You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jun 30, 2017 8:27 am

Slice
Active

TALKING ABOUT AH DILEMA. AH JUST CAN'T DECIDE.

For the past year, ah made up me mind, after 36 years I had it, I am retiring. The house is almost done.  I already started buying stuff to take back home.  I am ready for the big move.  It seems everyday now, someone gets on my last nerve.  stuff I use to ignore I can't ignore it no more. I am living on edge, that is how life for me these days.

Then my director got promoted to the building assistance director.  The very first thing he said to me during my evaluation is, Tony in a few months you New director will be in place, and I have ah favor to ask,  he said I know you are planning on retirement in the near future, could you please stay, to train the New director? I could not reply.  I was stunned, and all I did was smile.

This guy was so good to me, I do not know how to tell him, HELL NO.  And that is where I am, stuck between ah rock and ah Hard place.

My worry is now ah have to totally adjustment my thinking and ah doh know if I am willing to do that.

In a way it is going to be very difficult to say no to him and also adjust my retirement date.

#2 Jun 30, 2017 10:45 am

New Historian
Active

Re: TALKING ABOUT AH DILEMA. AH JUST CAN'T DECIDE.

Isn't it you who say you hate 90% about life in Grenada, or am I mixed up? Each to their own, but for me, moving back was the best move I ever made! Try and don't bring a left hand car, low resale value. Get a Japanese "deportee" - they're great!!

And tell your boss to go eff himself lol!!

#3 Jun 30, 2017 10:55 am

Real Distwalker
Active

It seems to me that you find yourself in a good negotiating position.  Ask for a bonus to stay on.  Make it worth your while.  I mean, you would do it for a million dollars, right?  Of course you would.  Having resolved that, it is just a matter of negotiating your price.

#4 Jun 30, 2017 11:06 am

Silkee
Active

Are you full retirement age for social security? Will you get a pension? Health care benefits? I would go to HR and see what you will be getting,first of all.
Dont forget,you can stay in Grenada and come back every year,or do six months.
What are you gaining by training someone new? More money?
Making a complete move back can be good or bad.
I know in my own family and circle,most do the six month or yearly thing.
What will you be doing there to keep yourself going?
The financial comparisons are important.
After one month there,I am ready to head home. Vacation there and full time there are two different things.
Big decisions Slice......do what will be good for you long term.

#5 Jun 30, 2017 11:16 am

Silkee
Active

Historian,you are lucky to still travel and get some stimulation.Retiring there has to be more than sitting on a chair watching up and down.So much socializing,drinking,cooking and one can go mad. Lack of purpose and mental stimulation could make it not as good as one thinks

Last edited by Silkee (Jun 30, 2017 11:46 am)

#6 Jun 30, 2017 12:10 pm

New Historian
Active

Silkee wrote:

Historian,you are lucky to still travel and get some stimulation.Retiring there has to be more than sitting on a chair watching up and down.So much socializing,drinking,cooking and one can go mad. Lack of purpose and mental stimulation could make it not as good as one thinks

Absolutely right, I tried the "retirement" thing - got bored witless! Your brain is like any muscle, if you don't exercise it, it atrophies!

#7 Jun 30, 2017 12:13 pm

Slice
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

It seems to me that you find yourself in a good negotiating position.  Ask for a bonus to stay on.  Make it worth your while.  I mean, you would do it for a million dollars, right?  Of course you would.  Having resolved that, it is just a matter of negotiating your price.

No such deal.  My wife said exactly the same thing.  I work for the City.  all they are asking is for a favor.  No extra monies.

#8 Jun 30, 2017 12:20 pm

Slice
Active

New Historian wrote:

Isn't it you who say you hate 90% about life in Grenada, or am I mixed up? Each to their own, but for me, moving back was the best move I ever made! Try and don't bring a left hand car, low resale value. Get a Japanese "deportee" - they're great!!

And tell your boss to go eff himself lol!!

Come on Hist, ah say ah hate it, but that ent mean, I ent coming to Grenada.  As Expat said to me, just go with the flow.  It will be very difficult to make the transition, but ah guarantee you ah make it.

The most difficult part, will be everyone of me PADNAHS are drinkers and I don't drink.  They fish and ah hate fishing. Ah might hunt again, ah doh know.

Doh worry New Historian, ah go do what is necessary.  Slice will adjust.

Last edited by Slice (Jun 30, 2017 12:22 pm)

#9 Jun 30, 2017 12:22 pm

Silkee
Active

You answered your own question.What a nerve to be asked such a "favor". Bet he wouldnt do it if he was you.
Get a paper list A and B pros and cons of everything.....

#10 Jun 30, 2017 12:31 pm

Slice
Active

Silkee wrote:

But Silkee, ah tink you missing the most important point.  Me PADNAHs and them go to bed when they want, they wake when they want.  and all they are doing is having fun.  The worst day in Grenada is the best day in my part of the world.

While  I was there in January of this year, I was invited to  about 10 cooks.

Manicou,  tattoo, and fish waters.  can't bring meself to eating the manicou and Tattoo no more, but ah eating the fish.

I think it is the overall peace of mind.

And oh yea, ah forgot, my neighbor dives for lobster.  for EC$100.00 I can get about five big lobsters.

Board footer