You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the the original, the one and only, Spiceislander Talkshop. The site remains Grenadian owned and hosted in the United States.

#1 Jul 11, 2017 10:24 pm

New Historian
Active

PAIN!!

#2 Jul 12, 2017 7:45 am

Slice
Active

Re: PAIN!!

I do think it was because of West Indies fast Bowlers the helmet was instituted. I am also thinking, you don't see those kind of bounce anymore.  Was the West Indian Fast Bowlers very special?

Here is another issue you just do not see anymore, four slips and ah gully, why?

One more, these West Indian fast bowlers were able to get the ball to bounce from anywhere.   I see none of these bouncers lately.

#3 Jul 12, 2017 2:29 pm

gripe
Active

"Here is another issue you just do not see anymore, four slips and ah gully, why?"

The answer is largely because you do not have the devastatingly quick bowlers as the West Indies produced who could bounce at various lengths and have batsmen wishing to get out, nicking to slips or pushing straight to the gully, voluntarily or involuntarily. The type of field you described is extremely attacking; you do that when you have ravenous speedsters as those West Indian pacers of yesteryear.

#4 Jul 12, 2017 8:10 pm

Expat
Active

I have to admit that as a person who doesn't really follow sport, back then due to my Trini partner I was watching cricket, and even went to the Oval... big deal for me.

I was not really aware of historical playing and what was and wasn't allowed.

But I have to admit to being pretty disgusted at the endless reign of the bouncer which seemed to be unsporting in the extreme with no other intention other than to injure the batsman. Whack ball on the elbow, whack ball in the groin, whack ball in the face. Gatting as I recall had his nose pretty well spread all over his face.

The W.I. of old were a breed apart, but I was pretty disgusted by the bouncers.

#5 Jul 12, 2017 8:51 pm

New Historian
Active

Yes there is that "un-nice" aspect to it, people got seriously hurt, and I'm not surprised that you would single out the Windies for criticism. But, we weren't the only ones hurling bouncers, it all started by the "bodyline" scandal of the 30's, started by the Australians. It's just that in the 70s and 80s, we were kings of cricket, and like all kings, our subjects chafed under our heels lol!!

#6 Jul 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Expat
Active

New Historian wrote:

Yes there is that "un-nice" aspect to it, people got seriously hurt, and I'm not surprised that you would single out the Windies for criticism. But, we weren't the only ones hurling bouncers, it all started by the "bodyline" scandal of the 30's, started by the Australians. It's just that in the 70s and 80s, we were kings of cricket, and like all kings, our subjects chafed under our heels lol!!

I commented on what I saw, I did state I have little interest in sport, and certain know little of crickets or any other sports history.

#7 Jul 12, 2017 9:05 pm

New Historian
Active

Aha. In that case, please allow me to introduce myself:

Board footer