisky and electronic goods. In this Cayaks truly excel. Extremely skilled mariners, they sail their traditional wooden boats to as far away as Margarita and St Maarten, returning with an array of goods that would make the most discriminating shopper drool. Carriacou is a self-declared free port, and boats come from miles around, at all hours, to stock up on duty-free supplies. Needless to say, the Customs authorities in Grenada don't see it that way, and play a continual game of cat-and-mouse with the 'traders'. A few years ago the government decided to build a Coast Guard base on Petite Saint Vincent – the island went into an uproar, all 900 of them: not on we back yard! The government had to climb down. You might see a 40-foot pirogue heading out to sea late at night, loaded to the gunwhales with cases marked Johnny Walker and Sony. If you have the temerity to ask where they’re going, you’ill be met with a gruff: 'Fishin'!'

In other words: “None of your %$#@! business!”

http://articles.latimes.com/1997-02-02/ … bean-basin

#2 Jun 29, 2017 7:19 pm

Silkee
Active

Re: Carriacou "traders"

I read that Colombian cocaine is big business via boats in the smaller islands. The DEA is aware and patrols.

#3 Jun 29, 2017 8:11 pm

New Historian
Active

Yes unfortunately that's true, but most of it is transported by Venezuelans, very dangerous hombres. Small local boats don't have the speed and range for that.

#4 Jun 29, 2017 9:03 pm

houston
Active

Why is it that world travellers are cocky know it alls?
Nothing more boring than the been there done that know all about its.

#5 Jun 30, 2017 7:53 am

Slice
Active

I have not been to Carriacou.  The trip was planned the last time I was in Grenada, but then the Plumber said he was to take care of a leak at 8am and he did not show up until 6pm that day.  I swear my next trip, I am going.  wifee said you get tied up me and me son going.

The most wonderful person I have met in my entire life was ah woman, we use to call Aunty Beulah. She  was from Carriacou and married to me uncle.  Lord may she rest in peace, she was Christ in the flesh.

Last edited by Slice (Jul 01, 2017 8:27 am)

#6 Jun 30, 2017 7:58 am

New Historian
Active

houston wrote:

Why is it that world travellers are cocky know it alls?
Nothing more boring than the been there done that know all about its.

Literally laughing out loud. Sorry to bore you, but you better get used to it! Or better yet don't waste your time reading it. Stay in your cave.

#7 Jun 30, 2017 8:10 am

Slice
Active

I ent bored. I enjoy your pics and post. Keep on posting and bragging.  Did I detect some jealousy in Houston?

#8 Jun 30, 2017 8:49 am

New Historian
Active

Slice wrote:

I ent bored. I enjoy your pics and post. Keep on posting and bragging.  Did I detect some jealousy in Houston?

Thank you sir.

#9 Jun 30, 2017 11:18 am

Silkee
Active

New Historian,you keep on doing what you do.I detect things on here with some that are not favorable.

#10 Jun 30, 2017 7:04 pm

houston
Active

That was Houston being an a-hole. Not favourable? Get used to it.

Board footer