You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Spiceislander Talkshop. We have a new look and new features. Have a look around. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#31 Jul 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Real Distwalker

Re: I absolutely love England and all things English...

Well you can count me in.  There is no other sane reaction to crimes against humanity like slavery other than profound sorrow.

#32 Jul 06, 2017 6:49 pm

houston

New Historian wrote:

"For the record, there is a name for this "guilty blood" theory of yours: Racism."

Bull. By your argument, no country should have to pay the debts or reparations of its former acts, once that former generation dies out. So why is Germany still paying reparations to Israel? Why does America still "support" the reservations? Sorry dude, you don't get a free pass so easy. The abysmal state of Haiti today can be directly linked to the actions of France in the not-so-long past, remember that Haiti was still paying "reverse reparations" to France as recently as 1947 - we can count the amount that is due - then add inflation, plus-plus.

Lots to figure out when it comes to slicing up the pie. Who owes, who gets? When did it begin, where does it end?
Some of the largest corporations today made their fortune while involved with the Nazis and the Holocaust. Volkswagen, Seimens and Bayer to name a few. Should these companies be boycotted into bankruptcy?
What purpose would it serve anyone to shut down companies that produce products for millions of people and employ countless others?

#33 Jul 06, 2017 8:29 pm

Expat

Real Distwalker wrote:

Neither one of us bears any personal guilt, Slice.

What I wanna know is how much should the Windrush generation and their descendants pay towards the Indeptedness of Britain if they as the generations of Born in Britain Whites have had as much access to the supposed wealth they have gained out of the slave trade.

In fairness, those early settlers were on British soil before me, and as adults were gaining benefits I didn't get until many years later.

Do the mixed rate offspring get a 50% discount?

Last edited by Expat (Jul 06, 2017 8:30 pm)

#34 Jul 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Expat

Real Distwalker wrote:
houston wrote:

How did you know he was an American kid...

Kid had straight teeth.

Be real, he was kinda whiny, and he talked through his nose.

I would suspect there are an awful lot of people on welfare in a certain country that don't have straight teeth.

Thanks to the NHS back in the day I had 6 teeth taken out in one go to allow mine to grow straight due to overcrowding of the jaw.

Result, it is only now at a superior age that teeth are on the move, and that is due mainly to grinding teeth in my sleep. The treatment was..... free.

#35 Jul 06, 2017 9:08 pm

Real Distwalker

Oh, I thought we were making jokes about national stereotypes.   In any case, American welfare cases don't generally end up on tours at the Tower of London.

You really need to get over this "free" delusion.  You have never had free treatment in the UK.  TANSTAAFL  Look it up.

Finally, I would say based on what I saw in Merry Old England last summer, the Brits aren't really in a position to make fun of Americans for being fat anymore. smile

#36 Jul 06, 2017 9:13 pm

Real Distwalker

National stereotypes...

0Flwj.png

#37 Jul 06, 2017 9:22 pm

Real Distwalker

National Stereotypes...

merica-shirt-meme-funny_1.jpg

#38 Jul 06, 2017 9:27 pm

Real Distwalker

National Stereotypes...

Jamaican-yea-mon-stereotypes-pic-source-livingwithballs-com.jpg

#39 Jul 08, 2017 6:41 pm

Expat

Real Distwalker wrote:

Oh, I thought we were making jokes about national stereotypes.   In any case, American welfare cases don't generally end up on tours at the Tower of London.

You really need to get over this "free" delusion.  You have never had free treatment in the UK.  TANSTAAFL  Look it up.

Finally, I would say based on what I saw in Merry Old England last summer, the Brits aren't really in a position to make fun of Americans for being fat anymore. smile

You were making jokes, so I rebutted, ..... all in good taste...:) yes there ARE lardies around, but percentage wise I think less than the good old USA,,,?

It is paid for obviously. We pay National Insurance and a percentage of the taxes, go towards pensions and health care.... But these are NOT rip off charges. It is FREE at the service point, not free of charge. You don't have to look over your shoulder after major surgery for a bill that will make you insolvent for the rest of your life because it was excluded from your policy.

I am going to have to agree with you that in recent years the NHS has gone from a shining example to the free World on how to run a care system. To a sad and depleted shadow of itself.

I believe the pretty sudden inrush of mainly new Eurozone immigrants has stretched the service to the limits. Combined with pay freezes that have priced people out of employment leaving the slack to be taken up by poached nurses etc from mostly 3rd World countries which is a travesty in itself.

Combine that with what seems to be a deliberate Government policy to divide the service into something like 26 regions so that it can be more easily sold off into the PRIVATE sector. Something the deny, but watch this space.

In short they are running it into the ground by degrees to make privitisation more palatable.

Last edited by Expat (Jul 08, 2017 6:47 pm)

#40 Jul 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Real Distwalker

Well, no matter what I say, you know I love good old England.  It is my motherland, culturally if not genetically.

Board footer