You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#11 Jul 05, 2017 6:00 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: I absolutely love England and all things English...

You have Prussian blood and that makes you just as guilty!

#12 Jul 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Calypso
Active

Calypso wrote:

http://anglicanhistory.org/weston/slaves1918.html

#13 Jul 05, 2017 6:40 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
New Historian wrote:

Have you heard of the concept of collective responsibility, or collective guilt?

I had no more to do with it than you did.  In fact, I bet in your mixed up ancestry you will find slave owners. 

My ancestors were Czechs and Slovaks and they came to America after slavery ended.  How in the hell do I have some kind of 'collective guilt' for something my ancestors had nothing to do with?  How are you free of it when you very likely have slave owning ancestors?

The answer is that neither of us are guilty of anything that happened decades or centuries before we were born.   

Seriously, the idea that I am guilty of something that I didn't do and even my ancestors didn't do is absurd.

Remember it's Calypso you are communicating with. Basically a one perspective/issue poster with a begging bowl tied round their neck.

#14 Jul 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Expat
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:

...But one day a year, well....

Just think had you all not been cheepskates with a tax evasion mentality you would not have the second amendment and hundreds of thousands of your citizens might still be alive.

#15 Jul 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Expat wrote:

Just think had you all not been cheepskates with a tax evasion mentality you would not have the second amendment and hundreds of thousands of your citizens might still be alive.

Everybody in the world has the right to keep and bear arms. It's a natural right.  Most countries, however, violate the right of the people to do so.  God Bless America!

When I was at the Tower of London last summer a tour guide asked an American kid if he liked all this history.  The kid said yes and the guide said, "Well, it could have been your history too if you wouldn't have cheaped out in 1776."

#16 Jul 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

Calypso wrote:

I once commented that I had an ancestor who served in the Prussian Army.  I didn't say he was Prussian.   He most certainly was not.

Even if he was, the fact that I have one great, great, great grandfather who was born a poor peasant in Lithuania and immigrated to America during the Civil War hardly makes me responsible for the Atlantic Slave Trade.

For the record, there is a name for this "guilty blood" theory of yours: Racism.

#17 Jul 05, 2017 9:15 pm

houston
Active

Real Distwalker wrote:
Expat wrote:

Everybody in the world has the right to keep and bear arms. It's a natural right.  Most countries, however, violate the right of the people to do so.  God Bless America!

When I was at the Tower of London last summer a tour guide asked an American kid if he liked all this history.  The kid said yes and the guide said, "Well, it could have been your history too if you wouldn't have cheaped out in 1776."

How did you know he was an American kid, was he about 4 feet high and 190 pounds?

#18 Jul 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Real Distwalker
Active

houston wrote:

How did you know he was an American kid...

Kid had straight teeth.

#19 Jul 06, 2017 9:12 am

Slice
Active

Calypso wrote:

Kaiso, did you take ah moment to think, that you might have ah greater hand in slavery that RD and Expat? This is serious stuff, some of Caribbean folks inherited our masters last name, but some of us were slave owners.

After I read that every Greenidge in Barbados were slave owners, it made me sad and  rethink who I am.

I am not sure if I am ever going to get over tis reality.  The truth is I got a peek into the past sometime ago and again when ah saw how white one of my fore parents, I sorta of ignored it.  Reality was looking at me straight in the eyes, with me grandfather first cousin, right there in Windsor Forest were as white as Lilly.

#20 Jul 06, 2017 9:23 am

Real Distwalker
Active

The portions of Eastern Europe from which my ancestors came were not involved in the slave trade.  Furthermore, my ancestors were poor peasants.  Before that they were serfs in a world of feudalism. 

In fact, they were Slavs.  The English word "slave" derives from the word "Slav" because the Slavic people were enslaved by the Muslims of Spain in the medieval period.

Neither my ancestors or I bear any guilt for slavery.

Board footer