You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jul 09, 2017 2:23 pm

New Historian
Active

Jamaica's love affair with the gun

Jamaicans love guns: the look of guns, the lure of guns and most of all the sound of guns. From ever since, the number one movie star in the ghetto is the gunslingin’, rootin’-tootin’-shootin’ bad-man! Jamaicans love nothing more than a real bad bad-man, preferably one armed to the teeth. Starting as far back as 1948 with the legendary Rhygin , on whose life the movie The Harder They Come was based, Jamaica has seen a long line of “Top Rankings”: Dennis “Copper” Barth, Claudie Massop, Buckie Marshall (joint instigators of the short-lived Peace Treaty and the One Love Peace Concert of 1978), Jim Brown and most lately his son Dudus Coke , who was extradited to America in 2010, after a military blockade and invasion of his stronghold of Trench Town, which left 76 people dead. There are so many guns in Jamaica, it’s like the Wild West.

It was five o’clock in the afternoon at the Devon House corner, one of Kingston’s busiest intersections. Gridlock. As usual, the “Star boys” were walking among the stationary cars, selling that copies of Jamaica’s scandalous evening paper. All of a sudden:

“Tief! Tief!!”

One of the Star boys had grabbed a woman’s gold chain, and took off running between the cars. She got out of her car, and bellowed.

Blam! Blam! Blam! Blam! A blaze of gunshots rang out, all finding their target: the Star boy’s fleeing back. He went down like a sack of potatoes, dead before he hit the ground. Within a few minutes, the police arrived on scene.

“What happened here, citizens?” They asked.

“Well, officah, dis likkle tiefin rass ‘ere, did tief dis ‘ooman gold chain, de one still inna him han’, and me tek out my licence firearm an’ shoot ‘im dong, officah.”

“And me!”

“And me!”

“And me!”

The police were impressed.

“Well done, citizens! We need more citizen justice, just like this!” And that was it, the police dumped the hapless tief’s body into the car trunk and hauled him off to the morgue. No questions, no statements, no names.

Life cheap bwoy.

#2 Jul 09, 2017 8:01 pm

Calypso
Active

Re: Jamaica's love affair with the gun

No wonder the tiny island has  one of the highest murder rates in the world.

#3 Jul 09, 2017 9:10 pm

Expat
Active

Calypso wrote:

No wonder the tiny island has  one of the highest murder rates in the world.

Murder rate, or tiefing rate?

#4 Jul 09, 2017 9:26 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Jamaicans love guns: the look of guns, the lure of guns and most of all the sound of guns. From ever since, the number one movie star in the ghetto is the gunslingin’, rootin’-tootin’-shootin’ bad-man! Jamaicans love nothing more than a real bad bad-man, preferably one armed to the teeth. Starting as far back as 1948 with the legendary Rhygin , on whose life the movie The Harder They Come was based, Jamaica has seen a long line of “Top Rankings”: Dennis “Copper” Barth, Claudie Massop, Buckie Marshall (joint instigators of the short-lived Peace Treaty and the One Love Peace Concert of 1978), Jim Brown and most lately his son Dudus Coke , who was extradited to America in 2010, after a military blockade and invasion of his stronghold of Trench Town, which left 76 people dead. There are so many guns in Jamaica, it’s like the Wild West.

It was five o’clock in the afternoon at the Devon House corner, one of Kingston’s busiest intersections. Gridlock. As usual, the “Star boys” were walking among the stationary cars, selling that copies of Jamaica’s scandalous evening paper. All of a sudden:

“Tief! Tief!!”

One of the Star boys had grabbed a woman’s gold chain, and took off running between the cars. She got out of her car, and bellowed.

Blam! Blam! Blam! Blam! A blaze of gunshots rang out, all finding their target: the Star boy’s fleeing back. He went down like a sack of potatoes, dead before he hit the ground. Within a few minutes, the police arrived on scene.

“What happened here, citizens?” They asked.

“Well, officah, dis likkle tiefin rass ‘ere, did tief dis ‘ooman gold chain, de one still inna him han’, and me tek out my licence firearm an’ shoot ‘im dong, officah.”

“And me!”

“And me!”

“And me!”

The police were impressed.

“Well done, citizens! We need more citizen justice, just like this!” And that was it, the police dumped the hapless tief’s body into the car trunk and hauled him off to the morgue. No questions, no statements, no names.

Life cheap bwoy.

Well, it is not gun ownership, or use that is the problem, it is as you alluded, the mentality of the folk in whose hand they rest.

In RD territory they hold them for self defence, and hunting, everyone knows it, and gun crime is minimal.

In the UK, I have been shooting since 1989. In the clubs I have attended you would be hard pressed to find a more stable bunch of nerdy enthusiast less likely to run amok.

There are regrettably too many gun deaths in the UK at present, but these are virtually all crimes utilising illegal weapons, which means not held by legal firearms owners. So restricting gun ownership would solve nothing. As they found out when they banned hand guns.

Only the other day 60 odd hand guns were stopped at the docks being brought in by some East Europeans. Now whether they would have been sold to anybody that wanted them, or maybe there is some east european mafia being formed who knows.

But it sure as hell aint legal owners that punch holes in bits of paper that you have to worry about.

Board footer