You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jul 04, 2017 3:59 am

Calypso
Active

TRADITION OR RACISM: BLACK MEN USED AS PALLBEARERS IN PERU

http://nypost.com/2013/07/19/a-controve … mployment/

This seems to be one of the well-paid jobs black men can find in Peru, South America, carrying coffins. Blacks in Peru and in South and Central America remained the poorest of the poor. A change through revolution could improve their social status.

#2 Jul 04, 2017 9:34 am

New Historian
Active

Re: TRADITION OR RACISM: BLACK MEN USED AS PALLBEARERS IN PERU

"A change through revolution could improve their social status."

Why it have to be through revolution? What kind of revolution?

#3 Jul 04, 2017 9:52 am

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

"A change through revolution could improve their social status."

Why it have to be through revolution? What kind of revolution?

The same type of revolution that Haiti, Cuba and other countries have been through to push change.

#4 Jul 04, 2017 9:59 am

New Historian
Active

God help them then!

#5 Jul 04, 2017 10:09 am

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

God help them then!

Of course he did. God is a being of war. Look buddy, I can understand that you are an atheist while I am a believer. Please have some respect for my belief.

#6 Jul 04, 2017 10:10 am

New Historian
Active

What God have to do with this? I was using the phrase metaphorically, duh. Jesus you people with the knee-jerk reaction. Pun intended.

#7 Jul 04, 2017 10:18 am

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

What God have to do with this? I was using the phrase metaphorically, duh. Jesus you people with the knee-jerk reaction. Pun intended.

A simple play with the word "God" should not be taken likely. I sense a hint of sarcasm in your tone. He has nothing to do with the  situation in Peru. He permits it to happen until the black people begin to strike back!

#8 Jul 04, 2017 10:43 am

New Historian
Active

Oh "Gord" you people really take yourselves and your God too seriously! So you can't "take God's name in vain"?

The Old testament is nothing but a bunch of ill-informed superstitition.

#9 Jul 04, 2017 11:14 am

Real Distwalker
Active

I don't think an attempt at a revolution in Peru by those of African descent would likely improve their situation.   Quite the opposite.  They represent about 10 percent of the population.

They are definitely an oppressed minority and deserve better than what they have but an attempted revolution, I think, would just make things worse.

Had American blacks attempted a revolution against Jim Crow than the path marched by MLK and others, I doubt the outcome would have been as beneficial.  It would have been bloody, ugly and - perhaps - just entrenched Jim Crow for more generations.

#10 Jul 04, 2017 11:14 am

Calypso
Active

New Historian wrote:

Oh "Gord" you people really take yourselves and your God too seriously! So you can't "take God's name in vain"?

The Old testament is nothing but a bunch of ill-informed superstitition.

Look buddy, the young one. It's ok to have your opinion, just don't fight mine down. Thanks.

Board footer